Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:40 pm 

Your block of aluminum passed through Richmond B.C. today.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:55 pm 

It will be here before I need it, that's for sure.... :lol:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:56 pm 

The block of aluminum from Watertown arrived and I wanted to see how my new 1-1/4" drill bit worked so the first thing I did was square it off to size and drill it to fit on the Reservoir.... That went perfectly, although there is a lot more to do, machine the Forestock Mount into it and a Picatiinny Rail in the bottom.... The Forestock is a piece of 1-1/4" (ID) black plastic pipe 12" long that slides over the reservoir.... and a piece of it 6-1/2" long, split down the middle, will be used for the Cheekpiece.... Here are those parts....

Inside the Cheekpiece are two "washers" made from 3/8" aluminum, which will form the mounts.... One will be attached to the back of the Breech, and the other to the bracket that mounts the buttplate to the Reservoir Tube.... arranged like this....

Most of today's work went into making the Stock Bracket, which is shown in the photo below....

It is machined from a piece of 3/4" x 1-1/2" 6061-T6 aluminum about 5" long.... The large hole fits over the back of the Reservoir Tube and will clamp in place with set-screws.... The screws at the top will mount the rear washer that holds the Cheekpiece.... The three threaded holes at the bottom are for mounting the Buttplate, and an optional 4" wide Baseplate that can sit flat on a bench.... Here is what it looks like in side view....

The height of the Buttplate will be adjustable in height, tilt, and length of pull, using a threaded rod, locked by a wing nut as shown.... The center position for the front of the Buttplate is 1" behind the bracket, so it should be good and rigid.... By offsetting the threaded rod by 1/8" in the Buttplate, and with the 1/2" spacing on the holes, I will be able to alter the height below the line of sight over a 1-1/4" range in 1/4" increments (3 holes x 2 positions per hole)....

It is great to finally start making chips.... Next up will be finishing the Cheekpiece mounting washers, and completeing the BiPod / Forestock mount....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:12 pm 

Nice work as always Bob!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:46 pm 

Spent most of the day putting up Christmas decorations for the Motel today.... but did manage to get a couple more things done in the shop.... I drilled the two donuts that hold the Cheekpiece in place, drilled the mounting holes in the Cheekpiece, tapped the holes in the rear donut and mounted the back of the Cheekpiece.... I also made a stand that attaches to the bottom of the Stock Bracket instead of a conventional Buttstock to use when shooting from a bench.... It will help hold the rifle level, and act as a compliment for the front BiPod....

It is 4" wide at the base, so will have lots of stability.... You simply remove the Buttstock and bolt this on instead.... Not a lot of progress, but at least some today....

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:28 pm 

I got most of the BiPod made today, and did some more work on the Block that will mount it to the gun.... Here is the adjustable BiPod....

It doesn't look like much, but I think it should function well.... The crossbar, which will bolt to the mount on the gun, is made from a piece of 3/4" x 1" wide 6061-T6 barstock.... It is drilled and tapped for two pieces of 1/2" threaded rod.... The pieces shown are 8" long and 12" apart, and should allow for an elevation relative to the bench of about 6 degrees (360 MOA).... I can make longer rods, or they can just sit on a block of wood to raise the muzzle further relative to the bench if necessary.... The wheels are 2-1/2" OD pulleys with a 1/2" bore, setscrewed to the shaft, with a nut tightened up against them and secured with green Loctite.... The ends of the nuts are radiused so that when you rotate the rods, using the pulleys as handwheels, they won't hang up on the bench, allowing easy height adjustment in very small increments.... There are wingnuts to lock the height, which increases the rigidity of the assembly as well....It is remarkably stable, and I think with the easy adjustment should prove an asset to shooting from the bench.... It will bolt to the mount below....

There is still more work to do to this (you are looking at the bottom of it).... I still have to cut the slots in the Picatinny rail, and drill and tap either side of that for the screws that will bolt the BiPod above to it when shooting from the bench.... The boss on the side facing you fits inside the plastic pipe I'm using for the Forestock, and keeps it positioned so that the top of the pipe is touching the top of the reservoir, offset downwards.... As you can see, the boss is not concentric with the hole for the tube.... This will be attached to the reservoir with setscrews.... I hope to complete these parts tomorrow, and then it will be time to start on the internal parts....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:06 pm 

How did you form the stock bracket to get that nice taper between the small and large radius curves? It looks gorgeous!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:52 pm 

Hang it on pins/rods through the holes and snug down the mill vise. Can get pretty much whatever angle you want by varying pin/rod diameter or a consistent offset using two of the same diameter...machinists choice. :wink:

How I do it anyways. :rolleyes:

Al

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:57 pm 

Ah! I have sooo much to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:33 pm 

Actually, the milling attachment on the lathe makes doing tapers really simple.... You can rotate the vice to any angle you want around the vertical axis.... Since the milling cutter is in the chuck, it's like being able to tilt the table or the spindle on a mill.... :mrgreen:

Downside is that you only have 6" of crossfeed and 3" of vertical travel, and on some angles the useful crossfeed become much less to non-existent.... :cry: .... I barely had enough travel to do that taper....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:36 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Hang it on pins/rods through the holes and snug down the mill vise. Can get pretty much whatever angle you want by varying pin/rod diameter or a consistent offset using two of the same diameter...machinists choice. :wink:

How I do it anyways. :rolleyes:

Al

Show me Obi-wan! I need pictures! I still have about 95% to learn of what I want to learn!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:43 pm 

I finished off the Mount for the Forestock and BiPod today.... Here it is with the Forestock in place.... The Picatinny Rail is done now....

I also completed the BiPod.... It now bolts to the mount with two #10 SHCSs and has a built in level to check the cant.... which is easily adjustable with the handwheels on the threaded rods.... which are just above the bench....

Used in combination with the plate on the bottom of the rear Stock Mount, which completes the TriPod, the rifle will be easy to adjust to any required elevation by using the handwheels, and then a final set of the cant using the bubble....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:46 pm 

DO either of you have a ball turning tool that goes to your tool post?
Trying to find a simple one to make instead of using form cutters and files and finally sandpaper and polish.

Thanks Al and Bob!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:02 pm 

Nope.... bevel the corners on the mill and then use a belt sander for the radiused ends.... no 3D curves for me.... :mrgreen:

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:50 am 

Made up a mount for the Scope Rail to hold it for machining to cut the radius on the bottom and put in 40 MOA of angle.... This was a time consuming and nerve-wracking job.... Here is the results....

You will notice that the height of the lower portion of the rail is less at the front (left) than at the back.... The difference in the 6" long rail is just under 0.070" which works out to 40 MOA and should put me pretty close to the optical center of the scope at 200 yards.... I had to add one more mounting screw at the back....

I machined the taper into the bottom using a 1-1/4" diameter carbide router bit I got from China for less than $15 including postage.... It cuts very smoothly, and the radius fits the tube perfectly.... Setting the scope rail up so that I could machine it was tricky, though.... I had to bolt it to a backing strip of aluminum (1 x 1.5") with screws in 2 of the 3 holes and move the screws along so that I could machine the entire length.... I was JUST able to manage it without having to move the jig in the milling attachment....

Bob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next