Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Sear for xisico xsp 180
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 pm 

Wondering if anyone on this forum has or can make a new sear for an xisico xsp 180. If so roughly what would the cost be? I do have a limited experience in machining but do not have any equipment to try it myself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:40 am 

If ever you try to make it yourself, just be aware that it must be hardened and tempered to resist wear. A good machinist could be able to do it, but I guess it wouldn't be cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 pm 

My original one was made of soft very bendable steel so after a couple hundred shots it became very unpredictable, meaning it would go off on it's own. I slightly bent it back which would work for a couple shots but then same thing so I decided to case harden it by heating it red hot and dunking in ice water. I should have used oil as it might have made the metal harder but not as brittle but unfortunately I did not so after a few shots with it working better than new it snapped!! I have a machinist friend that I'm going to talk to but was just curious if anyone here on the forum has already found some or made one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 pm 

You only hardened your sear, without tempering it, which made it harder but brittle and prone to snap. Here's a link you may find interesting:
http://www.wikihow.com/Harden-Steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:24 am 

Thanks for the info, I was aware of this however too much in a hurry to try it after I hardened it just to see if it would work so decided to try a few shots but that's all it took darn it! Now I am looking for a new sear and can't seem to find parts anywhere?