Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:26 pm 

You get me wrong , I was not looking to mod the baikal 61 to 1000fps, I have read many post about how it will not be reliable to go with stiffer spring and how the side leverage is to weak. I always do researsh before buying something and the baikal was no different . I buy it because the price was good, it was side level(just don t like break barrel) , magazine fed and I wanted to see if I would like doing target shooting with it. First thing I see is how fun it was but was a little low on the power . I already know about the nitro piston option, and it was sugested that it will help the vibration probleme of a spring piston air rifle and that it can improve the accuracy of it. Some as say that they see around 20fps improvement that is also welcome. But with all your answer , I realise that the nitro piston is maybe to much expensive for what it give you so I decided to keep it with the spring.

why I want another air rifle that can shoot around 1000fps with a magazine fed is simple.
1- a seller tell me that the law in Canada for hunting partridge with a air rifle is 1000fps and higher. (I will have to double check this info) so the baikal is not a option for hunting even if it is mod to shoot at 1000fps as it was not design for this

2- more fps should mean longer range shooting.

3- air rifle make less sound than a firepower rifle( 22 or 17hmr) and I do target shooting in my backyard. I have a big backyard without any house behind but I have neighbor on each side of my house like 500feets away on each side. So less sound= happy neighbor

So simple, I want 2 air rifles
1 is the baikal that I have and the second will be a legal hunthing air rifle with some advantage of the baikal( mag fed that it is not a pcp
I wish it will fix the confusion

Thank you again for your help

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:08 pm 

Ah, well that's clear then, and your points are all good ones. Except perhaps the partridge minimum velocity thing... but I do not know the hunting regulations in your province so cannot comment on that. Seems odd though. Well worth contacting the fish and game management authorities and finding out before committing to an airgun, in case you have been misinformed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:55 am 

no doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:51 am 

The nitro piston in the IZH completly eliminates all kind of buzzing and vibrations and it does get you more fps (well mine did) but it becomes harshers to shoot. Tuning your Baikal with a bit of moly lube would probably be more useful to you in the buzzing and vibrating department. IZH-60/61 aren't about power, they're built for accuracy and fun.
They're great backyard target shooters. You can stack pellets on top of each other and cut down matches with those rifles but trying to squeeze more fps out of them is an exercise in futility.
When I bought the nitro piston for mine I wanted the same kind of smooth shooting I got out my Crosman Trail NP but in a lighter more accurate rifle.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:57 pm 

daoust wrote:

1- a seller tell me that the law in Canada for hunting partridge with a air rifle is 1000fps and higher.

Tell your seller that he is wrong. Here in Quebec, it's at least 500.

In English:
http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/hunting-regulations/arms/arms.asp#small

In French:
http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/publications/enligne/faune/reglementation-chasse/armes/armes-munitions.asp#petit