Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana 34 Issue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:05 am 

My old Diana 34 has slowly lost its accuracy as the last of my SwiftFlyte pellets ran out. I realized that the one of trigger guard bolts came loose. I tightened and started to re-zero with new pellets and the gun started to discharge as the barrel was closed. While I've worked on all sorts of powed burners, I've never had an air rifle apart, my Dad has always taken care of the air rifles and he's in the UK right now!

I do have a Model 52 as back-up but would appreciate any advice ot tips before I get into the 34, might as well order the PG2 tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: Diana 34 Issue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:17 am 

Oh, forgot to mention that it fires with the safety on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:35 am 

Easy fix, back off trigger guard screw 1/4 turn. Darn I'm getting good at this gunsmithing lol! Still ordering the vortek pg2 though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:08 am 

I don't understand how the trigger guard screw affects the firing . The issue I had with my 34 was the trigger adjusting screw was in too far and would cause it to discharge when closing the breech, or sometimes wouldn't cock at all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:09 pm 

I'm not sure either, however, no premature firing since screw backed off, shot about 10 or so pellets through it. Just putting my girls down for a nap and will finish the re-zero. Trigger has not been adjusted since purchased back in 87 or 88.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:52 pm 

I'm assuming you mean the larger forward screw? You want that one tight for the sake of the gun. Having it tight will put some stress on the trigger assy and it certainly is possible that can make the difference you are seeing if the trigger is either defective/warn, or more likely incorrectly adjusted. Loosening the screw is not the way to fix it. I think you need to experiment with the adjustment screw(s) depending on model trigger, which will hopefully correct the problem. It should be a two stage trigger with the first stage being a nice safety margin, but many people adjust that out so it's a hair trigger single stage which isn't safe imo. Shock to the gun like dropping it, setting it down, or closing the barrel can set it off. I'd tighten that big trigger guard/stock screw, and adj trigger screw(s) out and start fresh. There are some factory sketches of the different triggers, but they might not help to understand how the adj screws work. I'd suggest you experiment with them to get a feel for how they work, and/or take the trigger blade out so you can see the screws and how they interact with the next part.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:41 pm 

This is a T06 trigger showing the two adj screws. In the pix with the colored arrows you can see the scrape marks where the two screws are pushing. The Red arrow is the aft screw and first stage adjuster. Yellow is the second stage. People often adjust one of the other so far that the other is no longer in use, which makes it a single stage, and typically they adj the forward screw too far.
That big hole to the far left of the housing is where that large front trigger guard screws goes, which with the two smaller screws in the sides of the forend are what holds the stock on. The shock of firing the gun is harsh, and that screw is the primary means of holding the stock to the receiver. If this screw is loose it will mean the front screws will have to absorb all the stress between receiver and stock and the holes in the stock will be pounded oval and/or the screws will break. Also if the stock screws are not securing the weight of the stock to the receiver it means the stock is not helping to absorb the shock of the firing cycle, so if you have a scope it means the scope is seeing that much more stress. Springers are already stressing scopes to their limit, so they don't need this.
The T01 and T05 triggers are different, but it basically all applies. For example the T05 only has one adj screw, but it's basically set up as the first stage is already set and you only adj the second stage. Then there's an even older trigger than the T01 which I know nothing about other than the poor factory sketch drawing I attached along with the other models. Hope these pix are of some help.

Attachments:
M1.jpg
M1.jpg [ 74.86 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]
M2.jpg
M2.jpg [ 126.22 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]
M3.jpg
M3.jpg [ 111.87 KiB | Viewed 688 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 am 

The rifle has been shelved until I can pull apart as another discharge occured (last Sunday), only this time with collateral damage. The forward trigger set screw is backed almost all the way out, likely the cause of the issue. The trigger itself was a very light pull prior to this happening, so will be a good starting point. While not the oldest gun I own, I've had this rifle the longest almost 28 years and it has literally gone through thousands upon thousands of pellets so I think it's time for a complete break-down and replacement of any worn parts.