Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:52 am 

Maybe not, but how many opportunities does a one get to use that word? I couldn't pass it up... If others don't know it they can look it up. It's good to learn a new words, especially ones you can't believe they exist. Like many odd English words it was robbed from Latin as I'm sure you're aware, and the "de" meaning out or away (but it seems English uses it for "remove", e.g., delaminate, decaffeinate). Fenestrate is Latin for window or opening, which we English hardly ever use but it happens. So it appears we stole their word for "out the window", and modified it to "a person thrown out or through a window". I would've interpreted is as "to throw something out a window", specifying "person" and including "through" adds credence to my belief this word was absorbed and modified just for fun. At least I get entertainment out of it. Then there's the other English meaning; "removing someone in power", which is prosaic compared to the window version. I threw that word in just for your entertainment :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:09 am 

Chevota wrote:
It's good to learn a new words, especially ones you can't believe they exist.

Here's one that if you haven't heard of it may give you a giggle - borborygmus (or as is usual in my case - borborygmi :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:54 am 

Well that seriously went off topic lmao.... :butthead: (Oh I'm surely gonna get in trouble for that emoticon, it is so not politically correct)

@ Lleader, Yup... in the video the human person that made the video is actually lubing the rifle with vaseline lol.

FB.

TR77 NPS
SA 941
S&W M+P
Colt SAA Blued Airgunsource Rocks! 2 days deliv. in NEW condition
ReplicaAirGuns.ca = Bad... rust and missing finish +30 days to be reimbursed...
had to pay to ship it back....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:59 am 

FrankBlack01 wrote:
Well that seriously went off topic lmao.... :butthead: (Oh I'm surely gonna get in trouble for that emoticon, it is so not politically correct)

@ Lleader, Yup... in the video the human person that made the video is actually lubing the rifle with vaseline lol.

FB.

Code:
Oh I'm surely gonna get in trouble for that emoticon, it is so not politically correct

YUP BANNED FOR LIFE ummmm or not :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:38 am 

FrankBlack, when you'll remove the end cap holding the nitro ram in the action, be careful with it. Mine had a tendency to bend. I don't know if they're prone to cracking, but that may also make the action slip out of the spring compressor if everything is not secured well. Except for that, it's a pretty easy rifle to work on. And you can rely on Chevota, he knows his thing for sure :wink: .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:27 pm 

I've never considered vaseline as a lube for anything, other than what is joked about. Better than nothing I spoze but just doesn't seem like it would work very well. Like I picturing wheel bearings failing quickly but I just don't know. Anyone?
airmec: Bend what? All those parts are pretty tough. With stronger nitro's I've seen the hole for the cross pin stretch and the pin get dented on the ends where it's pushing on said hole. That's oem btw, no tampering. As far as messing with it it should all be ok as long you only load it with the pin in and centered. If not centered then it's possible for one end to slip inside which will cause damage.
Or did you mean the plastic cap? For those I leave the cap off to compress it, then put the cap on after. If your cap has holes instead of slots then obviously the first time you open it you have to compress it w/ the cap. With the cap you can just press it at the flat part, or use padding to minimize stress on the tip. I just press it into the carpet, with an old towel down for any mess. Coil guns are no big deal, nitro is what can dent the end. The Crosman guns with really strong nitro's use a different end cap (the ones I've seen anyway) so a non-issue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:59 pm 

It's the part #6 on the Crosman EVP, they call it the rear base in the parts list, rifle model 30131 (actually, mine is a 7-30131, but it's the same part). I have blocks on my spring compressor to secure the spring tube (receiver), so there was no issue, but if someone with no experience tried to compress the ram with a wood clamp like a lot of peoples do, I wouldn't stay close.
Also, I made a nylon ''shoe'' for the cocking arm because the nitro ram was scratched by the cocking arm's foot. The damages stopped immediatly, and as a bonus, the cocking action is smoother! Hope it'll be helpful to some.

Attachments:
IMG_4539.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG [ 132.71 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]
IMG_4541.JPG
IMG_4541.JPG [ 166.08 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]
IMG_4540.JPG
IMG_4540.JPG [ 108.88 KiB | Viewed 1007 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:09 am 

Is that part #6 all one piece and all plastic? I thought it was the normal metal piece used on other nitro guns but with a longer than normal plastic cap....
The linkage can slip into the piston if the contact surfaces of the piston and linkage aren't shaped right, but your fix will work fine as long as it'll stay in place. I shape the contact surfaces so I've never had one do that, but still I never thought one would actually reach up that far and scrape the nitro.
The oem U shaped black plastic linkage slider is in place right? Easy to lose so just checking, plus keep an eye on it because if the linkage bows to the side too far while cocking it can break it which can cause serious problems.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:40 am 

airmec wrote:
FrankBlack, when you'll remove the end cap holding the nitro ram in the action, be careful with it. Mine had a tendency to bend. I don't know if they're prone to cracking, but that may also make the action slip out of the spring compressor if everything is not secured well. Except for that, it's a pretty easy rifle to work on. And you can rely on Chevota, he knows his thing for sure :wink: .

Thanks airmec, much appreciated! :D

FB.

TR77 NPS
SA 941
S&W M+P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:42 am 

Here she is with the Leapers UTG 3-9x40 True hunter scope,
Awesome scope love it but heavy, mainly the mounts....

FB.

Attachments:
scope.jpg
scope.jpg [ 170.73 KiB | Viewed 993 times ]

TR77 NPS
SA 941
S&W M+P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:43 am 

lauchlin wrote:
FrankBlack01 wrote:

FB.

Code:
Oh I'm surely gonna get in trouble for that emoticon, it is so not politically correct

YUP BANNED FOR LIFE ummmm or not :lol:

LOL! :lol:

TR77 NPS
SA 941
S&W M+P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:47 am 

Yes, the part #6 is a one piece, all plastic part, combining the end cap and ram base. Bad design imho. A while ago, I bought a used Trail NP with a busted ram and a bent barrel, which I'm using as a part donor (that's how I got my scope :supz: ). I've put the metal ram base in my TR77, of course I had to modify the original plastic ram base (bored out), so now it slips over the metal ram base, and I can remove it before compressing the ram, so no more bending of the plastic part.
Also, I replaced the original cocking linkage with the NP's one piece part. I had to press the pivot rivet out, but I've been able to re-use it . I deburred and smoothened the linkage foot, and installed the nylon shoe before putting it back in place. And yes, the black plastic ''U'' slider piece is in place :wink: . By the way, the damages to the ram occurred with the original linkage, I don't know if it's because it was binding, but now there's no more problems with it.
FrankBlack, I didn't meant to hi-jack your post, sometimes it's easy to get carried away :mrgreen: . I just hope you'll find the infos useful!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:07 am 

@ airmec

Not at all, it's all very useful and interesting. :)

FB.

TR77 NPS
SA 941
S&W M+P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:06 pm 

airmec: Good ideas for upgrading it. You're the first person I know to have reused the pin/rivet! I drill the end and toss em. You can also find a drill bit that's a tad to big and sand the shank down to be a press fit, I think it's # 5, 6 or 7 depending on the gun.
What power level is it? I'm curious because the nitro looks like the low power version, which I'm guessing is what the 7 in your part # stands for, but that nitro will still exceed 500fps so I was curious what kind of piston it has to throttle it back the rest of the way. So far I have pix of four different looking Canadian pistons so I was curious which you have, or if it's yet another type. If you remember or have a pix of it...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:37 pm 

@ Chevota: Thanks for your comment! I learned with my ''old school'' teacher to preserve as much as I could the parts I work on, sometimes it's not harder than obtaining a replacement.
My TR77 NPS is rated at 495 fps, the piston is 175 mm in length, longer than the other pistons in my other Crosman break barrels. The nitro ram have a 7 mm rod, and it's marked ''BT5M7...'', the marking is partly erased.
I'm joining some pix, but if you prefer, I could email them to you, just let me know :wink: . You can also see in the pix the modded plastic end cap and the steel ram base.

Attachments:
IMG_4542.JPG
IMG_4542.JPG [ 181.02 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]
IMG_4547.JPG
IMG_4547.JPG [ 184.35 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]
IMG_4546.JPG
IMG_4546.JPG [ 119.95 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]