Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 am 

Hi, i was wondering if it was possible to replace the barrel on a izh 46m with a lw barrel.

Out of curiosity are there any other cool mods for them?

thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:38 am 

The IZH 46M is known as being very accurate but a bit heavy. Some people have done mods to lighten the pistol but I have never heard of trying to replace the barrel. Is yours suffering from a lack of accuracy?
This site shows the addition of a stock to turn it into a carbine, personally I am not sure it is the right way to treat a good 10m target pistol, sort of like adding a trailer hitch to a Ferrari.
http://www.davegcustomstocks.com/ucizh4 ... epage.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am 

Unless you have somehow damaged your barrel, it is at least as accurate as an LW. Probably better. A 46m with the grip removed and tue frame clamped in a vise on a solid bench will put all pellets in a hole less than 7mm diameter at 10 metres. ALL pellets. With match grade pellets the hole should be smaller than 6mm. Unless you were going for a much longer barrel for some reason (such as turning it into a carbine as in those linked images - and... ew) I see no reason to use anything but the stock barrel.

I have reduced the weight of a 46m considerably. There's a thread about it here somewhere. Helped a lot with fatigue, but it was still heavier than my Pardini. Turning down the cylinder thickness differentially to reduce weight while preserving strength was challenging, but successful. Here it is:
topic50152.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:39 pm 

I agree with the previous posts. The stock barrel on the Izzy is excellent. People buy this pistol because of its legendary accuracy. If you are looking to improve your scores I would suggest you look at a custom grip. The Rink grip installs with three screws and is about $400. Depending on your hand and grip, it can be an improvement on the stock grip provided with the pistol.
Good shooting.
Doug