Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:14 pm 

I can't speak for Crosmans generally, but I do know the LW barrel for them has a great reputation for precision. My 2240 worked out very well with all my modifications. I've been able to hit the spoon at 55 metres quite a few times with the Crosman 18" barrel, factory crown (didn't see any flaws so I didn't re-crown it), HiPAC with 1 extension to get me into high pressure air and a lot more shots per fill, and a tubular stock. Put an Simmons (Bushnell sub-brand) 4x rimfire scope on it, just 4x and costing me $50 from Reliable. So it's a fairly budget airgun as mod projects go, mostly my labour adding value.

I haven't shot it with a better scope so don't know how much of my missing has to do with insufficient magnification, but it seems pretty solid at closer ranges. Not pellet-on-pellet accurate. I should try shooting a couple of targets from a rest next time at Mission, at 30 metres or so as that's probably the practical limit for such a scope, and see what sort of groups I can squeeze out of it. Most of my shooting has been either free-standing or from a casual rest such as a monopod, where body movement makes any inaccuracy of the thing somewhat irrelevant. The other day I did try a couple of long-ish shots un-rested, at 28 metres and 36 metres, both at dime-sized targets. Both clean hits. So I'm feeling pretty good about this 2240's accuracy. And grateful for the wonderful trajectory charts one can get out of Chairgun Pro. Such a great toolkit for figuring out points of impact at whatever range with any number of variables thrown in. Seems if I put in all the right information, do my Chrony testing with a given setup and pellet, hitting a target from a rest is almost automated. Now I just have to move up to a serious scope sometime... but for now I'm enjoying the challenge of using a couple of very economical airguns to try HFT. Sometime down the road I'll get more serious about the hardware, like with 10 metre air pistol where I started by using a Gamo Center and got my scores over 500 before getting a semi-serious Baikal 46m, then got over 540 before letting myself invest in a Pardini.

The only other Crosman accuracy experience I have first-hand was with my little brother's 1377 back in the late 1980's. He'd bought the thing to have some fun on breaks while tree planting up North. But he was so impressed by its accuracy that I made him some custom grip panels to improve the hold. When plinking with it in the back yard we found it was very hard to miss nickel-sized targets out to 20 metres or so, shot after shot, usually pumping 5 times. Hated the pumping and clacking, but dang, that thing was easily as accurate as my 46m. And the 46m can put every single shot into a dime-coverable hole at 10 metres from a rest.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:42 pm 

Here's the ghetto set-up I slapped together for my 2240.

Used a Weaver mini rail I had kicking around. You can just make it out in this picture.

If you turn the lights down low and squint it looks only half bad. Ha ha!

More to come....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:54 pm 

Hey, if it's stable on the plastic breech then that's great, all that really matters.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:55 pm 

Hey as long as it stays on for forty plus shots!!!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:43 pm 

Lengthened the stock sight notch to except the Weaver Rail. It's on using a longer sight retainer/rear plug screw. As long as I don't smash it around it should hold... Cut the notch a bit to long. Darn! I was hoping it would secure the front. I'll address that later. Maybe some epoxy as I have no way of running a second screw as I t will effect the bolt action.

Took a trip to Princess Auto today. Was thinking about grabbing a mono shooting stick. Found this....

Walked out with this....

5 tins oF JSB Exact RS and some of my favourite camo sheets.

I am a bad man.....

More to come....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:19 pm 

You could drill right through near the front of the now longer flat, then tap the hole through both aluminum and the plastic. Use a short enough bolt or set screw so it doesn't protrude on the inside. That should lock it together fairly solidly. Epoxies don't really stick very well on that sort of plastic. If I were gluing that I'd probably use a good grade of contact cement. Or maybe that ultra-sticky double-sided tape Mike used to put the sticky rubberized cloth on his Pneuma.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:56 pm 

Cool Crossman 2240, all of them

Just one question, do you guys fill them with air or CO2?

Nice guns, I've seen the ones which have been totally chromed and new wooden grips, those are sick, but extremely nice. It seems like it will take a little bit of sanding, hard work, and some custom parts.

Here are some that looks really Good.

Attachment:
2240.jpg
2240.jpg [ 72.7 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Attachment:
2240 C.jpg
2240 C.jpg [ 65.36 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Attachment:
2240C.jpg
2240C.jpg [ 6.35 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:11 pm 

I'm using air, as I don't like having to spend good money on little steel tubes all the time. So I got the HiPAC for my 2240 and one extension tube. Not recommending the HiPAC though as it was more than a bit of a headache getting it to stop leaking at the front fill valve and at the threaded tube joins, and I had to customize the front of my valve body and fit a very hard plastic stepped seal to get that end to stop leaking as well. And reinforce the valve's body with a couple of screws going in through the main tube, to resist the screwing-in pressure needed against the valve seal. And the owner of Powermax (HiPAC maker) was anything but cooperative in resolving my various issues, a truly troubled man with a profoundly abusive attitude. Still, all that said (and that's the very short version of my struggle to make it all work), I very much like the finally-working result. Being able to pump to 3,000psi and getting so many shots out of it per fill, with only a very slow leak (about 100psi per day) is nice. No leak at all (like my Brocock Atomic) would be nicer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:41 pm 

CO2 for me. Works well as long as you keep a shot count and don't wait till there is an obvious drop in foster effecting your trajectory. 25 shots is where I change out. Although I might switch out CO2 at 20 for the comp. better safe than sorry.

Real down side to CO2 is temperature drastically effects it's pressure. It hates being cold. I keep spare cartridges in my pants pockets to keep them warm. I try and wait 30 seconds between shots to let pressure build. I doubt it really helps but I do what I can.

Bottom line for me and the 2240. It's an iconic air gun. I have had mine for about five years and love it. Every air gun enthusiast seems to have one. Some lots....

More to come....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:28 pm 

Only a few weeks to go. I'm getting excited.

I've been practicing with my new folding stool and shooting stick and things are looking good. Wish I had a longer shooting range at hand. 10 meters is good but it would be nice to stretch out some groups and start working on some refrence points with the scope.. I know what I will be working at when I get to Mission on the 29th.

More to come....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 pm 

Yep, I can't wait!

I'll bring the chrony again, for sure. I've got some extra of that double-sided tape if you want, as well. I'll be bringing some de-pinger material and more of the tactile rubber material with tape on the back for Morris, too, if anyone else wants some.

And this new thing:

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:00 pm 

Wow! That looks nice. I take it that's the LW barreled 2240 mentioned in your signature.

I have to work at 6pm so I'll be there till 3 at the latest. Looking forward to a little pistol shooting. I suck but hey this will spur me on to improve.

Down the road I want to have my 2240 set-up to be used as a pistol or carbine. I will be looking a sight options that allow for a seamless swap. Realistically the standard 2240 on CO2 has a limited range. I'm thinking a good set of open sights with a red dot that switches out is the way to go.

More to come....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:11 pm 

That came out real nice Mike! I have a pair of grips I am reshaping to fit me!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 pm 

Yeah, I really like how it turned out. Yep, that's the one with the LW barrel. Seems to shoot nicely.

Still need to do a bit of work on the grips, but it feels great already. Did you get YHZ grips too, Rick? I was pleasantly surprised for the cost.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:43 pm 

OK Guys, the 2240 is technically a pistol, right? so what do you do for a rifle? My favorite has to be the new Bulldog, but for ft shooting I do love this gun.

I wanted one as soon as I saw it. Unfortunately, not in Canada.

Attachment:
Outdoorsman.jpg
Outdoorsman.jpg [ 10.33 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next