Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:18 am 

My 1977 Slavia 631 has a problem; it won't catch when I try to cock it. Trigger seems fine, but the sear and trigger spring was worn and has been changed without this making any difference. What might be the problem? I love this rifle and would really like to get it back in order.

The gun in question. Stock stripped and finished with boiled linseed oil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 pm 

hard to tell without some up close pictures of the assembly....but it sounds like your piston cocking lever slot, like the one in the pic below is either worn out or not lining up properly with the sear....or your return spring might not be in the proper location...

Attachments:
cocking lever.jpg
cocking lever.jpg [ 47.02 KiB | Viewed 869 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 pm 

Someone else had a similar problem and I wondered if there was wear in the part the tail shaft went into which would allow the tail to pass up and over the catch. I think his was a 630 so maybe do a search?
If so then I suppose sleeving that part would fix it. Or adding weld to the catch to build it up.
It also talks about a spring that can cause that but I forget the details.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:29 am 

If the new spring has too many coils or is too long, it will bind before the tang reaches the sear. Also if a spacer was used to give more power, it may prevent the sear from engaging.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:05 am 

Ace wrote:
hard to tell without some up close pictures of the assembly....but it sounds like your piston cocking lever slot, like the one in the pic below is either worn out or not lining up properly with the sear....or your return spring might not be in the proper location...

The slot is not worn and seems to line up. By return spring do you mean the tiny spring between the sear and the trigger?

joe hickey wrote:
If the new spring has too many coils or is too long, it will bind before the tang reaches the sear. Also if a spacer was used to give more power, it may prevent the sear from engaging.

No spacer, and the problem occurs both with the original and the brand new spring from CZ.

Chevota wrote:
Someone else had a similar problem and I wondered if there was wear in the part the tail shaft went into which would allow the tail to pass up and over the catch. I think his was a 630 so maybe do a search?
If so then I suppose sleeving that part would fix it. Or adding weld to the catch to build it up.
It also talks about a spring that can cause that but I forget the details.

Ref topic65593-15.html

My gun has wear like in this picture:

Maybe that's the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:55 pm 

Yes, like the pix. Not saying that is the problem, just saying it could cause it or contribute.
So I'd play with it out of the gun to see wth, like maybe pushing the spring fwd while cocking, watching the parts move and interact while cocking and releasing. The last guys would catch but couldn't hold the spring pressure, but I forget if he ever fixed it. I think the thread where you found that pix has all the info on that one, and I think I remember some drawings in there? It's a pretty simple trigger so it should be easy to figure out where the problem is.
Attached is another drawing. If the spring doesn't push the sear fwd it can cause your problem. So when cocking the sear should push back and down to allow so the piston tail move past. Once back far enough the spring (31) will push the sear up and fwd. In that fwd position it will hold the piston until the trigger allows the sear to swing down. If springs 31 or 33 are broken or too weak it will prevent this. If the sear contacts are too worn it will slip. If parts 24 28 29 30 32 are worn it can cause your problem. If the piston is not pushed back far enough it can cause it. If there is too much friction at 28-29 or 30-32 it can cause it. If the piston catch (black spot) on 28 is worn down it can cause it. If the catch on the tail shaft of the piston is worn or a combination of that and parts 28 and 24 combined can cause it.

Attachments:
Slavia 630.gif
Slavia 630.gif [ 8.12 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:25 am 

Thank you for your suggestions.

Very irritating, this. I have posted a few "parts for old Slavias wanted" on local forums, fingers crossed. To cheer me up I just ordered a Cometa Fenix 400 Premier. Very nice lines imo, looking forward to get to know it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:34 pm 

Got a Slavia 630 via a Norwegian forum, moved the "body tube end plug" (part 24 in the illustration above) to my 631 and et voilà, the gun cocked! Fired about 30 shots this evening, no sign of the aforementioned problem. Here's one happy guy enjoying a cold beer - skål (cheers)!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:17 pm 

Cool! So I suppose it's safe to say it was wear in that part that allowed the tail shaft to go up and over the catch?
I'd think drilling the hole larger and inserting a steel tube with the correct ID would fix that. The part appears to be aluminum so I'd think it would be fairly easy. Or even just putting a little curved sheet metal patch over the bad area. Or using a plastic tube, liner or patch. Even just filling it with epoxy might work.
The end of the tail is obviously what wears on it so I'd smooth that and round it's edge. And of course grease, or better if you have it. No sense in letting the new part wear out too. Plus the safety risk of when it does decide to release. That alone would make me want to fix it.
So good deal, and if you fix the old part please post pix because others are in the same boat.