Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:17 am 

Hello, I'm new to this board and to air guns and could use some pointers about gun maintenance...

I've got an old Benjamin Sheridan 397P that's maybe 10-15 years old and hasn't been used in at least 5 years. And it's never been maintained in any way.

Is there a guide somewhere about general maintenance? What should I do and how should I do it?

Thanks for any help...

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:18 am 

I'd check the plunger to see if it's still soft an functioning. Basically if it pumps up and makes full power then its working, but eventually it'll harden and/or shrunk and leak. At 15yrs old I'd just replace it and all the O-rings either way. The O-rings can be found locally but the plunger is probably Crosman only. I guess that's about all it'll need.
You can get a parts list and diagram from Crosman: http://tinyurl.com/j9qnc39
Pick your year, then the parts diagram

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:14 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I'd check the plunger to see if it's still soft an functioning. Basically if it pumps up and makes full power then its working, but eventually it'll harden and/or shrunk and leak. At 15yrs old I'd just replace it and all the O-rings either way. The O-rings can be found locally but the plunger is probably Crosman only. I guess that's about all it'll need.
You can get a parts list and diagram from Crosman: http://tinyurl.com/j9qnc39
Pick your year, then the parts diagram

Very helpful, thanks! And that link is terrific.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:33 pm 

No need to replace anything if it still works. Get some Crosman pellgunoil or 30wt non detergent motor oil. Apply some in the plunger area (in front of it as well so you can pump it into the valve seals) and the pivot joints.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:32 pm 

Some of those black rubbers don't like motor oil, and since I'm not sure what kind of rubber that seal is I'd say stick with tranny fluid or silicone oil. I hate silicone so I'd use tranny fluid, but sillykone is probably better for the plunger. Trans fluid or motor oil is better for all the non-rubber parts tho. The plunger is likely very cheap so I'd buy a couple, but the work replacing it and the mess (if it reacts to motor oil it can goop up the guts) is the bad part.
If interested I'd search the net to see if anyone makes a flat top piston kit for it which would use an O-ring instead of that custom plunger dealie of unknown material. Google flat top piston for 1322 to see what I mean. Or maybe the 1322 kit is the right diameter and can be fitted to yours with a little effort. Just some thoughts...