Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:34 pm 

Seems everyone is doing something to their 2240 to up the pellet speed...longer barrels,shoulder stock,maybe some valve work,transfer port work,etc,etc.....me,I would like to stay with the stock 7-1/2" barrel platform and make it a better all-round gun....that being a steel breech,better sights,better trigger,(new trigger group)...lastly some nice wood grips.
What else is on the menu for a "stock" barrelled 2240? Lots of modding stuff out there,but I want to know what the locals are doing.Thanks,Huck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:43 pm 

I have done most of the mods with the 2240. I have $500 in the one with the repeater breach and custom grips.
Also have a carbine with one of Joe's stocks.
The one that is almost stock has a steel breach with red dot and every thing is polished. I like it and shoot it as much as any of the others.No valve mods only the trigger spring is changed to a lighter one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:48 pm 

Plasticman wrote:
I have done most of the mods with the 2240. I have $500 in the one with the repeater breach and custom grips.
Also have a carbine with one of Joe's stocks.
The one that is almost stock has a steel breach with red dot and every thing is polished. I like it and shoot it as much as any of the others.No valve mods only the trigger spring is changed to a lighter one.

Thanks Plastic,but I am looking for comments about mods done on a STOCK barrelled 2240.Thanks,Huck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:00 pm 

This one is very easy to do (bigger TP):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Wider-Max-Fl ... 35e5dda31a

It will increase your fps significantly and requires no special knowledge or tools.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:48 am 

wllm995 wrote:

It will increase your fps significantly and requires no special knowledge or tools.

8)

Thanks...so this will work even on a stock 7-1/2" barrelled 2240? How much will it drop (roughly) the shot count per co2 can? Huck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:49 am 

Quote:

It seems that it would be fairly easy to just ream an existing TP. Is there something difficult about doing this?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 pm 

The stock TP is mild steel, so if you're comfortable holding a small, somewhat delicate piece of steel and reaming the hole larger, if you have some way of doing that without crushing the part, then opening out the port isn't a problem. In messing around with tuning my 2240 I opted for making delrin ports as that material is so much easier to work with, and since it's not a critical pressure seal (the air or CO2 wants to flow through the easiest path, which is down the barrel) the fit need not be absolutely perfect. I went with reaming and polishing a conical hole through into the barrel then making a conical delrin piece to match. Makes for a nice pressure fit, pressed together when I clamp the parts together then bolt down the steel breech.

As regards efficiency with an enlarged TP, I doubt you'll see a significant increase in velocity. Perhaps 20 or 30fps. But the cost in excess CO2 use may not be worth it, depending on how much you like spending on cartridges. The stock setup with a 2240 is already quite wasteful of CO2. My approach if you were not going to a longer barrel would be to restrict CO2 use rather than increase it, in aid of a longer shot string with better consistency. Probably the best way to do that would be using a filler tube of some sort, maybe a piece of thick-walled vinyl tubing, inserted into an area of the valve body where it doesn't interfere with function of the poppet. This is the approach Crosman used in the old Challenger rifle. They put a brass tubular piece with about 1/8" thick walls into the valve, reducing the valve volume by almost half. It also reduces velocity of course, but still very usable for 10 metre use or casual plinking. I tested one of these for a fellow and was very surprised at getting a 95 shot string with an average velocity using Hobby pellets of 458fps. The last shot of those 95 was down to 399, but most were within the range of 435fps to 475fps. The rifle was rather inconsistent through the string, zig-zagging up and down, but this was because even the famously tight-fitting Hobby pellets were a very loose fit in that brass barrel. Going to a very fat .177" pellet would resolve the consistency problem. In the case of a 2240 I should think 80 to 90 shots per cartridge at around 420fps should be fairly easy to achieve with a slightly reduced TP hole and perhaps a 30 to 40% reduction in valve volume.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:52 pm 

YOu won't see increases in efficiency in increasing port size if your sticking with a bigger port, better to go the opposite way and get one of smaller diameter. I was thinking of making some up to try by reducing them about .010" in sizes, or to the closest Letter, number or fractional size. You just waste CO2 by going to a bigger port without going to a longer barrel. Also an RVA will help dial the speed of pellets once you settle on a post size. Remember you are not supposed to go over 500fps with a 2240 tube.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:28 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
YOu won't see increases in efficiency in increasing port size if your sticking with a bigger port, better to go the opposite way and get one of smaller diameter. I was thinking of making some up to try by reducing them about .010" in sizes, or to the closest Letter, number or fractional size. You just waste CO2 by going to a bigger port without going to a longer barrel. Also an RVA will help dial the speed of pellets once you settle on a post size. Remember you are not supposed to go over 500fps with a 2240 tube.

If and when you make some TP's with reduced diameter,I will buy one.
Seems that the 2240 in stock form is wasting C02 on each shot,so to save gas and keep the same velocity,going smaller with the I.D. makes sense to me.Thanks,Huck