Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Canadian WHAT!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:15 pm 

I just purchased a canadian hunter d18 It was hardly used and after i shot it I can see why. I had to shim up the rear sight as high as it would go to hit at 6 yards. I have owned numerous guns and this has to have the heavyest trigger pull of them all probably over 10 lbs.Is there any hope to make it shootable or should i return it to my lgs? i was looking at a slavia 630 but they wanted 240 dollars for it. Didnt the Slavia 630 go for 125 dollars or so at home hardware a few years ago? Does anybody know where i can get a 630. Thanks for any replies. BTW I have a Diana 34 but looking for something for the basement. tHANKS

Post subject: Re: Canadian WHAT!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:57 pm 

Hi.Alx here.How's it goin'?I have a 620... It's posted in the for sale section.I want a hundered bucks for it.It's a quiet rifle.Maybe you're interested.Have a good night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:23 pm 

Canadian Hunter is just the marketing name. It's not made in Canada.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:55 pm 
Site Moderator

The prices on the Slavia 630 & 631 went through the roof a few years ago. Yes, they were $119-$149 a while back. Many dealers quit stocking them because of the new prices.

The sight issue with the D18 is known. I tried one out and had the same grief. The one that I tested was the original with the metal front sight (post in tunnel). I pushed the front post down as far as possible and raised the rear sight but POI was still too low. I have seen newer Canadian Hunters with plastic fibre optic sights but I'm not sure if they are any better for sighting in.

The D18 trigger is a primitive direct contact with the piston rod. I polished up a friend's D18 trigger and it turned out okay. I used fine emery paper and an Arkansas stone on the contact points and applied moly paste to all friction areas on the trigger and piston rod. Big difference but it's still a bit creepy to keep it safe.

If I remember correctly, the Canadian Hunter D18 is a refined Xisico B11 rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:12 pm 

This one is an old steel sighted model I think I will return it .The 630 caught my eye because it was listed as 600fps.It seems most of the springers are under 500 or over 800 fps. Is the slavia 630 worth 240 dollars or would a diana panther for 150 dollars be a better deal? Thanks for any replies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:27 pm 
Site Moderator

A Slavia 630 is not worth $240, IMO. That's too close to the price of a Weihrauch HW30S.

A Diana 24 or 240 might be a good option for around $190-$200.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:28 am 

I had the same problem with my Canadian Hunter, I actually broke the rear sight trying to adjust it. I bought a Mendoza rear peep sight
from Scopes/Ammo. It was the only sight that I could raise enough to fix the problem. Not sure if he still sells them, they were just a cheaper version
of the Williams sights.