Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:49 am
Posts: 125
Location: Brampton, Ontario
I'm working on a Daisy Avanti 747 and I'm trying to figure out how to fix this particular problem.

The linkage in the pumping arm is loose. It looks like they are sort of crimped into place at the factory, but this one maybe wasn't crimped hard enough and it slips out fairly easily. You can see in the picture there's 3 marks on the pin, that should have deformed the edge enough to hold it into place.

Image
(click to embiggen)

It's a real problem when it drops partway out while you're pumping as that can put a dent on the side of the tube when it closes. It's also a problem if it drops partway out while the pump arm is closed, as it can then get trapped inside the tube and sort of just jam the whole thing shut.

I don't have access to a machine shop, pretty much limited to hand tools around the house.

The only ideas I've got at the moment are to try using something like a bit of JB Weld at the top and bottom, to fix it in place while leaving the middle unglued of course so the parts still move smoothly.

Or, I have an anvil-shaped-object and a big hammer, and a punch. I could try and redo the punches (there are 3 on top and 3 on bottom) to see if I could get it to stay in place that way.

Apart from this issue, the pistol works pretty well. Super-accurate and was doing about 340fps with RWS Hobbys. I have taken it apart and given it a thorough clean and a light lube, so it's just this link pin problem that has me stumped now.

Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:23 am 
Offline
Supporting Members
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 4924
Location: Saint John NB
Drill a small hole through the center of the pin.....then use a tapered punch to cause a small flare at the end. Put the pin back in and do the same to the other side bracing it on a vice or anvil if you have one. I had the exact same thing happen to my 717......

_________________
Jonathan

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:49 am
Posts: 125
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Thanks Jonathan!

I never would have thought to do that.

Sounds like the hardest part will be getting the hole through the pin. I'll see if my hand-drill can manage it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:21 pm 
Offline
Supporting Members
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 4924
Location: Saint John NB
Just make sure to use oil on the drill bit and take your time. Those small drill bits used in a hand drill tend to break if you rush. Slow and steady.......

_________________
Jonathan

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:49 am
Posts: 125
Location: Brampton, Ontario
It worked! :D

I ended up putting the pin in the drill and the drill bits in the vice, and just went slowly as you said. I ended up with a hole about 3/32" or so... a bit less than 1/8". Started smaller then slowly enlarged it a few times.

It took a few good strikes with the hammer and punch to set it then a few more taps with the hammer to get it sitting just right in the pumping arm.

Image
(click to embiggen)

It seems to be working perfectly again. All that's left is to smooth out the little dent in the pumping tube, next time I take it all apart.

Thanks again for the help Jonathan!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:44 pm 
Offline
Supporting Members
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 4924
Location: Saint John NB
Glad to help!!

_________________
Jonathan

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO