Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana Model 5 post war
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:29 pm 

Hello All.

Just got a Diana mod 5 post war and it is wonderful shape except the piston...seal dovetail pushed in due to shooting the gun with shot seals.

Since a replacement piston is not going to happen I had to modify a Diana piston from the 5 (plastic grip) or 5g. The post war mod 5 has a long channel cut in the piston for the rear sight elevation screw. So I acquired a new 5g piston and went to work cutting the channel with my dremel.

Work out well and the pistol is shooting 7gr .177 at 450fps.

The model 5 post war has some nice features that did not make later models...like the adjustable spring for the sear and tapered barrel.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:40 pm 

That is an awesome antique! Congrats on your repair, it's nice to see an oldie in such good shape, and shooting well too!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:31 pm 

Nice save! A true beauty.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:42 pm 

Nice to see the old lady brought back to life.
That wood looks great,it would look great on my Diana from the seventies. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:18 pm 

good stuff.... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:23 pm 

The wood stock does not fit the plastic stock version or the later 5g version, due to the adjustable sear spring. On the post war 5 the u-shaped spring bracket takes up more space and sits slightly further back on the compression tube. Once I figured out the piston was shot, that is the first thing I did was put the wood stock on my '73 model 5, but it did not fit. I was very pleased when I could track down a 5g piston and modify for the groove.

Great addition to the collection.