Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:32 pm 

You can also use 1/4" tubing like the stuff found in an ice maker in a refrigerator or macro line should work also, a little trial and error to get the right fit though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:37 pm 

joolz you need to invest in a chrony, make that your next investment :wink:
try shooting through a soup can @ 35ft not a cheap pop can and see if it makes it through the other side that will give you a rough idea that its shooting pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 pm 

DigitalFx33 wrote:
You can also use 1/4" tubing like the stuff found in an ice maker in a refrigerator or macro line should work also, a little trial and error to get the right fit though.

Would that mean drilling a bigger hole onto the bolt carrier? Looking at the pic rsterne posted on page 1 (with the holes/pins lined up) it would seem that I'd need to enlarge the hole a bit. If that's the case then would that require also drilling the tube portion? (the opposite hole)

Ace a chrony has always been in my wish list but great deals on guns keep popping up and there goes my hobby allowance each time. Also a diopter has taken top spot in my wish list so I'm keeping my eyes open for one for a good deal. For now tin cans will have to do. I'll add some new co2 to the QB later today if I get the chance and will try your poor mans speed test (plenty of soup cans in the pantry). Although I can tell you already that I doubt it will go further than a dent on the first wall but will see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:27 pm 

The Crosman 13XX / 22XX seal will replace the stock QB one without any changes necessary.... It is the same OD and a larger ID, and being rubber, will conform to the curves on the top of the valve and the bottom of the receiver.... It simply sits in the 1/4" hole I the tube.... If you want to use poly tubing, which is stiffer, you will want to mill a flat in the valve and the receiver to accept it, like this....

Note that I also enlarged the hole in the barrel to match up with the hole in the receiver.... I matched all the holes to the ID of the poly tubing.... Stock parts in the top of the photo, modded ones in the bottom.... The valve slots are for HPA, not needed for CO2, in fact will waste CO2.... Any of these mods will place you over 500 fps, so you will need your PAL, of course....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:01 pm 

Bob man I really appreciate your detailed explanations accompanied by great pics. For a newb like me it makes all the difference in the world. Proof: I got that QB working and that was in part thanks to all your assistance.

Yep, the pic clearly shows the bigger bore, it is huge compared to the very restrictive stock one. I will hold off doing this mod till the PAL is issued. But there's no harm in getting the details now and refer to this thread later.
Please clarify this: you drilled a larger hole to the barrel. How difficult was this to do? Done at home with an electric drill and a metal bit (as opposed to "wood" bit)? Or did this require something fancier? Can you also list a source for the 22xx seal? I have no desire to mill one from plastic, this rifle isn't really one that I enjoy tearing down many times during a trial-and-error phase (still struggling removing the safety each time). So it makes sense to get the 22xx seal.

As I think back now, I may have tightened the receiver/tube to the bolt body too tightly, squishing the rubber seal too much thus possibly diminishing the centre hole size. Will look at loosening it and retightening again to see if it makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:30 pm 

You can get the 22XX seal from www.scopesandammo.com.... likely also from Gravel in PQ....

You can drill the hole in the barrel and breech larger with any high speed steel drill bit, but before doing that, you need to check the alignment of the holes with the hole in the tube that holds the seal in place.... If the valve, breech, and barrel holes don't line up with the new (larger) seal, instead of drilling them larger, you may have to grind them with a Dremel with small burrs or stones, moving them over so they line up.... You can really see that in that last photo on the barrel, compare the original location to the new one for the larger hole.... Note it has moved over towards the front O-ring, and the port recess in the valve the same thing.... That was dictated by the location of the hole in the tube which located where the seal was.... Getting good performance means attention to detail.... For now, just use the new 22XX seal and forget drilling out anything until you get your PAL.... Even just the seal may put you over 500 fps....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:52 pm 

Oh ok, I was under the impression that I NEEDED to enlarge the holes in order to use the 22xx seal. if just using the seal will improve fps than that'd do it for me. Like I said, atm the gun is rather anemic (may improve somewhat once I get the chance to loosen things up a bit, I hope) so even a bit of improvement in speed would be welcome, especially if this can stay below 500 fps.

Another thing I have been contemplating is putting on a .17 cal barrel as I see no benefit to shooting .22 pellets. As stated earlier, I don't plan to do any hunting and since my thing is target shooting, it makes sense to stick to .17 pellets (unless I'm missing something I haven't considered). The downside of going the .17 route is losing the open sights. I'm just warming up to the fibre optics in the QB and for my short distances, I do like having the ability of using open sights.

Would you know if it's possible to add diopter sights to the "naked" .17 barrel, if I was to go that route? I'd like to get a set of these if I can find them for a good price but no idea how to install them or if they have a universal fit. If it's possible to swap the diopter sights onto different rifles, I'd very much welcome that and it would open the door to getting a .17 barrel to the QB (once my PAL is ready seeing how it would speed things up past 500 fps).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:20 pm 

If you change to .177 you will definitely be over 500 fps....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:56 pm 

Ace wrote:
joolz you need to invest in a chrony, make that your next investment :wink:
try shooting through a soup can @ 35ft not a cheap pop can and see if it makes it through the other side that will give you a rough idea that its shooting pretty good.

Ace, in lieu of a chrony, here's my poor mans attempt at judging speed after I removed the barrel and replaced the breech seal, this time not tightening it as much. Followed your instructions except the distance was just under 20'. The .22 cal pellets fired shortly after inserting two new CO2 canisters put quite the hole in the front of the tin cans, making their way to the back wall and putting a dent on it. Not sure if in your case the pellet went through both walls?

The QB has an improvement in speed and now the pellet goes 2/3 into the duct seal.
I can live with this, even if I must contend with only frontal damage to poor tin cans.

Attachments:
QB .22 holes.jpg
QB .22 holes.jpg [ 67.33 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:03 pm 

not bad Joolz it seems to be shooting much better, only a chrony will tell you for sure though...but that doesn't look bad at all :wink:
mine would make it through both sides, depending on your pellet choice...I think you'll have some fun with the knock down power of the .22 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:30 pm 

Yep, the knock down power is great except for when it destroys my targets. Man, those are big pellets. Can't imagine what shooting a .25 or .30 would be like.

Chrony and a peep sight are next in the list. I have literally run out of space in my cabinet, therefore I shall finally heed the wife's warning of NO MORE GUNS.

Here's a very odd thing that is taking place for the 2nd time. Can someone please shed some light into this issue:
Last night I added two new CO2 to the gun, fired about 10 decent shots then put gun down for the night, with CO2 inside. Today as I tried it, there's a very weak amount of force. So little that pellets are bouncing off the paper target. Now, when this also happened a few days ago I thought that the CO2 had escaped through the night and tried to empty the CO2 by pulling the trigger several times. After some 40 blank shots I gave up. Put gun down and later that day tried to resume emptying it - when to my surprise the power had returned. Shot some 50 pellets after that till the CO2 finally emptied.

What gives? Gun has been sitting indoors, on a chair away from the sun or a cold draft. Temperature changed maybe a degree or so since last night. Why the lack of power all of a sudden but more so, why does the power return later on?

PS: tried removing the end cap, there's no give - so it's not like the CO2 has escaped overnight. It's still there, just not shooting at full power.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:08 am 

This makes no sense.

As seen above rifle suffers from mood swings, where sometimes it fires hard, then it won't spit pellets out the barrel.
Puzzled, I did what any rational person would have and stuck the QB in the freezer. After half hour I figured it had had enough of a time out and tried shooting it. Lone behold the power is back.

Wtf?? We all know that cold temps is bad on CO2. Well, since last night it has been sitting indoors at a cozy 20C. Isn't this ideal? Apparently not as half hour at sub zero temps actually got it shooting again. Still scratching head on this one.

Welcome to the world of airguns.