Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Daisy 880 mods
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:53 am 
Site Moderator

I previously did a review of the Daisy 880 in the appropriate forum section. Since then I managed a bit better accuracy from the rifle (previously best .50" at 10m).

The barrel on the 880 is actually a .30" soda straw size that runs through the fat shroud that appears to be a normal size barrel. According to other owners, the skinny barrel gets best accuracy when shimmed inside the shroud to give stiffness. I shimmed with wraps of electrical tape in the middle of the barrel and flat rubber plumbing washers at the muzzle end (washers modified).

After doing some accuracy tests I still had the odd flyer that opened groups up to 3/4" at 10 metres. The flyers didn't make sense to me. I did some testing and found gouges
on the back of the pellet skirt when removed without firing. Some pellets seemed to suffer this damage worse than others. There was something making the gouges. I removed the receiver halves and had a look in the barrel. There were a few tiny burrs at the junction of barrel to receiver. I used some 400 grit paper to carefully polish out the burrs and the transfer port opening.

Finally I adjusted the parallax on the cheapo Daisy 4X scope. There is a ring inside the end of the scope that easily moves to set parallax. I also learned that it's important to keep my eye directly behind this scope. If I'm off a bit the target gets blurry and accuracy suffers, although it is never perfect with this $5 piece of junk scope.

Okay... after the port polishing and scope adjustment I did some 10 metre accuracy testing. Results:

5 Shot groups from 10 metres
RWS Hobby - .30, .21, .21, .31, .38 ------- Ave = .28" ctc
RWS Superdome - .29, .19, .27, .33, .30 - Ave = .28" ctc
JSB Exact - .33, .24, .30, .18, .33, -------- Ave = .28" ctc

Note - Averages rounded off to nearest hundredth.

Each group can be covered with a dime. This is what I was hoping for with this rifle. I no longer plan to lap the barrel or work the crown. It shoots fine and I don't want to ruin it...lol. The rifle definitely shoots much better than the $44.95 price!

I may add a better scope in the future but I like the low profile of the 3/4" tube. This helps give a good cheek weld on the stock. The front end of the scope also clears the rear sight.

Some of the targets attached.

Attachments:
D880 002xv.jpg
D880 002xv.jpg [ 242.2 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]
880 targets 005xx.jpg
880 targets 005xx.jpg [ 200.49 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

Post subject: Re: Daisy 880 mods
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:19 am 
Site Moderator

The Daisy 880 is a sweet little rifle for a cheap price. They shoot around 700fps with the RWS Hobby (10 pumps) and accuracy seems to be very reasonable at 10 metres. I wish Daisy would come out with a super deluxe version with a LW barrel, wooden stock, aluminum alloy receiver and pump arm.

Post subject: Re: Daisy 880 mods
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:14 pm 

Purchased an 880 back in 81 or 82 as a kid and basically used and abused the gun. Great little gun that was "lent" to a friend and I never saw again. But was still going strong with zero maintenance.