Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:33 pm 

Barfman wrote:
There's this little guy here:

http://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Dais ... _Buck.html

Looks tiny, but only shoots BBs. Also, very cheap!

I'm not certain, but almost, that that's the model I got first in 1969. I see it's now listed as a 400-shot repeater where mine was a 300-shot, so maybe mine was a model 100 or something. Sure was noisy shaking the BBs into the chamber, and not entirely reliable. But it worked, and I could usually hit things out to 15 feet or so. Easy to see the fliers though, little shiny BB tracking off in loopy directions sometimes with sunlight glinting off them. I'd rather go with pellets to avoid putting the boy off shooting.

NFG; There's a lot of variance between reporting from the different weather offices. Accuweather is telling me 1mm of rain for Mission on Sunday with only a 57% chance of precip. That's less than the moderate rain they're saying for Vancouver - 5mm and 75%. Weather.com is saying only a 20% chance of rain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:56 pm 

Keep a happy thought. I will be there rain or shine.

More to come....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:10 pm 

Hi Gerard, I have a Buck and a Red Ryder that your son can borrow. They belong to my sister's kids. I'll bring both, and see what he can handle, sounds like he would be better off with the Buck.

I had quite a scare yesterday. I miss placed my safe key, Last night I thought I would have to show up with my slingshot and my air pistol. They are not kept in my safe since there is no more room for a mouse. This morning I woke up and remember where I left it. Thank goodness, that I found it. Now I have a few guns to show up with on Sunday.

See you guys Sunday, I'll try to remember the Sausages.

Biagio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:44 pm 

Well that's nice of you Biagio, if it's no trouble I'm sure he'd appreciate it. I've got a small bag of 200 BBs here (someone gave them to me years ago for some reason) so no need for ammo. I'll make sure he doesn't shoot at anything too close by so we don't get ricochets.

I did some searching for the IZH-61 but not finding any Canadian retailers stocking it. So I emailed Baikal Canada and await some sort of response. Be nice not to have to order from the US, what with possible difficulties at Customs and such.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:53 pm 

Hi Gerard. If you have a P.A.L you can order almost anything from the States. Only one problem. Unfortunately no one ship any guns, or any parts to Canada any more. I used to buy 10/22 parts stocks for my guns, nothing any more. Too bad. You can always take a drive down to Bellingham, buy an air rifle at Walmart, and if you go a little further, you can go to Cabelas, they have all kinds of airguns. Should be no problem at the border, as long as you have you Pal. Especially airguns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:45 pm 

Alright, almost time! I somehow managed to get sick as a dog last night, but it's getting better. Tylenol Cold will have to see me through the day. Biagio, do you want me to bring buns and condiments?

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:07 pm 

Weather looking way better. I am so stoked to get out and shoot with you guys. Just now heading home from work. Quick meal then some practice. Have to pack my gear and get ready. Meet you guys at the gate. Good times!

More to come....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:14 pm 

Yeah, those weather goofs really seem to be off this week. They're usually wrong. But thunder storms and rain today? Pics or it didn't happen. Where I am it was sunny most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:57 pm 

Living up to my "king of the idiots" reputation I first forgot my seat on the way out then left my shooting stick when I left Mission. Hopefully someone grabbed it and I'll get it back at some point. Nice stick to. (Shakes hanging head in shame..)

Other than those issues I had a blast. Great day of shooting and talking smack with the boys. Some great toys out again. Mr B had some killer sausages on the grill. Yum! Thanks bro! All in all a great way to spend time off. Wish we could do it more often.

How did I shoot? Moments of brilliance followed by moments of mediocrity. Still I did learn a few things and was surprised by a few of my long shots during sighting. Getting there......

More to come....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:34 pm 

My son had a blast, really enjoyed his little self! Much to his surprise and mine. I knew he enjoyed trying my target pistols in the past, but having shot them like rifles (he's a little guy) and only at close range indoors his interest wasn't huge. But today after looking at a few of the options brought out by the other guys - thanks so much for doing that Wayne and Biagio, really cool of you to bring stuff in case it might work for him - he settled on wanting to use my Brocock Atomic carbine with a not too large Boyd's Blaster stock. It's a 5 pound rifle now and not impossibly hard for him to carry around. During warm-up plinking I got him to choose a shoot-n-see set at 21 metres and told him the hold-over he'd need (about a penny's diameter above as the Brocock is shooting 500fps with RWS Hobby), and he was off to the races. His first shot was about 2" low. Everything else was as close or closer, with 3 shots within a dime of the bull. This was kneeling on the ground and resting the rifle (still too heavy for him to hold standing) on my 18" high folding tripod camp stool. After that he went for the new mouse knock-downs designed and built by another member of the gang (sorry, I'm forgetting the name and he's not signed up here I think). Really brilliant little targets. Very rugged, probably good enough for rimfire. Haru managed to take one of the mice down 3 times at about 18 metres, with what I think was a 3/8" bull. Hit the steel mouse a lot more times than that. I think we have a shooter here!

He went on to join the rest of us on the FT course - 10 stations, 20 shots as there are two knock-down targets at each, with 40 points possible - 2 for a bullseye knocking the steel critters down, 1 point for just hitting steel. Haru missed steel completely only 3 times. Got 1 bull, scored 16 points total. An excellent first outing, and he's enthusiastically bugging me to make sure he gets to join us next time. Lucky for him, my wife's scheduled for another 12 hour shift on the last Sunday of May so it seems he's coming along anyway. After that she's finished with her RN training and Sundays will be optional, but I think once I set the boy up with an IZH-61 he'll be unstoppable. No more fiddling with the RVA adjuster to keep the velocity right at 500fps (about 1/8" of rotation after every one of the first 15 shots, then leave it alone until shot 40, then up 1/8" again for the last 7 shots... a pain in the butt for me, too distracting for him, though he did manage to do it perfectly the first time so maybe I'm the only dummy involved. Anyway, a simple side-lever spring-piston rifle with an appropriate stock and such a light weight pull to cock it will make things much simpler for him. I'll make him up a ranging chart using visual elements which make sense so he can figure his own holdover in HFT. Then I can focus more on my own shooting, dang it. A good time. Very.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:28 am 

Hi guys.

I picked your stick up, I'll bring it next month.

I have to say, I had a Blast. Love ft and plinking. Never get sick of it. I was there just after 6, I had my scope cam out, Kelly helped me a bit. I sat and plinked and at my target for more than a nother hour. Loved it.

Post any pictures you guys took.

B

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:43 am 

Biagio thanks for recovering my shooting stick. I owe you one....

More to come....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 am 

sorry I missed it .I was renewing my archery coaching levels all weekend inside :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:48 am 

mangerover wrote:
sorry I missed it .I was renewing my archery coaching levels all weekend inside :(

Is that code for drinking?..kelly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:52 am 

Kelly; how about some of those pictures you took? Gonna post 'em or what?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next