Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:27 pm 

I just bought a 2240. I now have the following variations on this platform:
- 1377 Classic, brown grips, purchased from Canadian Tire about 3 years ago.
- 2289 Backpacker (Doomsday kit) purchased on a closeout sale at Canadian Tire, summer 2014.
- 2240 purchased from LeBaron, earlier this week.

The quality varies widely across the three guns.

First, the triggers:

The 1377 felt a little too heavy, and the release wasn't crisp. The sear was cleanly stamped except the sharp edges. It just needed some polishing to smooth it out. The had to shim the trigger to reduce the wobble. Squishing the spring and lubing the contact points produced a nice, reliable trigger pull at under 2 lb.

The 2289 felt much crisper and more predictable than the 1377 initially, probably because of cleaner stampings. However, the pull was over 4 lb. Modding the spring brought it even with the 1377, but it's tricky to cock, and I can get it to misfire about 2 times out of 5, just by banging my hand on the butt. It's benched until I have time to work on it.

The 2240 was awful. Tons of creep, gritty feel, and creaking noises. It looks like they were using a worn-out die to stamp the sears. Heavy striations and rough parting lines along the edges, caused the clicking and grinding that I could hear and feel through the grips. The trigger also had a rough spot where it contacts the sear. I had to file and sand the faces of both parts, before I could polish the contact points.

The top edge of the hook that engages the hammer was a little rounded and uneven on the sear, so I decided not to lighten the trigger too much. Still, after gently squeezing the spring and a little lubrication, I now have a trigger that's almost as good as the 1377.

Breech and sights:

The 1377 needed a moderate amount of windage adjustment to zero in the sights. Other than that, it's a tack-driver.

The 2289 is out of alignment. The front sight angles off to the right, and the plastic breech to the left. The result is an odd-looking sight picture that required a LOT of windage and height adjustment. It's quite accurate, once you learn to look past the peculiar setup. This one really made me aware of how little I paid for these things.

The 2240 isn't as easy to point as the others, but everything is nice and straight. At 20 feet, I was able to shoot one-hole groups right on the point of aim, straight out of the box.

I imagine that this at least partly explains the wide variation in reviews of the 13xx/22xx series. They're never going to compete with a 10M target pistol, but if you get a good one, you've got a fun gun for plinking and paper targets at short range. If you don't, be prepared to get out the toolbox...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:16 am 

Yes, I think you pretty much summed it up. You're lucky if you ever get a good trigger out of the box, although if you're persistent the rough edges will wear off with use and it will improve. But I think most people (here at least) expect to do work on these guns to bring them up to a reasonable state.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:05 pm 

Yeah they are cheap and put together in CHINA, if you bother to read the labels. They are HOWEVER a good basis for an affordable custom pistol or rifle.

Most of us on here have had one at a time in our lives!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:58 am 

It's a nice, low-impact way to practice some basic mechanical skills.

It's easy to see how you could get sucked down a rabbit hole with upgrades, though. I'm already wondering about picking up a small lathe...

Yesterday I noticed that the gap between the tube and the barrel looked uneven on the 2240. Sure enough, the muzzle end of the barrel was being pinched down towards the tube by the barrel band.

While working on the fit of the band with shims and feeler gauges, I discovered that the barrel was loose in the plastic breech. With the band loosened off, the barrel would swing back and forth a degree or two to either side when I tilted the gun!

It will be interesting to see if the consistency of my shot strings improve, now that the barrel is seated better.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:04 am 

I also totally agree with your assessment. I understand Crosmans use of a plastic breech to keep cost down, but surely a better grade of plastic wouldn't cost that much. Unless it's because they want to sell steel breches after market.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:27 am 

joe hickey wrote:
I also totally agree with your assessment. I understand Crosmans use of a plastic breech to keep cost down, but surely a better grade of plastic wouldn't cost that much. Unless it's because they want to sell steel breches after market.

Sadly, much about Crosman's recent developments has been about the race to the cheapest cost of manufacture. It wasn't until I had the chance to look at some of their older guns that I realised that they used to make much better quality stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:42 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
joe hickey wrote:

Sadly, much about Crosman's recent developments has been about the race to the cheapest cost of manufacture. It wasn't until I had the chance to look at some of their older guns that I realised that they used to make much better quality stuff.

True Jim!
I picked up a 150, and 4 MK I. Only thing plastic on these guns are the grips. Very well made and both have a high and low velocity setting!

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177