Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: WCFT. November 29
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:26 pm 

Hi posted in general as well
This is the last shoot of the season ,we resume in February .
See you at three did the month

Post subject: Re: WCFT. November 29
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:45 pm 

I'll see if I can get a hold of a decent rifle before then. If so I'll tag along :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:43 pm 

From the 'three did the month' I'm sensing thumb input on a phone, with auto-correct (more like auto-wreck) turned on? Probably intending 'the end of the month.' Oh what would we do without software telling us we're spelling things incorrectly, then fixing them incorrectly for us?

I'm lobbying my little brother to get him out there, working him carefully as he's a very busy guy who resists falling into the black hole that is airgunning, though he's plainly got the bug as he bought a Webley Mark 1 last week. He could use the relaxation I think. Failing that perhaps my wife will drive us out? She's said that in a couple or a few years she might consider taking up air rifle shooting as a hobby, but for the moment she's a bit caught up in her career. Still, if it's a decent day she might enjoy the trip, especially if it involved a decent meal out on our return to town. A bit of bribery never hurts. I'd get a license to drive myself, only I'd probably get side tracked and start thinking/talking about something else and cause a wreck. Or get lots of speeding tickets.

Anyway, I'll be there if I'm able.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:03 pm 

Damn I wish I could afford to go again! $142 for ferry, $90 for the hotel. $50 for gas and $20 for food all adds up. $282 bus quite a few 22XX PArts or the material to make them! It would almost get me about halfway to a Condor!

Oh well, such is the life of an old cheap retired Fart! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:14 pm 

magnus wrote:
I'll see if I can get a hold of a decent rifle before then. If so I'll tag along :)

let us know a few days b4 the shoot,somone will bring something

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:49 pm 

tulips? devilled eggs? a partridge in a pair tree? What will someone bring? :P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:51 pm 

A rifle you old silly man... or perhaps Magnus should borrow your avatar's super soaker?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:55 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
Damn I wish I could afford to go again! $142 for ferry, $90 for the hotel. $50 for gas and $20 for food all adds up. $282 bus quite a few 22XX PArts or the material to make them! It would almost get me about halfway to a Condor!

Oh well, such is the life of an old cheap retired Fart! :D

that's a lot of dough,make it once in a while,when you can

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:56 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:

some of us have more than one gun :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:23 am 

kelly1 wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Haha that would be much appreciated! I will let you know for sure!
I have started looking around at a few affordable options.. What are your opinions on these rifles ( all in .22 cal):
Brocock concept super 6.
Airforce Condor.
Benjamin Marauder.

I was also looking at the Hatsan 44-10, after it was recommended at the last shoot, but I can't seem to find anything else than the tactical version in .22, apart from the non-pal single shot version here in the forum store.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:38 am 

GerardSamija wrote:
A rifle you old silly man... or perhaps Magnus should borrow your avatar's super soaker?

Sorry, It's a restricted weapon. But it is a splendid idea that someone would bring a rifle to a shooting engagement. :mrgreen:

@magnus, all air guns you have listed are top notch, and each has it's own pluses and not-so-pluses. Don't rush an investment such as that; try a few out first. However, my SS-101 is not available, and requires special training in hydro-dynamics. But, if I understand correctly, there might be a few rifles available at the shoot to try out.

In the meantime, have fun, guys! Always enjoy keeping up with your activities out there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:52 am 

Firstly, while I prefer .22" generally and so shoot that at Mission, a lot of 'serious' HFT shooters choose .177" for the flatter trajectory, making for much less worry about holdover at different distances. Given the less than 20fpe limit, a .22" will be stuck at no faster than perhaps 750fps, slower depending on pellet weight, while a .177" with a 10gr JSB 8.4gr pellet can go to about 1,000fps. That's a little fast for precision with typical airgun pellet designs, so something more like a 10gr pellets is probably better, but you're still getting a much faster and therefore flatter flight over the same distances. Besides this advantage, the smaller pellet has a slightly higher chance of getting into the small target knock-down rings than the larger .22" which can catch on the edge and fail to earn 2 points for the shot. A tiny difference but every bit counts. So perhaps worth weighing your decision on calibre for these reasons.

For HFT apparently the rule holds that all rifles should be unloaded when moving between shooting stations, so the Super 6 might prove slightly awkward. Not too bad, you'd just need to remove the magazine or only load 2 pellets at each station. I'll be using a QB78 at some point instead of my 2240 carbine, with an 8-shot magazine, but I'll just remove the magazine and use it as a single shot for HFT. The Brococks use LW barrels and are very accurate shooters, so this would be a good choice.

The AF Condor will get you a fair bit of flexibility in terms of power levels, and since their barrels are interchangeable you have the option of going to much larger, or even to smaller bores as your budget allows in future. There are also many accessories for this rifle both from AF and from some after market suppliers. One which is generally recommended is a frame-stiffening rail to mount on top as that element of the AF designs seems to be somewhat flexible, some shooters saying this can cause consistency of POI problems. I'm not experienced with these airguns so can't attest to this being a problem but others here will no doubt speak up. AF rifles also use LW barrels, so precision there isn't an issue.

The Benjamin Marauder is somewhat like the Crosman 22xx line in the sense that it is a very popular platform for those who enjoy customizing their airguns. Endless pictures and descriptions of this basic gun exist in many forums, especially among US shooters. From what I understand they are either fairly accurate inherently or can be made so with barrel crowning and other tweaks. Perhaps one of the best choices for a limited budget, and again with lots of accessories available online.

I can't speak from any experience with the Hatsan either, but from Mike's example (his predates the renaming from Hammerli to Hatsan but is essentially the same thing) which you saw at Mission they can be very accurate and hard shooters. Another popular airgun for some modifications, though it seems these do not extend so much to stock changes or other cosmetic/user preference sort of changes, more limited to power level adjustment and air flow moderation. A Huma or Lane or other regulator is probably a good idea to achieve absolute consistent velocity from shot to shot, as would also be a good idea with the Brocock option. Vertical stringing through the pressure range can be problematic over the course of a match, or if you should take an airgun hunting. I certainly found the adapting of a Lane Lancet regulator to my Crosman carbine to be a huge improvement as I know there will be no significant power change over about 43 shots, from full pressure down to about 800psi. A regulated PCP is a real advantage. I'm not sure if the AF models can be regulated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:37 pm 

Thanks for all the information! I think I'll stick with a . 22 as I could probably take that out to slightly longer ranges than a. 177.
Right now I'm leaning towards the brocock, it's just slightly more expensive than the Marauder, but will hopefully be more accurate out of the box.
The airforce also looks great, so I might eventually have to get that one as well ;), it'd be nice to have one in . 25 for longer range plinking.
I of course still need to convince the wife of all of this..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:02 pm 

Ah, there's the rub. I've yet to break the news to my wife regarding my latest project for HFT. She has no idea about the QB78, which was dirt cheap in already heavily modified but not at all tuned condition from a motivated seller. But then I've thrown Leupold glass onto it, a VX-1 2x-7x scope which I just love. And I've put a pile of hours into modifying it much, much further. And there's the 13 cubic inch Ninja regulated bottle, and the adapter and mounts for that yet to come... It's going to end up being at least a $750 rifle when all is done and that's just the cash. At least another 20 hours of labour put into it... and I could have been charging $50/hour for that time if I hadn't 'wasted' it working on this airgun. So in the wife's eyes, that's a $1,750 Chinese toy. I'm going to have to make up for that. Some dinners at her favourite sushi places, Sushiyama and Zipang. And maybe I'll carve her something extra-special in silver for Christmas... good grief, this airgunning obsession gets costly. But dang, the QB78 is so accurate now!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 pm 

magnus wrote:
kelly1 wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Haha that would be much appreciated! I will let you know for sure!
I have started looking around at a few affordable options.. What are your opinions on these rifles ( all in .22 cal):
Brocock concept super 6.
Airforce Condor.
Benjamin Marauder.

I was also looking at the Hatsan 44-10, after it was recommended at the last shoot, but I can't seem to find anything else than the tactical version in .22, apart from the non-pal single shot version here in the forum store.

Cheers,

Single shot is the most reliable for ft.
If you are thinking of hunting too and want a mag ,then I could see going that way.
1st AA S200 .177
2nd Brocock ,177
3rd.Maurauder 177 [possibly needing tuning]
condor only if you are way more hunting oriented
22 cal ,then you are likely hunting more or want to run 18 to 20 fpe .
imho..kelly