Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Help ????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:30 pm 

Hi fellow air gunners. I am new to this great hobby of pellet guns.

I bought a crosman 1377c pellet pistol at Canadian Tire last fall. I modified it with a longer barrel, steel breech, and a shoulder stock.

This gun worked fine for a while and then I put it away over the winter. I left one pump in the air chamber as is recommended. I also put pellgun oil in the barrel, breech and air chamber tube.

This spring I fired a few pellets and then the cocking bolt was very hard to pull back. So hard if fact that after 4 or 5 shots I could not pull it back at all. I took out the hammer, buffed it up real shiny and made sure it slid flawlessly back and forth in the tube. I made sure that the bolt slid flawlessly back and forth at the same time. I reassembled the gun but I had the same problem.

I wondered if I had the transfer port upside down so I turned it the other way (long shoulder up). This seemed to help for about 2 shots and then the bolt became very stiff again and then I could not move it at all. Now I will have to disassemble the gun again to free up the cocking bolt.

Has anybody had a similar problem with their 1377c and if so what did you do to fix it ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

McMoose

Post subject: Re: Help ????
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:48 pm 

give us a little more info....
sounds like your bolt probe or the bolt handle is snagging along the steel breach somewhere....is it happening only as you pull the handle back to cock it or in the forward direction or both ?
also check your sear make sure the hammer isn't caching on some deformation or something...check also inside the tube where the hammer rides along.. and make sure that's all nice and smooth...if its sticking that bad you should be able to see some sort of wear sign along something...either the bolt handle, bolt probe, main tube or hammer or sear....:wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:12 pm 

Check the tiny screw under the bolt if you can get the bolt out. If its loose or not seated all the way, it will drag on your bolt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:27 pm 

Ace wrote:
give us a little more info....
sounds like your bolt probe or the bolt handle is snagging along the steel breach somewhere....is it happening only as you pull the handle back to cock it or in the forward direction or both ?
also check your sear make sure the hammer isn't caching on some deformation or something...check also inside the tube where the hammer rides along.. and make sure that's all nice and smooth...if its sticking that bad you should be able to see some sort of wear sign along something...either the bolt handle, bolt probe, main tube or hammer or sear....:wink:

Thanks Ace.
This is happening only when I cock it. Inside the tube is nice and smooth. I even polished the inside with a dremel tool. Now once in a while when I pull the trigger it would not release the hammer. If I tapped the side of the tube with the handle end of a screw driver (not loaded of coarse) the hammer would release. I will check the sear next.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:34 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Check the tiny screw under the bolt if you can get the bolt out. If its loose or not seated all the way, it will drag on your bolt.

Hi joe
As a matter of fact that breach screw is different from the original. I ordered it from scopes and ammo and they sent me a slotted screw which I like a lot better because it is easier to get in and out. The original screw is a allen key type and is easily rounded out so that it is hard to tighten or get out but I didn't have this trouble with the old screw. I do have a new one and will try that to see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestion

McMoose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 am 

Quote:
Now once in a while when I pull the trigger it would not release the hammer

This screams dragging sear, or hammer pin misalignment. . .

Quote:
So hard if fact that after 4 or 5 shots I could not pull it back at all.

When you took the gun apart, the loosening of which screw released the tension on the bolt?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:56 am 

Overtightening the plastic side plate, especially if you have shimmed the trigger and sear, will also cause the sear to not release.

All of the culprits mentioned by the gents here are correct.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:00 am 

vAgRaNt wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

When you took the gun apart, the loosening of which screw released the tension on the bolt?

Yes it does..Sometimes when you replace the OEM breech w/ a steel one misalignment when reassembling happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:05 pm 

vAgRaNt wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

When I loosen the top and bottom rear breach and tube screws I can move the bolt.

McMoose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:08 pm 

crossliner wrote:
vAgRaNt wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yes it does..Sometimes when you replace the OEM breech w/ a steel one misalignment when reassembling happens.

When I loosen the top rear breach screw and the bottom rear tube screw I can move the bolt.

McMoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:19 am 

Sounds to me like your breech screw is too long and pinching the hammer spring. I have had this happen before. The steel breech comes with a shorter screw to use for the rear and if too long will not allow the hammer to be pulled back all the way and will bind making cocking difficult. By this I don't mean the one under the bolt but the one that secures the rear cap from the top. I just shortened the screw with my Dremel then dressed the end with the belt sander. You could also add a shim or washer to the top of the breech to raise the screw until there is no bind.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 pm 

Hi guys
After reading your suggestions, I did check on the hammer pin. I took the hammer pin out and replaced it with the trigger pin (temporarily) and put the hammer pin in the trigger. This fixed my problem I am sure. The cocking bolt slides back to cock the hammer real easy like it used to. So I put the pins back in their proper places. On examining the hammer pin it is real wobbly in the hammer causing it to bind on the bottom slot of the breach. I think if I can replace the hammer pin with a new one that fits tighter that should solve my problem.

I couldn't leave the hammer pin in the trigger as it was too long. The trigger pin did drop through the hammer hole because there wasn't a shoulder on the pin to stop it from dropping down. Now I have to find a pin for the hammer and also the little ball bearing that fits on that little screw for the safety bolt. It flew out somewhere and I think landed in Timbuctoo.

Thanks again for your suggestions guys

McMoose

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 pm 

what brand is the steel breach ?
sounds very odd that the pin would be to long...is it the stock pin ?
you sure you didn't put the pin upside down...
take the back cap off the steel breach and just insert the screw then look down inside as you pull the cocking
handle back and you should be able to see exactly were its binding/caching...
still find it strange that its the pin but hey I've seen stranger stuff :lol:
you can file that pin down a bit if that's the issue...no need to get another one. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:33 pm 

Ace wrote:
what brand is the steel breach ?
sounds very odd that the pin would be to long...is it the stock pin ?
you sure you didn't put the pin upside down...
take the back cap off the steel breach and just insert the screw then look down inside as you pull the cocking
handle back and you should be able to see exactly were its binding/caching...
still find it strange that its the pin but hey I've seen stranger stuff :lol:
you can file that pin down a bit if that's the issue...no need to get another one. :wink:

Hi Ace
I bought the steel breach at scopes and ammo so I presume it is a Crosman breach. The hammer pin is stock and it is impossible to put it in upside down. I did as you suggested by taking out the end cap and putting the screw back in. The bolt will not move back at all.

I have been messing around all day with this thing. I found if I loosen the tiny breach screw under the bolt and loosen the top pump tube screw holding the end cap, I can easily cock the hammer and it fires flawlessly. Well I can't leave the screws loose. Now I am wondering if tightening these screws is causing the pump tube to warp out of being perfectly round causing the hammer to bind. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:38 pm 

I had a similar problem with my 2240. I solved it by using a worn out dremmel grinding stone. All the stone was gone, so the knureled end fit nicely into the hammer hole. A slight tap with a pair of pliers and it seated snugly. They are hardened steel and I have a hipac with power adjuster with full power it is considerably harder to cock than stock, as hard as I can crank on that cocking pin, it never bent or moved. There are even dremmel shafts that have a shoulder on them, but they may need some grinding down to fit properly. Using a cocking pin without that shoulder is way better. It never binds.