Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 pm 

hi all,
wayne here from the queen charlotte islands, on the west coast of BC.
north of vancouver island, just south of alaska.

anyway my reason for joining up here is all about my 12 year old daughter.
she target shoots here on the islands, has her own 22 rifle, and does exceedingly well- she won the annual turkey shoot last year, and won it again just a few days ago.
with a 49/50 score- but i have seen her shoot a lot better too!
anyway- with the range being out of town quite a ways, i would like to get her a good target air rifle- so that she can shoot at home here more regularly than waiting on me. i have an old 40' by 30' enclosed barn here, which should suffice.
when she was learning last year, she was working with an older fella here , an accomplished bisley/target shooter who shot at a provincial level, and she shot quite a lot with his FWB 300s. which she shot incredibly well with.

so i am looking for a good( as good as i can afford) target air rifle, with aperture sights, her 22 is an adult size, and she shoots it just fine- she is a tall lanky 12, almost 13 year old.

1.so which forum should i post on?
2. and any recommendations for make and type of air rifle will be greatly appreciated.

her "coach" says she has great potential, just needs to practice more often! so i really want to try and make that happen- she is going to pay for a portion of the rifle.
cheers, and thanks
wayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:23 pm 

Hi, Wayne - welcome to the CAF!

Never been up to the Charlottes - would love to visit them though.

One suggestion would be the Weihrauch HW30S - a very nice rifle for her to grow with.

I am sure that others will chip in here with many more suggestions.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 am 

You never put a price range down, so hard to know what you can afford.

The FWB 300 that you mention is an excellent choice and the Mini version is a little lighter if that is something you would want. They can be bought from $400 to $600 generally. The Anshutz 380 is also a nice gun but hard to get and usually more expensive. The up-side of this type of gun is not needing CO2 or compressed air.

The TAU 200 is a good rifle, but do not come up for sale that often and you need CO2.

There are some nice compressed air match rifles that come up from time to time, but generally go for $1000 and up and you need a source for compressed air.

The older AA MPR match rifles go on sale occasionally and are very accurate with a real nice adjustable trigger as well. If you can find one, they usually go from $600 to $800.

A single stroke pneumatic (SSP) would also be nice since you do not need anything but pellets. They are usually $600 and up. FWB and Walther made good ones.

In a cheaper range, the Daisy 853 SSP is accurate, but the trigger is hardly match level.

If she is a serious shooter, I would stick with the match type rifles, but that's me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:59 pm 

Welcome to you and your daughter, Wayne. The Queen Charlotte's are so lovely, 3 days of the year when the sun shines. Actually, it's not quite THAT bad. Are you ikn Charlotte city? My brother was an policeman in Masset, decades ago - where I visited a couple times and went deer hunting with him, out around Rose Point (Spit).

A few years back when I got the bug for air rifle shooting, I bought a re-sealed, model 150 FWB Tyrolean .177 recoilless for 10m match shooting, only to find out after I bought it (at too high a price $600.00) and then found out that stock is not allowed currently for match shooting, due to the face-fitting cheek piece. That really didn't matter too much as I found my back would no longer allow match shooting, anyway.

The reason I post this, is to warn you NOT to buy a Feinwerkbau Model 150 Tyrolean - otherwise, it would have been perfect, for her.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:42 pm 

Welcome. Mac's suggestions are very good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:38 pm 

thanks guys, yea she is getting pretty serious, if I could pay in the 400 to 800 range that might be good.
I got a lead on some 300s FWB's going in the 400 to 500 range(us)- and will see how that pans out.

yup, it can get a little damp here on the islands- but we love it- awesome hunting and fishing all year round.
we live in port clements

cheers and thanks
wayne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:57 am 

Welcome aboard, Wayne!