Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: oil burner
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:22 pm 

I understand a springer needs some oil in front of the piston. A tiny bit is burnt on each shot.My question is what kind of oil is best and how much and how often do I apply it? I know this only applies to higher power rifles. Thanks for replies

Post subject: Re: oil burner
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:06 am 

If you really must lubricate the seal, sylicone chamer oil.
Personal opinion here, ITS OVER RATED to lubricate the cylinder chamber. Majority of the time damage is already done to the seal upon installation.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 am 

There is a recent post here regarding Cardew's book available on line. If you read the section on springers, he does an excellent job of explaining the "combustion" phase of a high velocity springer. Don't be surprised if you have more questions after reading it!

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:17 pm 

The oil will burn and make extra power for a very short time, unlike the Cardew belief that a drop of oil can somehow magically power a gun for a thousand shots. I knew it was bs so I tested a gun bone dry of oil, dry lube only and it made full power. Problem is a dry gun rusts. Depending on the seal and chamber wall condition the oil will help it seal just like in a 2-stroke engine. Then there's the seal itself that w/o lube would no doubt get friction burns and leak. They don't really need much oil, but I oil more often just to be sure it has enough and everything is protected. Silicone is ok for the seal itself, but not the rest of the gun, so I don't use it and can't say I anyone should. I use synthetic motor oil, but the oil vs silicone is a hot topic. If you find silicone in a factory gun let me know. I never have and that should say something. As Whitewolf mentioned the seals are usually damaged and leak already, so if you use silicone it sprays aft all over the metal parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:28 pm 

If you know the make and model of your rifle , I'd do an Internet search for the owners manual If I no longer had it.

I trust that the engineers who designed the thing- had in mind - the tolerances and and lubricity required to make the thing operate at peak efficiently.

The owners manual will list the correct lube and locations to hit with it-

if you use and maintain the thing as it was designed - it should preform as expected.

if you start throwing all kinds of wild cards in there- ddon'tknow what could happen.

Who knows your pro oil might be better- but what happens as that oil drys out and the shots become less consistent- there goes your precision..right?

With that said- I've gold an old pump daisy that iI've poured everything into over the years.. from motor oil to 3&1 to WD and it still holds pressure.

Crossman sells silicone chamber lube - marked specifically for the springer chamber though- Isuspect that this is what the owners manual will indicate.

So in the end do what helps you sleep at night - because your not going to notice a difference.

Personally. I sleep better knowing I got what the engineers say in there.

I don't belive it's just a gimmic to sell overpriced shock oil:p

pardon my ignorance ... and my auto correct