Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 pm 

I just want to give a shout out to a couple of vendors who did well by me the last couple of weeks.

First, a big shout-out to Cibles Targets Canada http://www.targets.ca. I used the link to their eBay store to order two packs of magazines for my Daisy 953. This was handy, as other vendors were out of stock. Since they were on sale, I also picked up shaker pellet trays in .177 and .22

Cables was VERY quick- initial order to receipt of product was only 4 days.

Secondly, I am very happy with the service I received from Charles Mellon at Mellon Air.

He now uses clickable "add to cart" links to make ordering easier, with integrated PayPal payment:
http://mellonair.myfreesites.net

His prices are great, even at current exchange rates. His responses to my emails were prompt and very clear. More importantly, his machining and engineering is top-notch.

The power adjuster looks great, and the recessed screw adjustment is less intrusive than the large knobs and extended shafts on the Crosman adjusters. The pivot pin kit he sent me for my 1377 has an extra bushing and custom-cut spacer to reinforce the pivot area.

The best part was the 1377 barrel I ordered. To my surprise, it came with a beautifully re-crowned and polished muzzle. The breech area had also been touched up.

The second barrel was intended for my 1377, as I had already used the stock barrel on the 2240, and was happy with the performance.

However, the new one was so nice that it had to go on the 2240. Installed along with the extended-probe bolt and Daisy fibre-optic front sight that Charles sent me, the 2240 is grouping noticeably tighter than it did before.

The power adjuster made it much easier to detune the pistol in order to keep it sub-PAL at .177 with the longer barrel, as well as reduce noise and C02 use.

Once I've finished my testing, I'll either lock the adjuster or replace it with the stock cap, to prevent tampering.

Not bad for less than $75 Canadian, including tax and shipping...

Attachments:
2240 with Mellon bolt barrel and adjuster - 1 (1).jpg
2240 with Mellon bolt barrel and adjuster - 1 (1).jpg [ 158.93 KiB | Viewed 1468 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:40 pm 

Cibles is great. I get all my "Official" targets from them and a few Shooting products. Haven't ordered from Mellon yet. Was there any import costs or duties? Was it shipped USPS?

Thanks!
-Rick

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:56 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
Cibles is great. I get all my "Official" targets from them and a few Shooting products. Haven't ordered from Mellon yet. Was there any import costs or duties? Was it shipped USPS?

Thanks!
-Rick

I to am curious, didnt know mellon shipped up here!!! Good on ya and the gun looks great and im sure she shoots as nice ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:58 am 

Mellon's package came USPS, direct to my door.

Item descriptions on the package were concise and accurate, and there were no extra taxes or fees.

The 2240 is shooting so well, that I'm questioning the rest of my build plans. I'm only shooting casual paper target, in a small indoor range in first place.

This is my first time having the pistol back together since it started shooting well over 500 fps with the longer .177 barrel. Now that it's back together and shooting sub-PAL velocities, the trigger feels good, though not match-grade, the heft is just right in my hand, and it points well.

My curiosity about lasers, dot sights and scopes has been largely satisfied, thanks to the acquisition of a cheap laser for the Vigilante, and a parallax-corrected 3-9x scoped rifle (the Daisy) that set me back less than $100 including extra magazines, courtesy of PA and Cibles.

If I stop now, I've got $150 plus labour in the 2240, plus my time.

The next logical step would be $100 plus, for a steel breech kit and an LPA or Williams sight, and it's questionable how much my accuracy would improve.

Meanwhile, there's something satisfying about having a cheap steel-and-plastic C02 pistol that shoots so well. Also, I have other interesting low-cost experiments ahead, like creating blinkers and a peep attachment for my reading glasses, making a stock extension for the Daisy, etc.

The smartest investment for the 2240 might be to concentrate on burning through my pellet stash, and having fun!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:17 am 

Just a heads up.
Although there has been some dissenting opinion and debate on this topic on this forum, many, myself included, believe there's a good chance your 2240 would be classified as a restricted weapon if one merely has to turn the knob of an RVA to attain <500 fps. I recall you being genuinely concerned about this issue, so I'm just putting that out there. I guess we'll really never know until the courts rule on such an instance. I certainly don't want to be that test case.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:21 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Just a heads up.
Although there has been some dissenting opinion and debate on this topic on this forum, many, myself included, believe there's a good chance your 2240 would be classified as a restricted weapon if one merely has to turn the knob of an RVA to attain <500 fps.

From what I've read, I totally agree.

That's why my 2240 isn't going to stay assembled until I have it locked down at sub-PAL velocities.

At only $10 US, I felt that the Mellon Air adjuster was a good way to be able to fiddle with hammer springs and adjustments without having to take the gun apart every 5 minutes during the tuning process.

There's no knob on the adjuster, just a flat-head screw at the back. These are the options I'm considering:
- Pin the screw and epoxy the end so it can't be adjusted
- Replace it with another extended but non-adjustable cap
- Shorten the spring enough that it will work with the Crosman cap.

I won't make a final decision until I have a few issues with the power plant worked out. At the moment, the shot-to-shot velocity variations are too great (78 to 94 FPS, depending on the pellet).

Still, I actually prefer the look of the pistol with the stock part, so that would be my first choice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:16 pm 

If the screw is 3/8" x 24tpi I have several options for you. Just cover the postage is all I ask.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:37 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
If the screw is 3/8" x 24tpi I have several options for you. Just cover the postage is all I ask.

That would be cool, but I'm not sure what you mean...

Different adjuster screws?

This is what the Mellon Air setup looks like:

Attachments:
Mellon Air RPA installed - 1.jpg
Mellon Air RPA installed - 1.jpg [ 154.39 KiB | Viewed 1260 times ]
Mellon Air RPA guide and stock spring - 1.jpg
Mellon Air RPA guide and stock spring - 1.jpg [ 174.61 KiB | Viewed 1260 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:40 pm 

Note the galling visible on the end of the spring guide.

That was due to the rear screw in the grip frame being a little too long, and interfering with the adjuster. I will have to smooth that out, and shorten the screw, as that wold have been interfering with the hammer spring.

I was getting inconsistent velocities (worst case was 94 FPS on a 10-shot string), and I'm thinking that might have been part of the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 am 

What diameter is the screw? How many threads per inch?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Crosman 150 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:07 pm 

BassmanSteve wrote:
Note the galling visible on the end of the spring guide.

That was due to the rear screw in the grip frame being a little too long, and interfering with the adjuster. I will have to smooth that out, and shorten the screw, as that wold have been interfering with the hammer spring.

I was getting inconsistent velocities (worst case was 94 FPS on a 10-shot string), and I'm thinking that might have been part of the problem.

Yes, that's the classic cause of a big variation in fps. I think we've all been there. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:38 pm 

Just a quick update- refinements continue with a lightened and polished hammer and shortened hammer spring on the de-tuned and .177 caliber 2240.

Sure enough, stability returned after cleaning up the galling on the hammer spring guide and shortening the rear grip frame screw so it didn't interfere with the spring. The velocity variation was down to 14 to 15 FPS per 10 shot string.

Still not as good as I would like, but pretty reasonable for a cheap mass-market C02 pistol, I guess.