Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Nitro piston conversion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:49 am 

I have a Browning Leverage springer. It generates about 15 ft/lbs of energy and will shoot a predator 8 grain pellet near 1000ft/sec.
Good gun, and accurate but I can't use it for hunting small game. If you cock it when you can see and hear your quarry it's gone!
I understand that gas pistons can be cocked for long periods with no degradation. Because I'm already kicking myself for not getting the gun in it's .22 version I can't afford to loose any energy in the conversion.
Does anyone have any experience with this conversion and know where I could get a nitro piston that powerful?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:01 am 

If the rifle is being left cocked for an hour or so while your hunting your not going to see a drastic degration of your springs power. Leaving it cocked for a few days may leave some permanent effects.
As for a NPS conversion, try Eric eith Scopes and Ammo.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:22 am 

Thanks Whitewolf. I'm sure you're right. The problem's in my head though. Being the obsessive type I couldn't relax thinking, over and over again about my poor spring lol. I'll check out your lead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 am 

Aged wrote:
I have a Browning Leverage springer. It generates about 15 ft/lbs of energy and will shoot a predator 8 grain pellet near 1000ft/sec.
Good gun, and accurate but I can't use it for hunting small game. If you cock it when you can see and hear your quarry it's gone!
I understand that gas pistons can be cocked for long periods with no degradation. Because I'm already kicking myself for not getting the gun in it's .22 version I can't afford to loose any energy in the conversion.
Does anyone have any experience with this conversion and know where I could get a nitro piston that powerful?

That's an interesting test with a springer.I will chrony my .22 Phantom right now and then leaved it cocked(and empty of course) for 2 hours and chrony it again.It will provide at least a general idea of any power loss.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:31 pm 

Phantom Spring Test .22 cal.

H&N Spitz...15.74 gr........504 fps.
501fps.
507 fps.

After 2 hours left cocked

1st shot.........506 fps
500 fps
509 fps

No appreciable difference in fps/fpe after 2 hours.
If you can't find any game to shoot at after 2 hours I would say to shoot into the ground and hunt elsewhere.
I can't see it as a problem leaving your springer cocked for a couple of hours while hunting because you would certainly fire a shot long before then.I was ALSO wondering about that.Now I know. :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:46 pm 

Thanks MyCrosman. That was an interesting experiment. I'm going to give that a try. I guess I was conditioned as a kid to only cock it before you fire. Breaking old habits seem to be something I spend too much time doing. After all even if I leave it cocked that often and the spring eventually (years) shows weakening it is easily replaced.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:00 pm 

I don't believe that gun can be converted. Leaving a coil spring gun cocked is generally a non-issue. Imo the spring is either going to take a set or not, and if so it'll take that set rather quickly and depending on how long it's compressed overall. So 60 shots at one minute each or once for an hour is probably the same thing. To get rid of your fears you could just leave it cocked overnight, then it'll likely be set as far as it's going to be. Imo it's probably already set as far as it's going to be so I wouldn't worry about it to begin with.
In the olden days I think they may have pushed the springs too far with their windings in order to get peak power, and maybe the metal wasn't as good. These days springs and gun design is better so as long as the spring isn't defective you're good to go. Defective is the key word here since the gun is no doubt made in China you don't know what spring you're getting. It's probably from the lowest bidder from another source in China. Some seem to be fine, but as a whole the vast majority of springs that go soft are from China. So if you want you can get a better quality spring for it, or maybe one to keep as a spare if the one in it ever fails.
Then there's advertising for nitro/gas guns which they help boost by putting coil springs down, which is bs imo but it sells guns which is the entire point of an airgun business.
If you want more power you might squeeze some from a tune. Switching to Crow Mag pellets it would hit game like a 22, probably even harder, especially with a tune. I'd also try the new Barracuda Hunter Extreme, which may need more velocity to open up that your gun can make, but I think worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:02 pm 

MyCroman: Does that mean you're a felon now?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:22 pm 

After reading the initial post, I had to try it myself using my ruger black max .177.After 90 minutes leaving it cocked the chrony showed the same fps as before with all following shots.So I guess a couple of hours is okay while hunting, probably longer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:27 pm 

Aged wrote:
Thanks MyCrosman. That was an interesting experiment. I'm going to give that a try. I guess I was conditioned as a kid to only cock it before you fire. Breaking old habits seem to be something I spend too much time doing. After all even if I leave it cocked that often and the spring eventually (years) shows weakening it is easily replaced.

Yes... I think you are good to go leaving it cocked.happy hunting :D