Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Smith&Wesson model 686
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:03 pm 

Howdy Gang!
Ive purchassed a air gun S&W 686. its accurate enough but i find its missing a little bit of velocity
im guessing it blows about 400fps, any tips how to crank it up a little?? i tried different co2 company , different kind of
pellets, (.177) lubrication... any tricks anyone?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 pm 

Welcome to CAF! What kind of pellets are you using in your S&W? Lighter pellets such as JSB RS (7.33 grains) or RWS Basic or RWS Hobby (both 7.0 grains) will achieve the highest velocity. The 686 is rated by the manufacturer at about 425 fps. Have you tried your CO2 pistol over a chronograph?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:24 pm 

Keep the gun and Co2 warm. Shoot slowly. Rapidly firing several shots in a row will cool down the Co2 and lower the pressure.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:44 pm 

im using pointed pellets but ill give a try with rws hobby.The cold might be an issue we didnt have the warmest winter!
ill take all the tips i can get im a little green with co2 guns!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:16 am 

400 fps is just fine for your revolver. It's not like another 50-60 fps is going to change it into anything else but the same fine revolver it is now. Pointed pellets should be stored away for the zombie apocalypse - after all other ammunition has been spent. Domed pellets are far superior for these handguns (and most rifles), or wadcutter if you're looking for a cleaner target.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you introduced yourself and read the forum rules yet?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:43 am 

Quote:
Mikecg wrote
Howdy Gang!
Ive purchassed a air gun S&W 686. its accurate enough but i find its missing a little bit of velocity im guessing it blows about 400fps, any tips how to crank it up a little?? i tried different co2 company , different kind of pellets, (.177) lubrication... any tricks anyone?

Without a chronograph you are unable to guess about the muzzle velocity at all. The loudness of a shot is very misleading because some of the CO2 pistols have pretty subdued rapport but still a relatively high muzzle velocity with an appropriate pellet. For instance, the 586/686 is specified as “medium” loudness.
I have a 10-year old S&W 586 which is internally identical to your 686. With a 6” barrel it shoots in a rapid 10-shot string about 450fps for the first shot and 370fps for the 10-th shot using 7gr RWS Diabolo Basic wadcutter pellets. Using heavier 7.95gr Copperhead Pointed pellets the velocity drops to about 430fps for the first shot and 350fps for the 10-th shot. All shooting at 20C.
This example illustrates two, perhaps, trivial but important facts.
First, the larger the mass of a pellet the lower velocity at the muzzle.
Second, the more rapid shooting, the lower velocity of the following shots due to a quick freezing of CO2. When I shoot my 586 6” slowly, making 2-3 min breaks between shots, it shoots steady at about 440fps for 20-30 shots at 20C with 7gr pellets. To minimize CO2 freezing effect, shoot your CO2 pistol outdoor in summer when the outside temperature is within the 25-30C range. However, when all liquid CO2 is gone from the CO2 powerlet then the velocity drops precipitously, anyway.
The third effect that influences the muzzle velocity of CO2 guns is the barrel length. A longer barrel increases velocity and vice-versa. I have two 6 and 8” interchangeable barrels for my 586. With the 8” barrel the muzzle velocity increases to 500-490fps for the first shot (7gr pellets and 20C).

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:41 am 

Is the S&W 686 a gun that You would highly rate over most other Co2 Pistols?
I'm debating on either the 686 which is a quality looking, fairly good replica, nice finish
and in relation to others quite powerful, this versus the Magnum Research Desert Eagle,
which is plastic, I guess fairly good replica, powerful, but not much class, but seems
to be a lot of guys Go To Gun?
I'm only buying one, what would be your choice?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:08 pm 

Quote:
ejackyou wrote
Is the S&W 686 a gun that You would highly rate over most other Co2 Pistols?
I'm debating on either the 686 which is a quality looking, fairly good replica, nice finish
and in relation to others quite powerful, this versus the Magnum Research Desert Eagle,
which is plastic, I guess fairly good replica, powerful, but not much class, but seems
to be a lot of guys Go To Gun?
I'm only buying one, what would be your choice?

My rating of the S&W .177cal CO2 revolvers:

1. The older 586 model with a 8” barrel (shiny black finish)
2. The older 586 model with a 6” barrel (shiny black finish)
3. The newer 586 model with a 6” barrel (matte black finish)
4. The older/newer 686 model with a 6” barrel (silverish/stainless steel finish)

No. 1 beats any other CO2 pistol hands down in the muzzle energy and accuracy departments. There is no CO2 competitor out there.
No. 2 is on par with the DE regarding muzzle energy but is of a much higher quality than DE. Having said that, the DE is the best “blowback” CO2 pellet pistol regarding muzzle energy and accuracy (to be very correct the DE is not a real semi-auto/blowback pistol because the trigger pull still rotates the magazine/clip and the slide only cocks the hammer; I call the DE a “semi-auto revolver”).
I don’t like the 686’s silverish appearance but its internals are the same as the 586.

Attachments:
Smith&Wesson 586 4.5mm-8 inch barrel(3a).jpg
Smith&Wesson 586 4.5mm-8 inch barrel(3a).jpg [ 259.64 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]