Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:55 am 

Breech is cut on an angle... I noticed the pellet skirt is flush at top but sticks out on bottom, so I am thinking the bottom of the skirt gets damaged ...it seems that I can use a Bic pen to push it in a little farther...or try pellets a little smaller than 5.5.

I have read of people opening up the hole a bit so the pellet fits farther in...sort of a recrowning of the breech end.

Has anyone had this issue?

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:16 pm 

What sort of gun?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:13 am 

A Diana or clone no doubt. Ideally you want the skirt in far enough that it's sealing all the way around. It probably won't hurt much if the bottom isn't sealing, but typically a firm push with the finger does the trick and it won't touch the breech to be deformed either. If concerned you can simply open the barrel again and look. I would not seat the pellet any deeper than needed because the deeper you go the less pressure is built at the seal, and the less pressure there is the harder the piston slams into the breech which is what breaks scopes. Same with smaller and/or lighter pellets. It depends on the power of the gun, but it's better for the scope to use pellets of a mid to heavy weight. If you have a 500fps model then it depends on how power was reduced. If a a full power Diana 34 or clone then I'd try to use 14.3gr, if a 350 or clone then 18gr would be better. Those weights typically shoot better all around anyway.
Now if the breech for the pellet isn't beveled and the skirt really is sticking out too far, then I would bevel the top side just enough to make it work. I can post a pix of a correctly shaped Diana breech if you need.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:32 am 

Chevota wrote:
A Diana or clone no doubt. Ideally you want the skirt in far enough that it's sealing all the way around. It probably won't hurt much if the bottom isn't sealing, but typically a firm push with the finger does the trick and it won't touch the breech to be deformed either. If concerned you can simply open the barrel again and look. I would not seat the pellet any deeper than needed because the deeper you go the less pressure is built at the seal, and the less pressure there is the harder the piston slams into the breech which is what breaks scopes. Same with smaller and/or lighter pellets. It depends on the power of the gun, but it's better for the scope to use pellets of a mid to heavy weight. If you have a 500fps model then it depends on how power was reduced. If a a full power Diana 34 or clone then I'd try to use 14.3gr, if a 350 or clone then 18gr would be better. Those weights typically shoot better all around anyway.
Now if the breech for the pellet isn't beveled and the skirt really is sticking out too far, then I would bevel the top side just enough to make it work. I can post a pix of a correctly shaped Diana breech if you need.

" I would bevel the top side just enough to make it work." I would advise caution here....screw THAT up and there's no turning back.This thread might help.
http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... ic=39876.0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:23 am 

Chevota wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a closer look....it seems that it is common with a D34 clone...If the skirt looks like it isn't being deformed I won't worry about it. It's a new to me .22 barrel and the pellet seems to stick out a lot more than with the .177 barrel, but the shots aren't wandering so I guess it's ok.

Jim