Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:30 pm 

I picked up an old rusty pellet gun at a pawnshop for real cheap. The gun was originally painted black but because of its age a substantial amount of it had come off. I just finished cleaning and sanding down the rusty exterior but I'd like to paint it black as it was originally. I considered bluing it but it would take too long and I don't think it would come out nice. So does anyone have any advice on how and what paint I should be using on this gun? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:55 am 

Only airgun I've painted was a Crosman 100. Used varsol to wash the parts, then bead blasted (sanding would work too). Final degrease with brake cleaner (I used a wood dowel in the pump tube to handle it...no finger prints) and then painted with semi gloss black lacquer. Let it set for a week to cure before handling much.

Seems to be reasonably durable, but time is the real test....ymmv

Al

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:18 pm 

I've had some good results with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy in black. Heat the part after cleaning, using a hot air gun. Mount parts on wire hangers which allow secure handling and hanging in an oven. Then light coats, sprayjng from 10" away or more in quick sweeps, probably three is best, being careful not to build up too much in any one coat as this paint sags badly when thick. After each coat bake for at least half an hour starting at 275°F then after five minutes raising to 375°F. Baking the final coat for 45 minutes helps make it tougher. Don't skimp on baking time, as the next coat will cause wrinkling and ruin the job is it is not properly cured. Spray each follow-up coat while the part is still quite warm. After the last coat allow to sit for several hours to thoroughly harden. The result is quite impressively durable and very sleek looking. Light rubbing between coats to remove dust bumps can be done using 0000 steel wool or perhaps very fine sandpaper. The pre-heating before spraying definitely results in a superior bond and evenness of coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:17 pm 

Aside from Cerakote the best aerosol paint is Brownells Alumahyde paint..They are available here in the Philippines for around $38..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:26 am 

Have you considered powder coating?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:19 am 

I ended up bluing it and it looks really good. You can see a photo of it in my other thread

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:34 pm 

Handyguy wrote:
Have you considered powder coating?

I bought a Powder Coating kit from Harbor Freight this summer, but still haven't tried it.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177