Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:55 am 

Bought a 14" barrel for my new 2240, which is a little overkill, but the only length
I could find locally. Rather than have the barrel cut down and re-crowned, I thought
It might look cool with such a long barrel if I put a shroud on it.
Anyone got any ideas on what to use and where to find some type of tubing, foam,
hose, wrap, carbon fibre etc.?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:14 am 

I've used aluminum tube from Home depot and carbon fiber from Ebay for shrouds. The aluminum is cheaper, but the CF has some bling appeal. Watch out for the mess when you cut and sand the CF - I'd recommend a mask to keep the particles out of your lungs. And safety glasses and probably gloves too :)

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-4x3-r ... ing/956545

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/19MM-X-17MM-X-50 ... 4ae0594224

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:41 am 

On my home built 2240/disco. I used a thin steel tube from a hardware store that I powder coated. The tube was larger then the barrel. Then I filled the cavity with fiberglass resin to form a solid bull barrel. Super accurate. However I had to use a riser breech to make that work. In you're case you may need to just use a sleeve in order to get between the tube and barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:39 am 

I used that Paulin 3/4" aluminum tubing for my barrel shroud. Managed to form a portion of the tubing using a block of slippery plastic with a polished carriage bolt head in one side, forcing it through using a the vise on my workbench and a couple of bench dogs until the inverted section would clear the main tube and a HiPAC with an extension tube. I had initially thought to cut and file out a section to clear the lower tubes, but pressing to shape then using sandpaper on a dowel for final thinning and fitting worked out well. I was glad not to have to go to a taller breech as I prefer the compactness of the Crosman steel breech.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:51 am 

I'd forgotten about the overlap with the gas tube. The aluminum I cut a channel which was a bit hit & miss, the carbon fiber is on a tall breech so it fits as is. I remember your post about forming the tube - that was good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:32 pm 

You'll definitely want to raise your breach for the barrel to wear a should. BNM makes the best repeater breach out there. You get choices of a Picatinny rail or 3/8" dovetail. Make sure to specify what calibre your pistol will be.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177