Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:47 pm 

I'm making up a new hammer for the most current discovery based build.
The previous home made hammer acts like it's a bit too long.
The most important dimensions are over-all length, and depth of the hammer spring seat at the rear of the hammer.
I've got the diameter down to old-hat :wink:

I'm using a 1701-P/P-rod trigger group and frame, which is the main reason for the self made hammer.
I'd rather not get into filling the waist on a 22-XX style hammer. I think the slight weight gain from an un-waisted hammer is going to be a plus for what I'll eventually end up setting up the rifle for.

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44 am 

LOA 1.30"
Hole 0.50" deep
C/L Pin 0.175" from back
22* taper for sear

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:06 pm 

I can send you my old one Doc, just need an address.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:20 pm 

rsterne wrote:
LOA 1.30"
Hole 0.50" deep
C/L Pin 0.175" from back
22* taper for sear

Bob

Exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you Sir- much appreciated. 8)

The new one is a bit heavier for it's total mass. It's a piece of structural s/s rod, a little over required diameter. I'm fairly certain that it came from a 1/4 h.p. electric motor- a fan shaft in other words. I'm kind of set on getting this made.

Rick- I'll let you know if I need yours, but I don't think it will be necessary...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:37 am 

Hey Doc, I have a lathe at work and can carve something out for you if you need. Have plenty of round stock as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:32 pm 

DigitalFx33 wrote:
Hey Doc, I have a lathe at work and can carve something out for you if you need. Have plenty of round stock as well.

And I wonder why sometimes I think I'm in the wrong job :mrgreen:

It appears to be getting there. The 3/4" s/s is a bit of a bear to cut and finish. Just have the hammer pin hole and diameter reduction left to do now. Maybe tonight completion.

Thinking of a Saturday shoot again. Wife sez I hafta take grandson~ who usually don't wanna go. We shall see....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:36 pm 

Sadly this sat I am putting a new distributor, timing chain, gears and a one wire alternator into my uncles truck so sat is a no go for me :(.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:04 am 

How to make a home-made hammer:

Find a piece of scrap s/s, preferably bent in the area you wish to use.
Make sure it's at least one caliber over diameter 8), and is too big for the single drill press chuck available to you.
Use the hardest s/s you can find, so it rapidly wears down your cutting tools. We like the stainless that burns up your drill bits before the hole is to correct depth, regardless of cutting fluids used.

Do get carried away with drilling out the spring seat in the rear of the hammer. Go at least .20" over-depth. .25" is better for over-all consternation purposes :wink:
Choose a time to work in the shop when all the decent drill bits are on an off-site job somewhere...

All that aside, and yes, it's real, she didn't turn out too bad:

It won't take much anhydrous graphite to keep this properly slick- one of the benefits of working with hard stainless. That's dry polished, and carded with #0000 steel wool...

The pencil flame torch was gone from the shop too. I ended up using my zippo and some radio/tv coreless solder to sweat in a 10x32 nut to correct my depth.

That turned down machine screw for the hammer pin may be too short. At least that job is relatively easy to do if I need a longer replacement. I did briefly toy with the idea of cutting a slot into the rear of the tube behind the screw hole, but would rather err on the side of safety.

It looks like it's going to work well. It quite easily free-falls through an un-polished 22-40 tube. Hope-fully, I'll get it into the gun Monday night for a quick trial. This one looks much better than the first.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:58 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
How to make a home-made hammer:

Find a piece of scrap s/s, preferably bent in the area you wish to use.
Make sure it's at least one caliber over diameter 8), and is too big for the single drill press chuck available to you.
Use the hardest s/s you can find, so it rapidly wears down your cutting tools. We like the stainless that burns up your drill bits before the hole is to correct depth, regardless of cutting fluids used.

Do get carried away with drilling out the spring seat in the rear of the hammer. Go at least .20" over-depth. .25" is better for over-all consternation purposes :wink:
Choose a time to work in the shop when all the decent drill bits are on an off-site job somewhere...

LOL...Oh, man, I never made a hammer, but I can totally relate to that "procedure"! Been down that road so many times in the past (and still travel down it once in awhile) that I thought it was the "normal" way of doing things! :lol: Thankfully, since I got my little lathe I've gotten much better :wink: .

All kidding aside, your hammer looks great...nicely done! 8). How much did it end up weighing?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 am 

Your description of the parts machine-ability would have me believe you used a forged stainless shaft as the raw material . it is difficult at best to machine even when you know what it is . Great work !!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:50 pm 

sholo wrote:
How much did it end up weighing?

65 grams on the Pitney-Bowes postal scale at work. They tell me it's fairly accurate, but rounds to the nearest "heavier" gram. I have no idea how much weight a gram is. I'll look up the conversion table later tonight...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:36 pm 

Stock Disco hammer is 58 gr., stock 22XX is 60 gr....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:47 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Stock Disco hammer is 58 gr., stock 22XX is 60 gr....

Bob

A little bit heavier than both, I see. Quickie on-line conversion table puts the weight at just a shade over 2 oz. And they still call it a hammer :lol:

Thanks for the in-put, Bob. I thought I'd be quite a bit heavier than stock. Nice to be relatively close though...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:32 am 

sholo wrote:
since I got my little lathe I've gotten much better :wink: .

I've been looking at these off and on over the past ten years~ Harbour Freight in the states, and Busy-Bee here in Canada.
Ideally, I'd like something that would have a capacity for a 24" bbl. I'd start simple with machined re-crowns, and then take it from there. Apartment life really inhales the big one when it comes to things like this, though.

To get back somewhat on topic, I got the new hammer into the gun. It seems to smack the valve stem with real authority now. I was right about the first home made hammer being too long.

I switched hammer springs while I had the gun apart. The discovery hammer spring seems to be a bit of a loose fit over the challenger type RVA. It's loose enough to damage the first thread on the adjuster. I put the hammer spring in that came with the challenger RVA kit. The adjuster seems to turn a lot more "cleanly" against it. I did clean up that damaged thread a bit with a triangular needle file. I'm kind of wary of over-cutting at present, so I took it very easy with the file. Also cut back the bolt a bit. I took off almost 1/8" off the bolt rear. There is plenty of room for loading a pellet now, even with the adjuster in as far as it will go. Came up with a solution for that gaping front breech screw hole as well. I simply tamped a tiny O-ring in there...

There was no time for a shooting test tonight. Functionality seems to be fine as far as I can determine. It may be a couple of days before I find time to shoot this thing, and plot a few strings over the chrony... I'm hoping for a little better consistency at the high pressure/high hammer strike end of things...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:58 am 

Sorry I missed this post Doc, I'm not on the forum much anymore. I could have helped you out with a stock hammer or whatever you needed.
Machining is a nice hobby, but as an occupation in this day and age... it would need to be a labour of love. Too many people in 3rd world countries willing to do it for less. Making parts for yourself or a friend it's awesome.

Michael