Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: pointed pellets
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:26 am 

A lot of people read this forum, even if they dont join in the conversation. There are a lot of shooters out there that shoot pointed pellets and some swear by them. serious shooters and competition shooters would NEVER use pointed pellets, they just are not accurate enough. some are down right pittiful and heres why. If you took a projectile and pointed the tip all the way to one side, not in the center. That pellet would likely not fly straight because as it cuts through the air, the air would push the pellet to one side and tumble. pointed pellets although seem to have the point in the center, if you look under magnification, you would see that because of the irregular surface the exact point could be off. even if that discrepency is a ten thoisanths of an inch or a millionth of an inch, at nearly the speed of sound, it will make a difference. since each pellet is different, each will fly different, which in turn will cause inaccuate results. Shure, some pointed pellet brands are more accurate than other,s, but none are as consistently accurate as domed or hollow point pellets, and even those are subject to quality controll during manufacture. poor quality domed pellets are just as bad or worse than pointed. Ever notice that pointed pellets are cheaper ? Theres a reason for that.
Another reason people shoot pointed is because they think the point will penetrate better. In a pellet gun the difference, if there is one, is unmeasureable. And as a side note, the olympic shooters use flat head pellets, which are far far farrrr more accurate than pointed pellets.
just my two cent rant.

Post subject: Re: pointed pellets
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:44 pm 

i agree 100%. pointed pellets are horrible from my personal experience. Pellets like the H & N Terminator in my NP2 are proving to be most accurate all around. Definately my pellet of choice so far in my NP2 and my Crosman Phantom w/Quest 1000 upgrade. Domed hollow point Premiers shoot well as well. Poly Mags seemed to be doing ok too because of the domed shroud. Not as fast as other pellets by around 50FPS but definately way more accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:25 pm 

Good info, Joe. This deserves a sticky. Time and time again this subject has come up, and there is never any kind of consensus formed as a result of the convo. Member after member applauds advice to stay away from pointed pellets, and then just as many members come along and say that X-pointed pellets work great in their Y-air gun. Oftentimes, they think they work well because they never tried anything else cuz CT is always a reliable source for Crosman pointeds.

$0.00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:37 am 

The best pellet for your gun, is the pellet that the gun shoots the best. Period. This is determined by testing as many different pellets as you can reasonably obtain, at
the ranges that you typically plan to shoot.

^^(That should be a Sticky)^^

Good grouping pellets come in all shapes, sizes, and brands. So do bad grouping ones. Only "your" testing with "your" gun can separate the wheat from the chaff.

Excluding one shape from testing, based on internet opinion and conjecture, could be to your folly. . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:48 pm 

The best place to buy those samples are from SSSO in B.C.!
https://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdoors.com/airgun-pellet-samplers.html

You pick the 6 pellets you want and they give them to you in a nice 6 pack plastic divided box. I have one bow of .177 samples and two boxes of .22 samples since I mostly own .22's. It is great way and affordable to find out what each gun likes without breaking the bank! stay away from pointed ones. The even have PolyMags if you want to try! They are all high quality: JSB, RWS, H&N and some EunJin.

I really think every first timer or relative new comer should invest in one of these six packs! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:06 pm 

Interesting Joe and I would agree that normal all-lead pointed pellets are not the best- for anything. However, I do consider the V-Max-like Predator Pellets to be VERY accurate in both my .177 HW97 and the .22 HW98. VERY ACCURATE, but have not shot them past 55 yards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:37 pm 

Very true daryl, but in my post I did mention that the pointed pellets referred to were always cheaper to buy. Polly mags , metal mags or whatever are usually over priced compared to all other types. In order to command those high prices, they have to deliver. A lot of engineering and expensive equipment go into them as well. Regular pointed pellets sell because people think because its pointed it should penetrate better. A soft lead pellet travelling around 500 fps is not going to penetrate any better than a domed head, if you hit the target at all. I wonder why metal mags dont come in domed heads ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:43 am 

Don't know.

I shoot Pred's in both guns as well as JSB Cometas in the M97 and Baracuda Hunter Extreme's in the .22. These 3 "types" seem to be the best, along with the old standby .22 cal. Crosman HP's in the .22.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:32 pm 

JSB's are great pellets so where the heck did the stratons (sp?) come from... ya cheap but c'mon JSB's? I tried them twice (2 tins) and yeah sure i hit my target but not with the typical JSB accuracy! predators work awesome but i still dont "undestand" the stratons :oops: they look cool sure but that ends there for me.
C.P H.P's and the superdomes work for me and if you can get the destroyers in .22cal they work very nicely to... for crosman...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:55 pm 

I've always wondered what it would do to sand the point flat on those Crosman pointed pellets, like making them ''semi-wadcutters''.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:22 pm 

You are right Joe. Most think that pointed will penetrate better. I think that's because supersonic jets are pointed. If you look at subsonic planes such as an airliner it's nose is rounded not pointed. Concord, on the other hand, was pointed because it was supersonic. They need the point to pass though the sonic shock wave. Pointed rifle bullets are almost always supersonic. Subsonic things are much better rounded, hence our round diablo shaped pellets and rounded bullets for say .22 rifles.
Red.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:15 pm 

redlock wrote:
You are right Joe. Most think that pointed will penetrate better. I think that's because supersonic jets are pointed. If you look at subsonic planes such as an airliner it's nose is rounded not pointed. Concord, on the other hand, was pointed because it was supersonic. They need the point to pass though the sonic shock wave. Pointed rifle bullets are almost always supersonic. Subsonic things are much better rounded, hence our round diablo shaped pellets and rounded bullets for say .22 rifles.
Red.

Good point...pardon the pun :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:28 am 

Daryl wrote:
I do consider the V-Max-like Predator Pellets to be VERY accurate in both my .177 HW97 and the .22 HW98. VERY ACCURATE, but have not shot them past 55 yards.

All the V-max and Predator have in common is the polymer tip. The polymer tip in the V-max is a much different design than the somewhat loosely seated tip in the Predator.

I agree on the accuracy to a certain extent. I've found that the .177 version sheds velocity fairly rapidly- I'd select a heavier pellet than the predator for distance work in .177. The Predators are a consistent game taker for me this side of 25 yds.

The .22 Predator I can stretch to about 35 yds, and still place my shots.

I like the Predators a lot. I also still have a 14" .22 Crosman bbl in the hoard here somewhere that is deadly with the RWS Super-points.

Vagrant nailed it with the bit on open-minded testing- much better off doing the testing yourself, rather than relying on internet say-so.

Which reminds me of the cheap B-2 springer I have that won't shoot anything but the deformed chinese peak brand lead points... go figure blah, blah, blah :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 pm 

redlock wrote:
Red.

Of course....... on the other hand...there's the round and kind of flat nosed hollow point .22 CCI stinger @ 1675 fps... I think vagrant said it best.Find out what your gun likes...maybe its a pointed.....maybe its not.With my nitro venom I have hit bottle caps at 75 yards with a pointed...and I've done it with rounds …...about an even number of shots.Go figure. :D