Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:33 am 

Help. The valve body broke in half along the area weakened by the set screws and enlarged port hole while firing.
I cleaned out as much debris as I could but something is preventing the bolt lever from cocking the gun. Without the lever all the way back I can't remove the magazine. That means I can't get to the front screw holding the receiver to the hammer tube. The lever goes back to where it just starts to engage the hammer and moves it back about a quarter inch. I believe I've had trouble getting the lever all the way back before and so it might not even be related to the broken valve body.
Any ideas for dismantling the gun? I feel like I'm the one that's screwed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:21 am 

Hi,
By removing the back screw and trigger you should be able to remove the back end of the receiver than remove the hammer and spring and will give you the leverage to remove the front breech screw and magazine.

From what I understand...you didnt enlign the cocking hammer screw for the hammer or the trigger was not adjusted properly at first so it was forcig to engage.

I hope I understtod well.

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Benjamin Marauder DougP custom stock
Theoben SlR98 .22
AlEx Custom gun .22 (JezX built masterpiece) :)
Hatsan Atp2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:35 am 

Thank you Alextermination.
I sort of knew that I would have to disassemble the trigger and rear hammer tube to see what was going on inside but I was nervous since there are usually springs and levers that go flying. You convinced me to do it and I found the problem. I guess the last time I reassembled the receiver to the hammer tube the spring must of flew off that keeps tension on the wishbone shaped lever ( # 2620 on the schematic) that I believe stops the hammer from bouncing back after it strikes the valve stem. It was bent and wouldn`t allow the hammer to go back in the cocked position. Once I removed it the hammer went back alright and bolt lever was able to cock and I was able to get to the breach screw.
Does anyone know where I can get a new valve body in Canada without buying a new tube?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:45 am 

Check with Dan at the Forum store...far as I know he is the only source for parts in Canada. May have parts not shown on the website.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:15 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Check with Dan at the Forum store...far as I know he is the only source for parts in Canada. May have parts not shown on the website.

Al

X2. If Dan has any in stock. The old valve can be salvaged, but to rebuild it would cost near a new tube. Just saying.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:46 pm 

My friend,
post a picture of the valve in question. You might be able to repair it.

The valve itself when I bought one was around 45.00 bucks.

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Theoben SlR98 .22
Hatsan Atp2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:10 am 

The valves I have seen damaged were because somebody tried screwing in set-screws without threading first.... or used too large a screw and didn't leave enough material between the screw holes.... I have also seen valve stems damaged from using screws that are too long.... You might want to try and diagnose the problem before attempting it on a replacement valve.... When done properly they stand up just fine.... unless dropped, of course that will bend them, even without the screw mod.... I have seen photos of all of the above problems....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:46 pm 

When i plugged the 5 hole i did tried at first to screw them in without tapping and almost broke the valve.
What I did instead was the following:
After I identified the hole that was the best enligned with th TP...

I filled the valve with saran wrap paper. Push really tight in it. and over the course of 7 days...each 24 hrs ...I put multiple layers of jb weld steel epoxy and marine epoxy.
Once it was all dry and solid. I removed the saran wrap very slowly and the job was done. I then slowly removed the excedent with a small file.
The last thing I had to do was to drill the unblocked hole with a .171 drill bit.

Unfortunately i did not took any picture so it never happened :)
I thought I d share my method...it works for a guy with no lathe or machinery but a lot of patience.

Hope this might help you.
Alex

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Theoben SlR98 .22
Hatsan Atp2