Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Crosman TR77 NPS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:08 pm 

I wasn't expecting the Dusk to be so high. I kinda remember ~34lbs on new out of the box guns, but don't recall above that. What kind of scale did you use? I use a pull type digital luggage scale, basically it's like a fish scale. I tie a cord to the muzzle but 1" back (to more closely simulate felt pressure in the hand). I also compare the scale to others and known weights so I know it's more or less accurate.
The newer Crosman guns like the NV have a new part # for the gas spring, which I thought was a mod to help correct the leakage problem. Now I wonder if they bumped pressure too? Guess I'll have to buy one to find out for sure, which I need anyway since every time I look I discover another leaker. Very frustrating...
So the TR77NPS certainly seems to have the light spring, but I wonder if it's the same one I'm familiar with or a different one. The one I know is BT5M22-00-1. If anyone opens their gun, or has the parts list, please post the #

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:40 pm 

Just the old digital bathroom scale for me. A half dozen pushes each and getting a rough average. Plus or minus, whatever - close enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:45 pm 

In the EVP for the full power (I assume) TR77 NPS model# 30131, the gas spring is part# BT9M22-00-5A. In my TR, model # 7-30131, the gas spring # is BT5M..., (partly erased). It also has a long piston (175 mm). Unfortunately, on the Crosman site I have found no references at all regarding the Canadian version of the rifle, so I cannot confirm what is the complete gas spring part # for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:23 pm 

Thanks airmec, this is helpful, plus I was getting very curious.
So I'd assume it's the same BT5 as I have. That's actually kinda cool imo because I like the BT5 as an easier to deal with spring when max power is not needed, like targets, general plinking, mice/rats etc. For those of us who experiment I think it's nice to have a BT5 on hand to play with, and if not wanted I think it's a more valuable to barter with than the 9 since they're rare and imo last longer, possibly much longer.
If anyone plays around with that gun, like using a 150 piston and/or a full length barrel, I'd love to see the before/after velocities.
badrad: I never had luck with bathroom scales. "If" you're interested the scales are super cheap on ebay, like ~$2.50US delivered to me, so whatever that is in CA should still be super cheap. I have three different kinds but here's an example; http://tinyurl.com/j47mhy5
I also use them for total gun weight, parts, scope, trigger pull and whatever else around the house. Also have a wee little jewelers scale for pellets, kinda cool I think...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:32 pm 

A jeweler's scale would be neat to play with!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:08 am 

I didn't see mine on ebay but this is very close: http://tinyurl.com/gwmnj2p
Only $5US. Nice toy in general but super handy for weighing pellets. Quality pellets are usually close and consistent, but cheapies can be all over the place. I only have a couple tins of cheapies, and only weighed a few of those but still found up to ~8% off. That's both 8% lighter than advertised, and between each other in the same tin. So for me it's well worth it so I know the guns true power, and if velocity fluctuation is the gun or pellets. Better brands like JSB will be very close, I think the worst I measured was 1% which are the 16.2gr in 177.
Plus misc uses, like I just used mine to est the fill of some Bic lighters since the body is opaque.
All I need now is a scale that can do 100 to maybe 300lbs to measure gas springs and maybe coil. It'll probably end up being a bathroom scale, if I can get one accurate enough for a reasonable price.