Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:29 pm 

so i gotta start this off, with the point that i dont know much, and very new to all this modding of air guns etc- so treat me like a simple child- no offence taken!! :D
i want to build a Ft type rifle, in .117. PCP.
i will build the stock
will use a walther barrel
this is going to be a project for my daughter and myself to do together, the rifle is for her, and she already shoots competitively, but has shown a real interest in FT.
i have looked at so many mods, that i am dreaming in a u tube format now. but i really dont want to restrict myself to a specific platform.
its not like i am trying to improve or mod a rifle that i already have. i want to start from scratch.
so whats the best trigger, married to what tube, and what kind of fill assemblies and valves, hammers etc etc

i chatted to Normand from discosRus today- what a great, helpful guy.

but was talking to him about using his breech and shroud setup, with the marauder trigger, and all his mods with regards to adjusters etc etc.
but his gear is only suited to a disco tube.
maybe i can get a disco type tube made that will hold more pressure- and give us more shots( now filling with a tank and not pumping of course) or even go with a disco double tube setup.

is this the way to go with a competitive field target build ( and when i say competitive, i dont mean olympic level- i mean for my daughter to be able to hold her own at any of the competitions she might enter in)/.

i think she is interrested in more of the open type classes than the hunter class.

what are ya'll thoughts on this.

many thanks
wayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:00 pm 

http://www.mac1airgunshop.com/airguns-s/1824.htm

Here go surf here Airguns and parts.

lots of info.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:21 pm 

first question is - will the gun be PAL rated?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm 

also, check out balde57's thread...
topic39752.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:01 pm 

Quote:
. . . . i want to start from scratch. . . . .

You Sir, are an ambitious man!

You're going to have to commit to a specific "platform" at some point, whether you buy a gun or build one from scratch, there is no such thing "complete interchangeability". . . .

Buy a gun that you can afford, and glass that'll be good enough for the next gun. Shoot it, until the limitations are clearly understood. Then, decide if you can scratch build
a better gun, or if it makes more sense to purchase a gun of higher pedigree. I understand father/child projects, but unless you are a hobbyist machinist with a whack of free
time, and otherwise idle machinery, your build plan seems maybe a wee bit overambitious.

What is going to make her a "competitor" is decent equipment, and practice, practice, practice. You could always be researching and building her second gun while,
she's shooting/competing with her first. . . .

You will have more time/effort and $$$ tied up in a "one-off" custom, than just about any proven commercially available store bought gun, including some of the top tier stuff.

Good Luck to You, and your Daughter!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:39 pm 

yup would be PAL rated she has her pal.

that is good advice sir- i will mull that over.
no i am not a machinist- but a handy tinkerer- have a mate who is a gunsmith/machinist!! does that help :mrgreen: lol
anyway she now has a disco, still to arrive shortly. that will be her first air rifle- as i said she does shoot competitively in small bore- but like th eidea of the FT, thats why we started delving into this- so that she could practice at home- to get more trigger time- but now the airgun bug seems to have bitten.

i know that a build would not be in the same class as a super high grade competition gun, but i wanted a project that she would have a vested interest in- so was thinking more along the lines of an "assembly" rather than an actual build.
kind of putting parts together, building the stock, and tuning etc.
as i said i chatted to Normand from Discos R us- that may be a good way to start.
many thanks- all advice is taken seriously
cheers
wayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:42 pm 

You should be able to get a Disco shooting decent for FT in .177, using 10.2-10.6 gr. pellets.... You will have to fill it about every 20 shots or so to keep it in the "sweet spot", but they aren't hard to pump, I would plan on topping up about halfway through the course....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:55 pm 

rsterne wrote:
You should be able to get a Disco shooting decent for FT in .177, using 10.2-10.6 gr. pellets.... You will have to fill it about every 20 shots or so to keep it in the "sweet spot", but they aren't hard to pump, I would plan on topping up about halfway through the course....

Bob

Or having a small HPA Bottle you can carry with. From 0-2000psi is about 120 pumps, at least it was for me. Topping up from say 1400, is easy work.
Only one negative remark about the Discovery. Too small an air tank. Might have to "Double" it from Norm to get a full forty shots plus sighters.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:59 pm 

Quote:
. . .she now has a disco. . .

See? That was easy. You committed. Awesome!

Now the double tube idea makes way more sense! All cradled into a custom one-off Father/Daughter whittled ergonomic FT Stock sounds like a winner!

There are aftermarket devices to make the trigger more tuneable, but tuning the existing pieces is very possible as well. Never gonna be "Match", but it'll be
pretty darn good, and it's all about what she gets used to as well.

Now you can get on with developing a rifle stock suitable to the task. It's way easier to shoot around a so-so trigger than it is to shoot past bad stock ergonomics. . .

Let the practice, practice, practice begin!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:55 pm 

thanks for all the help guys.
this was a pretty sweet deal- from a great guy.
nice disco- with lots of mods already done, a really nice Ft type walnut stock, a good pump, plus all the spares- scope rings etc etc( old stock and all sorts of old parts)

stock is ambidextrous- cheek piece on both sides
now just got to get a scope for her- been looking at the hawke varmint- as a starting point.
then to find one of the side wheels to fit on the parralax knob- to help with the ranging gradations etc

heard there was someone on here 3D printing them.

thanks all
cheers
wayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 pm 

wayne nicol wrote:

now just got to get a scope for her- been looking at the hawke varmint- as a starting point.
then to find one of the side wheels to fit on the paralax knob- to help with the ranging gradations etc

Perhaps one of these?
http://www.dlairgun.com/Scopes/Hawke/03 ... K4014.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:52 pm 

yea i would love a sidewinder- just out of the price range right now- unless i can find a used one.
but the varmints are also side focus- and smaller tube, so less light gathering- but hey- she has young eyes
http://www.dlairgun.com/Scopes/Hawke/02 ... K5134.html
just got to make a wheel for the side focus :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:39 pm 

Congratulations to both of you! Looks to be a great piece of equipment to get her well on her way!

Unfortunately, the parallax on the Varmint line from Hawke, doesn't wind down to the 10yrd minimum recommended by those that shoot the Field Target game. . . .

But great lookin' gun! She's a lucky girl!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:56 pm 

wayne nicol wrote:
just got to make a wheel for the side focus :mrgreen:

Then start with one of these.
http://www.dlairgun.com/Accessories/Lea ... 080-A.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 pm 

Actually, the Hawke 3-12 x 44 SF Varmint does dial down to 10 yards, even though the website says 15 yards.... I have 3 of them, great scope.... I don't know about the 4-16X....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!