Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: M4-177 bolt
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:25 am 

Ed man, think you missed the part where I clearly said (and in more than one instance) that the vast majority of members here are great and helpful.
Please re-read my post.
Then look at the link and the comment by Dr.Fire. Perhaps you'd care to comment on his post? Think that attitudes such as his ought to be reined in in order to both abide by forum's rules and to prevent newcomers from feeling they don't belong in here, should their gun not meet the criteria that some clearly seem to be think isn't worthy of their time (and still they take the time to make inflammatory posts)

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 am 

airmec wrote:
Hey Joolz, don' let that kind of things take a bite on you, my friend! Take the positive, and let go the negative, just don't let that steal away your happiness! Life is too precious to let bad comments ruin it :D .

Trust me, it doesn't. Which is why I didn't even bother replying to that initial post by Dr.Fire. You know, why feed the trolls?

However fearing that a repeat of what has become quite the norm in this forum, I wanted to give you a bit of a heads up (and for other new members reading this) that such bad behaviour isn't uncommon here and not to let this sort of thing discourage you. Apparently it has discouraged many others. There a number of new members that used to be active here that are now gone. Hmm, perhaps they went into hibernation for the winter, who knows. But I hope this thread serves to show some of these folks with a taste and the budget for costly guns and little common sense that this sport is taken by many, from all walks of life. Including those of us that are working our way towards a potentially costlier gun down the road, as time, experience and budget allows. That is, assuming of course we don't get turned off by the likes that enjoy hiding behind their keyboards while making inflammatory comments.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:48 pm 

So you're saying your home-made O-ring would sit in the breech somehow tucked inside, and the bolt would slide into it? That sounds cool as long as it doesn't upset pellet loading. If that's what you're making then would you even need a brass bolt? I'd think just rounding the edge on the plastic one would allow it to slide in nicely. But I do remember those things being kinda iffy strength wise so is that the reason for the metal one?
Also, would an O-ring of some sort fit in there better than that hose? I ask because I have no idea exactly where you're putting it or how much room is in there to fit said goodie. Or are you removing material to make a home for it? Hopefully you take pix as you go so if it works you can spread the word.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:58 pm 

Chevota, here are some pics to show you my idea: I would re-drill the taper hole in the breech to ''square' it, and then shorten a bit the breech to make some space for the seal's shoulder, also I think I will have to grind a bit of plastic in the casing of the gun, again for the shoulder of the seal. I'm not quite finished yet, but it's looking good!

Joolz, I WILL NOT be discouraged by those things; actually, I may take that as a small challenge (in a good way!), I have faced so much worst thing in the past I don't even find it annoying. I like so much that forum that I can't even imagine something that could turn me off of it :D . I communicate with very nice peoples, and for me that's all that count, my dear fellow :wink: .

Attachments:
IMG_4290.JPG
IMG_4290.JPG [ 88.94 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG [ 119.75 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]
IMG_4292.JPG
IMG_4292.JPG [ 125.17 KiB | Viewed 229 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:26 am 

airmec wrote:
I communicate with very nice peoples, and for me that's all that count, my dear fellow :wink: .

And you won't find a place that has a greater number of these than this forum. Folks here are willing to give their time and go out of their way to help you out (like dismantling their guns to help you through the process without as you as much as requesting it - thanks Bob!)

The very tiny percentage I referred to is just that, tiny. Best to ignore and enjoy what the very fine folks here have to offer.
PS: there's another thread that may interest you, one I've been meaning to follow up on regarding adding a vertical grip to M4-177. Will be reviving it in the next few days.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:23 am 

As I said elsewhere, so many projects, so little time :D . That M4 induces so much ideas, I must restrain myself! Is there a cure for a boilng brain?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:17 pm 

Excellent, let us know how that works...
And yes, so many projects so little time. I'd need a lifetime and wealth to do everything I've wanted to test/experiment on, but extra time would only mean more ideas so you can't win. I've wondered about great inventors of the past and how they not only needed the brains, curiosity and drive, but the time and money to do it. A very rare combination of things need to fall into place. Like Da Vinci who not only did amazing things, but with virtually zero technology or ideas to start with, obstacles like war, the church and god knows what else. It's as if he was a modern man that got lost or stranded in a time travel gone wrong. Or maybe an alien genetic experiment with a redonkulous IQ. Or maybe he just took mushrooms and saw the future. ;)

So aside from this mod are you looking into other things? Like maybe a flat top piston setup?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:07 pm 

Before doing any other mods, I shall get a chrony, I need to stay under 500 fps because I have no PAL and I don't wanna get in troubles! You can't imagine how I would truly love to extract as much power as I can from that lady, and that's the hardest part! But I got to be reasonnable if I want to continue to enjoy it. If I could, here's what I'd do: yes, a flat top piston made with bronze and triple O-ringed, a sturdier solid steel pump lever, a pinned power valve with more volume,a softer inner spring and an angled port, a bigger and polished transfer port, a solid bronze breach with angled port, the barrel would be threaded in the breach and O-ringed and of course, re-crowned, a power adjuster for the hammer spring, polished hammer and deburred and polished inner cylinder, probably a steel or bronze bolt, and a lot of other things, not mentionning the aesthetics, but I will stop there, I can see steam over my head :rolleyes:. More seriously, I will do as much as I can without affecting the power output too much (but it's hard, I got to be strong!). However, if ever you need advices or help, I will be more than happy to share my ideas. Now I think I'll relax a bit :drinkers: . I'm almost finished with my small breach mod, you'll see more pics soon, I promise!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:44 pm 

Chevota, man, I'm done and it's working well! The seal is now cut at an angle to follow the shape of the breach,it's about 5/32'' in length, it fits between the breach and the gun's casing and though it's a real pain in the back to install, once in place it doesn't move. I found it easier to slip the probe's tip in the seal to install it, it stays in place. I also lightly coated the probe with synthetic grease to help it slip in the seal once installed. The bigger part of the seal is about 1/32'' thick, it's thin enough to fit without trimming any plastic. I also hadn't had to redrill the breach.

I can tell you there was no problem getting three kind of pellet go through, all three being Crosman: pointed, Destroyer and Wadcutter.The probe is a bit harder to push and pull, as expected, but no binding. I guess I'll just have to put a little grease once in a while to keep things smooth. I just hope the pictures are clear enough to see the details.

Have fun!

Attachments:
IMG_4309.JPG
IMG_4309.JPG [ 110.15 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]
IMG_4310.JPG
IMG_4310.JPG [ 117.22 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]
IMG_4311.JPG
IMG_4311.JPG [ 136.67 KiB | Viewed 198 times ]