Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Ottawa
I know, I know.

I should be putting in a steel breech on this thing, but I'd rather not spend that kind of time/money and I'm looking for cheaper, quicker alternatives.

All I want to know is.. Will I be able to shoot accurately at 10ish yards with the following setup? Not looking to do small tight groups, just better than the stock sights which are terrible IMO. I'm essentially trying to save this pistol because I'm really close to just selling it as in its default form factor, it's not much fun for me.

Mount: 459MTC
Sight: Crosman Large View Red Dot Sight 0290RD

See the image which is my cart at D&L airgun. I'm just waiting for some opinions before making the purchase.


Attachments:
File comment: Mount and sights
Crosman  1322 mount_sight.JPG
Crosman 1322 mount_sight.JPG [ 54.55 KiB | Viewed 1092 times ]

_________________
No scopes on any, just open sights:
- For the power: Norica Marvic 2.0 Luxe rifle (.22 cal)
- For the pleasure: Weihrauch HW30S Rifle (.22 cal)
- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:51 am
Posts: 1050
Location: Toronto Suburb
Don't waste your money on those.The red dot is junk and those mounts will not hold the sight steady.It will wiggle side to side no matter how tight you make them.I did the same thing and the sight and mounts are sitting in a box of bad purchases.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Ottawa
twister wrote:
Don't waste your money on those.The red dot is junk and those mounts will not hold the sight steady.It will wiggle side to side no matter how tight you make them.I did the same thing and the sight and mounts are sitting in a box of bad purchases.


Really that bad? They wouldn't be better than the stock sights?

_________________
No scopes on any, just open sights:
- For the power: Norica Marvic 2.0 Luxe rifle (.22 cal)
- For the pleasure: Weihrauch HW30S Rifle (.22 cal)
- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1754
Location: mb
I like the Tasco 1x30's but I do have an NCStar version of the Reflex you posted, and either one of these are head and shoulders above the Crosman variant you've linked.

I respect other opinions expressed on the intermounts, but I too used them early on. I agree they aren't a terrific solution, but they are workable and useable.

Send me your mailing address by PM, and I'll send you a NIB set of the Intermounts. (NoCharge - I bought 2 sets at a Wholesale Outlet a couple years ago expressly for this purpose - I paid less for the NIB Mounts, than it'll likely cost for the postage to send them to you! :lol: ). Take the money saved, and put it toward a better optic. The Crosman one isn't what you're after. . . .

It will be a step up, and forwards, from the factory opens you're working with now, towards your fore mentioned goal.

You're just a couple tweaks away, from having a pistol you're really going to enjoy!

IMHO, YMMV.

_________________
Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 pm
Posts: 1184
Location: Eastern Townships
Rizaloo, I know you said you're not much of a tinkerer, but just to let you know, it's feasible to fit on your pistol fibre optic sights from a Crosman break barrel rifle like your Phantom. It does make a huge difference compared to the stock ones. I did the mod on my 1377 and was very satisfied with it. On the other hand, vAgRaNt's offer would be hard to pass by :D .


Attachments:
IMG_4571.JPG
IMG_4571.JPG [ 176.57 KiB | Viewed 1056 times ]
IMG_4572.JPG
IMG_4572.JPG [ 193.77 KiB | Viewed 1056 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Ottawa
vAgRaNt wrote:
I like the Tasco 1x30's but I do have an NCStar version of the Reflex you posted, and either one of these are head and shoulders above the Crosman variant you've linked.

I respect other opinions expressed on the intermounts, but I too used them early on. I agree they aren't a terrific solution, but they are workable and useable.

Send me your mailing address by PM, and I'll send you a NIB set of the Intermounts. (NoCharge - I bought 2 sets at a Wholesale Outlet a couple years ago expressly for this purpose - I paid less for the NIB Mounts, than it'll likely cost for the postage to send them to you! :lol: ). Take the money saved, and put it toward a better optic. The Crosman one isn't what you're after. . . .

It will be a step up, and forwards, from the factory opens you're working with now, towards your fore mentioned goal.

You're just a couple tweaks away, from having a pistol you're really going to enjoy!

IMHO, YMMV.


Pm sent, thanks man!

So the optic I was going to buy is not recommended. I understand. So... Which dovetail would you recommend? I'm not against a scope but I think a scope on a pistol is silly. No offence to anyone of course!

_________________
No scopes on any, just open sights:
- For the power: Norica Marvic 2.0 Luxe rifle (.22 cal)
- For the pleasure: Weihrauch HW30S Rifle (.22 cal)
- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3580
Location: Edmonton
Saying it's not the right solution for you would be more appropriate. I have three handguns that I shoot with scopes, and while I am certainly not offended, I and others on this forum enjoy shooting with a scope on particular handguns.

On the other hand, Offers like Vagrant's are rarely if ever seen on other forums on the InterWeb. No doubt the offer is sincere; why not give it a try.

$0.00


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1754
Location: mb
The reason there's so many choices, is cause there's so many different types of people. It's All Good!

I like and use these:
Tasco Red Dot
Dot is a wee bit larger than would be ideal for our(airgun) ranges, and they're also a little on the stout side of things. . . . But I still like 'em . . . .

Centerpoint Reflex
The one I have is visually identical, but with NCStar branding. You'll need a Dovetail to Weaver adapter (Here) to use this sight on the intermounts, but it's still lighter overall than the Tasco. The 4x reticles are novel, and the Dot is still 3moa. I didn't buy this sight new; it was included on a used gun I purchased, and I've grown to like it on certain pistols. . . .

If you try either one of these and hate it; you'll still be hating it less than if you bought the one from your OP. . . . :lol:

To the Post Office tomorrow. . . .

I did try a LongEyeReliefPistolScope once. It just wasn't my thing. . . . It really, really, really wasn't my thing. Tip of the hat to anyone who can utilize magnification in their pistol optics. No way my hand is steady enough to maintain a sight picture. . . .

_________________
Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Ottawa
vAgRaNt wrote:
The reason there's so many choices, is cause there's so many different types of people. It's All Good!

I like and use these:
Tasco Red Dot
Dot is a wee bit larger than would be ideal for our(airgun) ranges, and they're also a little on the stout side of things. . . . But I still like 'em . . . .

Centerpoint Reflex
The one I have is visually identical, but with NCStar branding. You'll need a Dovetail to Weaver adapter (Here) to use this sight on the intermounts, but it's still lighter overall than the Tasco. The 4x reticles are novel, and the Dot is still 3moa. I didn't buy this sight new; it was included on a used gun I purchased, and I've grown to like it on certain pistols. . . .

If you try either one of these and hate it; you'll still be hating it less than if you bought the one from your OP. . . . :lol:

To the Post Office tomorrow. . . .

I did try a LongEyeReliefPistolScope once. It just wasn't my thing. . . . It really, really, really wasn't my thing. Tip of the hat to anyone who can utilize magnification in their pistol optics. No way my hand is steady enough to maintain a sight picture. . . .


The tasco one seems reasonable. Silly question (which will erase all doubt of my newbie-ness) are they battery powered and if so what type of battery?

Also thanks for the tip on scopes and ammo. I love Perth (my wife and I were married there) so any excuse to go out there is great. I figured the shop might be online only, but from your context it seems to not be the case.

_________________
No scopes on any, just open sights:
- For the power: Norica Marvic 2.0 Luxe rifle (.22 cal)
- For the pleasure: Weihrauch HW30S Rifle (.22 cal)
- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 pm
Posts: 51
Tasco Red Dot uses a CR2032 battery. The kind you put on a computer motherboard. Just replaced mine since my son left it on. LOL.

_________________
~Sean

Bunch of cheap BB guns
Bunch of cheap pellet guns
Bunch of cheap pellet rifles


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Ottawa
Yellowbeard wrote:
Tasco Red Dot uses a CR2032 battery. The kind you put on a computer motherboard. Just replaced mine since my son left it on. LOL.


If one takes care of it, how long should they last?

Also I don't suppose they come in a rechargeable format, do they?

_________________
No scopes on any, just open sights:
- For the power: Norica Marvic 2.0 Luxe rifle (.22 cal)
- For the pleasure: Weihrauch HW30S Rifle (.22 cal)
- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 pm
Posts: 51
if you remember to turn it off? Mine was coming up on 3 years old without changing the battery till it was on for 2 weeks. I don't think they make it rechargeble. It's a flat pancake battery.

_________________
~Sean

Bunch of cheap BB guns
Bunch of cheap pellet guns
Bunch of cheap pellet rifles


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Ottawa
Yellowbeard wrote:
if you remember to turn it off? Mine was coming up on 3 years old without changing the battery till it was on for 2 weeks. I don't think they make it rechargeble. It's a flat pancake battery.


Oh wow ok in that case there's no worries. For some reason I thought they'd be hard on the battery. Thanks!

_________________
No scopes on any, just open sights:
- For the power: Norica Marvic 2.0 Luxe rifle (.22 cal)
- For the pleasure: Weihrauch HW30S Rifle (.22 cal)
- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Posts: 1754
Location: mb
Quote:
. . . . the tip on scopes and ammo. . . . I figured the shop might be online only. . . .

I don't know if they have a storefront in Perth, I had only mentioned them as an alternative to paying for shipping from entirely the other side of the country. You'd have to contact them for clarification of this point.

The batteries in a RDot last a very long time, unless as mentioned, they are inadvertently left on.
That being said, it's always nice to have a spare on hand(in with your shooting supplies) as the device is completely useless without power. . .

_________________
Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:09 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Ottawa
Catching up on some posts - I prefer to reply to everyone who spends time to reply to me:

Airmec - I didn't realize this was possible! Very interesting. Was the mod complicated to do? You are obviously happy with the results, so please provide more detail if you have the time!

Ed500 - You're right. I take it back and regret the comment. Different strokes for different folks; something I myself say often but apparently need to practice what I preach!

Vagrant - For sure. Even a non-store front from Perth is better than super-expensive / distant shipping.

Wise advice on the spare battery; I'll definitely keep on one hand. I still have to get myself a nice little pistol carrying case or improvise one on my own. They just seem so pricey for what you get - the ones from the gun shops anyway.

What do you guys acquire for storing / carrying your pistols around?

_________________
No scopes on any, just open sights:
- For the power: Norica Marvic 2.0 Luxe rifle (.22 cal)
- For the pleasure: Weihrauch HW30S Rifle (.22 cal)
- For the challenge: Weihrauch HW45 Black Star Pistol (.22 cal)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO