Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Benjamin Trail NP2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:52 pm 

Hi everyone,

As I already said in my first message on this forum, I am one day away from having my first nitro-piston air rifle (Benjamin Trail NP2 - PAA). Of course, since I decided to go for an NP2, I was looking all over the web about all the information I could gather about it. I read about its accuracy and some say it is dead-on accurate, others have problems with it. I would like to know if you guys have any experience with this model and would like to know your input. I've found this review on the net and it is something like this is what I am looking for as information : http://huntingunderground.com/the-benja ... -neophyte/. I have to wait another week before I can get it to the range, but any input from you, guys, is greatly appreciated. Thank you in Advanced !

Post subject: Re: Benjamin Trail NP2
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:31 pm 

http://thebestairrifle.com/review-benja ... np-xl-np2/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:36 pm 

I had a Benji Trail NP, and my first piece of advice is to clean out the barrel first thing. I shot mine for a while, then cleaned the barrel. It was filthy!

That should hopefully get you off to a better start than my own.

Also, be sure to manage your expectations. Some of the reviews I'd read made it sound like these things can get tight groups with the best of them out there. Getting a 1/2" group at 25 yards is probably achievable, but will take a lot of work. If your gun doesn't shoot well after running a few tins of pellets out of it, make sure you are using the artillery hold, tighten up your stock and mount screws, and consider removing the shroud to examine the crown.

Best of luck!

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:53 pm 

Thank you, guys, for your answers !
The fact that I am not going this week at the range is because I am waiting for a pack of JB Cleaning compound to arrive to clean the barrel first thing first. And yeah, I've already read almost everything Google can "find" about Benjamin Trail NP2.
Barfman, I know that the NP2 is not my 22LR and I know what to expect. I have seen some nice shooting with the NP2 up to 50 yards, which is the distance I am planing on hunting small game (grouse, hairs). Even though I can shoot my 22LR in the 0.3" (c2c) with the proper ammunition at 50 yards, I expect the NP2 to be about 1" at the same distance, IF I'm doing my job (hold, respiration, positioning etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pujl1EL8qFU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:16 pm 

Sounds like you've done your research... I think that you have an achievable goal. Let us know how it goes for you!

For pellets, chances are it's going to like the Crosman domed or hollow point more than the others, but you never know. You may have luck with H&Ns as well, as they're also made of harder lead. The Baracudas are great pellets, and worth testing out if you aren't getting results with Crosmans. This is about as cheap as you'll find the Crosmans:

http://airgunsource.com/crosman-premier ... gr/dp/1994

I bought some Benjamin hollow points as well, but they're pretty awful looking pellets, and I wouldn't recommend them. It's odd that Crosman's high end name gets the crappiest quality pellets that they make. They shoot well from my Hammerli Pneuma, but it's probably the only gun that can shoot them well.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:04 pm 

Barfman, You are right about the Ultra Magnum. Those are the ones I intend to use but for the first 500 I am going to use some HP Premier I bought from Canadian Tire. Thank you for the link, I know about them and wanted to buy my NP2 from them, but didn't have the one I wanted at the time. So I bought it from d&l airgun - who has great pellets prices too.

http://youtu.be/12DD8PAs4mE

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:02 pm 

Ok. I finally got it. I put the scope it came with on it but I am waiting for the right one to come in a week or so.
It looks nice, it is not that heavy and I can't wait to give it a cleaning and get out to the range.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:40 pm 

The barrels tend to have play so making some brass side washers helps. Then I'd look at the muzzle to see if the crown is done right, look for damage/tool marks within ~5mm of the muzzle, and push a pellet thru it by hand to check for roughness and tight spots.
Plus shim the scope, set parallax if needed etc. I'd replace the main seal too but that's up to you.
It looks like they fixed the scope rail issue, is the tapered cone section of the barrel metal now?
I've never seen a gun lock on an airgun before, is the a requirement in CA?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:40 pm 

Hey Chevota,

Thank you for everything, I'll for sure use all your excellent advises. Because my NP2 is a > 500 fps air rifle - PAA needed to buy it - yes, it has to be treated like any other rifles (rimfire, centerfire or shotgun). The same rules are applied to it in what is the security and handling it. So yes, in Canada I have to have a lock on it if I store it or get it in my car in a carrying box like the one in the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:21 pm 

To answer your question, Chevota, you don't need trigger locks on long guns in Canada, unless the gun is restricted. Lots of folks use them anyway.

Handguns and restricted long guns must be stored with trigger locks and in a locked case.

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:03 pm 

ricksplace wrote:
To answer your question, Chevota, you don't need trigger locks on long guns in Canada, unless the gun is restricted. Lots of folks use them anyway.

Handguns and restricted long guns must be stored with trigger locks and in a locked case.

Sorry ricksplace, but you are misinformed. Here is what the law says : http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-f ... ge-eng.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:41 pm 

I was at the range today and tested my new rifle. All I can say is the NP2 is very accurate if I do my part. I tested multiple holds and it seems that a good grip and a good shoulder position is what this air rifle needs to be accurate. I shoot about 150 pellets (14.3 HP) at 25 yards and I still got some work to do, but what I see is that this gun will be my grouse hunting gun. The consistency is the word and I have to get there with little work. The coking effort was not a problem for me. I shot resting the gun on my palm on a stand and free shouldering the rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:10 pm 

I've mounted a bipod under my Benjamin Trail NP All Weather.

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440727728.990760.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440727728.990760.jpg [ 125.85 KiB | Viewed 2034 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:44 am 

Nice setup, SureShot ! It looks like you have a CenterPoint 4-16x40 on your NP. Is it correct ? I just received mine and would put it on my NP2.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:15 pm 

This is the kind of results I had with my NP2 while I was doing the tests yesterday - 25 yards - Crossman HP.