Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:06 pm 

Hey guys,

Now that I have a PCP with a long distance scope, I'm thinking of relegating my Benjamin Trail NP to short distance targets and hunting.

I don't need the scope and I like how quick regular sights are at target acquisition. Plus, I don't need to worry about breaking them or having to readjust everytime I change targets.

That said, I wonder if gluing front sights and mounting piccatiny style rear sights would work?

I don't want to remove the barrel shroud and I'm not inclined to drill to mount the sights.

Another option vs a rear piccatiny would be simply gluing or mounting the rear with double sided tape or something. That way I could experiment with heights easier.

Unless there's a rear sight with A LOT of height adjustment with piccatiny. That would be ideal.

Anyone else try something similar?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 pm 
Supporting Member

Back before I found out it couldn't be done, I made iron sights for my Surge. (I love to tinker with things.)

For the front sight, I epoxied two about 1" fender washers together and then cut off about 1/3rd. I Dremmelled a groove in my muzzle break to accommodate the twinned washers and epoxied them in, cut off side down. (I used two because I found that a single washer was inclined to incline either left or right.) On the rounded top I glued a small piece of finishing nail, head side rearward. The top of the front sight is about 5/8" above the top of the barrel. You can grind the washers down a bit after installation if needed, or glue something to the top.

On top of the breech of the Surge there are two threaded holes with plastic plugs in them. I fixed a sight from a 1377/1322 on the rearward hole and cut the notch wider to allow for the wider front sight. (I guess I could have ground the front sight narrower too.) I replaced the tiny "adjustment" screw with a bigger hex headed bolt. After the initial fitting, that rear sight provides just enough adjustment to make them accurate.

It took some fooling around and dry fitting and fairing and stuff, but the sights actually work very well.

If I had it to do again, I'd spend more thought on how to make the front sight look less like two washers and a finishing nail but they are functional and a lot of fun to use.

Peter :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:24 am 

PeterG wrote:
Back before I found out it couldn't be done, I made iron sights for my Surge. (I love to tinker with things.)

For the front sight, I epoxied two about 1" fender washers together and then cut off about 1/3rd. I Dremmelled a groove in my muzzle break to accommodate the twinned washers and epoxied them in, cut off side down. (I used two because I found that a single washer was inclined to incline either left or right.) On the rounded top I glued a small piece of finishing nail, head side rearward. The top of the front sight is about 5/8" above the top of the barrel. You can grind the washers down a bit after installation if needed, or glue something to the top.

On top of the breech of the Surge there are two threaded holes with plastic plugs in them. I fixed a sight from a 1377/1322 on the rearward hole and cut the notch wider to allow for the wider front sight. (I guess I could have ground the front sight narrower too.) I replaced the tiny "adjustment" screw with a bigger hex headed bolt. After the initial fitting, that rear sight provides just enough adjustment to make them accurate.

It took some fooling around and dry fitting and fairing and stuff, but the sights actually work very well.

If I had it to do again, I'd spend more thought on how to make the front sight look less like two washers and a finishing nail but they are functional and a lot of fun to use.

Peter :D

Boy that sure sounds complex! Haha

Yes centering is the tricky part.

What I plan to do is use a piece of string and align it with the center axis of the rifle (based on the seam of the synthetic stock) then mark the center where I plan to put the sights.

It may not be perfect or exact but it'll be close.

I'm looking at shotgun low profile front sights since outer diameters would be similar as the Trail.

PS

The more people tell me something can't be done, the more I want to do it hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:00 am 

Why not put a Red Dot or some other quick sight sight on your Benjamin?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:54 pm 

SureShot wrote:
Why not put a Red Dot or some other quick sight sight on your Benjamin?

Yes that's an option but it's tough looking for a good one that's also not very expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:44 pm 

I'm going to experiment with the rear. It occurred to me that I don't need a notched rear. All I need is some kind of marker to align the front to and for that, I could use the existing scope mount...

Here's my idea...please excuse the poor drawing haha...

The green dot is the front sight.

I actually have a few options on where to put the dot and I can adjust it by repositioning the mount anywhere on the rail.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:33 am 

This is my sight Rob..Bought it from amazon.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:43 am 

crossliner wrote:
This is my sight Rob..Bought it from amazon.com

Interesting...thanks for sharing