Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:38 am 

My old T38 is leaking gas. Does anyone know off hand what seals need to be replaced to correct this? Part numbers?
I have a few seals form Crosman and I'm wondering if I already have the correct seals. Special tool required?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:10 am 
Site Moderator

You can easily test the powerlet seal. Unscrew the visible ring that secures the seal and replace it with a 1/2" flat plumbing washer . The cheap plumbing washer will hold for a while and let you know if that is your only leakage. I did the exact test last week for a friend's 38T. The problem turned out to be the powerlet seal. The plumbing washer will work for a while but the pistol will eventually need a proper urethane seal.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:33 am 

check out Scopes and Ammo for seal kits and once you are in there why not refresh them all? it is easy and worth it. Eric sends all the necessary seals and rings and I recall you can even get the seal and valve blocks if necessary. these old gun deserve it then they will give you many more years of service.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 am 

there are several areas that can cause leaks on a 38T
trouble shooting is the key in solving your troubles....can you tell where your leak is accruing...is it on the CO2 end seal or inside the
frame or out the barrel...?
there are five areas that can cause a leak on the 38T...first one and the easiest to fix is the Co2 end seal like TCooper mentioned...
next is the little copper tube each end has a seal...and last is inside the valve body there are two seals there as well...like I said trouble shooting is key to figuring it out...if you know for sure its leaking out the barrel then its inside the valve body...if you hear the leak in the frame its probably the copper tubing...if it leaks right at the end of your co2 powerlet then its your co2 end seal...good luck :wink:

I see your in T.O. if you have trouble and are not sure how to work on them PM me....

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:11 pm 

I think I already have the correct seals. Back when Crosman was in Oakville I paid them a visit and the parts woman [forget her name] was very helpful and she gave me some seals in little envelopes with the part number written on the outside. I am going away for a few days and I'm taking the gun with me and just wonder if I have the right seals so I can replace them while I'm up at the cottage. I can hear gas leaking out of the barrel.

I can just take them all and hope things work out. I 've got a parts manual for this thing somewhere. It's an excellent gun!

edit: thanks for the offer Ace

Last edited by Drunken Elvis on Wed May 20, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:07 pm 

Here is where you can download the EVP

https://support.crosman.com/hc/en-us/articles/203542760-38C-Owner-s-Manual-EVP-1976-1983-

Have fun!

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:30 pm 

Found the seals and receipt. I have 38-088, 38-128, 38-094 and 140-058. Total cost in 1995 was $1.80 + tax. Oh those were the days....

Hopefully I can get by with just these seals.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:10 am 

Well, it looks like I don't have one of the seals.
Does anyone have any info on this seal?
PN. 38-130
It's clear amber, polyurethane?
If anyone would know the dimensions [I assume it's not a metric size], I could probably buy one at a local supply company.