Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 pm 

Will do lauchlin ;) I will try to word a little more carefully to be less offensive, meet you half way uc...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:37 pm 

All good info gents. So as I found out yesterday, Walmart does NOT accept returns on Crosman guns. Or thats what they told me. I being stuck with a gun with a frozen pivot bolt got me thinking and I was able to get it out. I made a video if anyone wants to see how I did it. Note to self: Never reef that damn bolt down. EVER. Anyway, I'm going to do a full relube with moly paste, brass pivot washers, and maybe a trigger if money allows. Thank you all for all the info and opinions.
-TheBeattie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:06 pm 

I've bought three from Walmart, and returned two. One was a Titan with the classic nitro leak, traded it for another. The other was that Ruger MK1 pistol, returned it after thinking omg what a pos. But I'm in the US so maybe policy is different or they changed it after a zillion returns... I was thinking, if you ever hadda need you could say it fired all by itself and put a hole in the wall, then ask if they want accept liability if the next one puts an eye out.
I've never had a bolt lock up on me, but I hear about them doing it all the time. Also, not sure if this would be of any help but Crosman also has a different bolt with a longer head but straight sides. You have to sand the taper into the head to fit, but I was thinking maybe it won't come out so easily. I'd have to look again but I think the slot is deeper and maybe wider for more torque. I barely tighten mine and rarely ever have them work out, but I always attributed that to the prep work and super grease I use on all of it. I suppose about half my guns have the different bolt now. Just a thought... The reason I ended up with those bolts is they ship those when you order the correct one. I guess somebody put them in the wrong box and it's been that way for at least two years now... An internet friend told me they were the same bolt as his 2006 Remington, I think Genesis?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:02 am 

Chevota here is my old Stoeger X5 breach issue. You can see the misalignment.

Here is the new one.

Old seal.
New seal.

Didn't get into investigating the issue tonight. It's been a few days since I shot and I got ......distracted.

More to come....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:01 pm 

They look pretty normal, and rather clean so I'm guessing low miles? The alignment on both is normal. The straighter one is more desirable, but you can always do some sanding to make the droopy one better. And I still think rubber/Buna O-rings are worth a try. Check the breech face too, often they have rough machine marks which cause the plastic seal to leak, and often bad enough to make the rubber ones leak too. I always smooth the breech, and on some I wonder what they used to machine it. Same with the sides where the pivot washers ride, all need smoothing imo. The sides for the washers just need touching up, but the breech needs to be much smoother imo. I have before/after pix if you want. Smoothing the breech also bring the barrel up a tad, so a bonus.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:32 am 

Thanks for the input Chevota. I'll look into better seals for sure but for now " it is what it is'. Next week I will have time to do a little clean up on the older Stoeger. If it all goes well I'll do the new one. I must admit it's nice to have a spare to play with.

More to come....