Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Diana 280 spring
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 pm 

Vortek now stocks a sub 12fpe spring for the 280, its a straight drop in and I just put one in my rifle along with a Proseal28. The very first shots are a hair above 11fpe and it should improve as the seal breaks in.

Post subject: Re: Diana 280 spring
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:48 am 

what total cost of rifle and piston and spring?
maybe would be a better investment then others.
you know Diana is one the best airguns in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:54 am 

I changed the seal because I had over handled it in the past, otherwise the spring was $18.00 plus $21.00 shipping plus exchange. I bought the pring a seal and 2 extra breech seals for about $65.00 Cdn. shipped.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am 

so was a good deal, You double your power and still have a quality airgun. good job.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:57 pm 

Hi have a Diana 24 in .22 and looking to also do an upgrade. Could you post the link to where you bought the parts? Anyone know of any power upgrades for the 24 or if springs from other models would fit? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:11 am 

http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/airg ... %20Springs
As far as I know though the 240 or 24 power output is governed by the volume of the air chamber and its not a good candidate for a stronger spring, meaning the power gain will be minimal and the shooting characteristics will be worsened.
The Diana 280 is maxed out at being a sub 12fpe rifle where a Diana 34 may operate at 15-17fpe then the 350 etc. up from there. I did not see any listings for the 24 on their site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:45 pm 

I don't know enough about the 24 to say what parts, but if you post pix of your spring and seal along with dimensions I'm sure we can help.
The 24 will no doubt be very low powered no matter what due to it's small size, but there's almost always room for some improvement.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:57 am 

GarthThomas wrote:
Vortek now stocks a sub 12fpe spring for the 280, its a straight drop in and I just put one in my rifle along with a Proseal28. The very first shots are a hair above 11fpe and it should improve as the seal breaks in.

Hi Garth,
just curious here, and it may expose some mysteries of which I am not aware nor understand. You seem to be quite focused on power measurements that are pretty much irrelevant here in Canada (although not in Britain). For the sake of those on the forum who are still trying to figure out what is legal here in Canada, could you explain why the 11 fpe/12 fpe power ranges seem to be of concern to you (or am I just misunderstanding your point?).

Of course, here in Canada, these numbers are pretty irrelevant from a power/legal point of view. You definitely cannot reach an 11 fpe muzzle energy level without exceeding both the fps and fpe restrictions and putting your rifle into a non-restricted (PAL required) category. After you've done that, 11 fpe, 12 fpe, 325 (not with a springer, of course), it doesn't matter; you're shooting a non-restricted air rifle, all of which require the same PAL creds.

Have I missed a point here? If I have, I apologize; once again it's late and I have another friend over for the evening: Jack is his name. Jack Daniels. :drinkers: My question, however, references other posts you've made with similar power stats.

Thanks for any clarification you can offer (or even a kick in the in the proverbial balls of fire for not paying attention),

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:26 am 

The Diana280 isn't a power house even with the stronger spring but the sub 12fpe level is where this rifle has seen all it's on line reviews. So if you wanted your 280 to function at that level then it's now achievable with a minimum of effort. I must have mistaken this forums interest with some other forum sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:28 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
GarthThomas wrote:

Hi Garth,
just curious here, and it may expose some mysteries of which I am not aware nor understand. You seem to be quite focused on power measurements that are pretty much irrelevant here in Canada (although not in Britain). For the sake of those on the forum who are still trying to figure out what is legal here in Canada, could you explain why the 11 fpe/12 fpe power ranges seem to be of concern to you (or am I just misunderstanding your point?).

Of course, here in Canada, these numbers are pretty irrelevant from a power/legal point of view. You definitely cannot reach an 11 fpe muzzle energy level without exceeding both the fps and fpe restrictions and putting your rifle into a non-restricted (PAL required) category. After you've done that, 11 fpe, 12 fpe, 325 (not with a springer, of course), it doesn't matter; you're shooting a non-restricted air rifle, all of which require the same PAL creds.

Have I missed a point here? If I have, I apologize; once again it's late and I have another friend over for the evening: Jack is his name. Jack Daniels. :drinkers: My question, however, references other posts you've made with similar power stats.

Thanks for any clarification you can offer (or even a kick in the in the proverbial balls of fire for not paying attention),

I prefer my springers to run at 12fpe or lower even though you can make them run faster. I like the firing behaviour of sub 12fpe springers in .177.

maybe that's why he tuned the 280 for this range or maybe no other options out right now?

AA S400SL FT .177 Bushnell 8-32x40
HW30s .177 Bushnell Trophy