Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:15 am 

Whitewolf wrote:
Mac wrote:
The biggest problem I see is the person that has "tuned" a couple of their own guns and then hang out their sign as a tuner. I have seen a great number of tuned guns go to a real tuner/airgun-smith to correct issues caused by these self proclaimed tuners. I am not referring to anyone particular, just that there are more wannabes than there are the real thing. In Canada, we have a few of the real thing and they are busy and some no longer accept work for a variety of reasons. Working on a gun with a botched tune job is much harder than working on a gun that has not been touched. You cannot believe the mess that some of these tuners create and call it tuning or modifying.

Those that have been around for a good number of years know what I am talking about. I do feel sorry for some of the new folks that inevitably will become victims of these hacks that call themselves "tuners".

Very well stated there Mac, you summed that up in a simple explaination of real world facts.

X2. I was merely stating that there are reputable tuners on this forum, and if expressions of joy and gratitude are any measure of reputation, a search of this forum will reveal some of them. Whether they have the time or inclination to take on new clients is another story. It's nothing about being in any kind of an "inner circle." It's just human nature to come to the aid of someone you've met, even if it is initially on an Internet forum. And there are likely only a few exceptions yo the fact that members here have befriended other members solely (at least at first) from their interactions here.

So, don't be left out; join in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:21 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
X2. I was merely stating that there are reputable tuners on this forum, and if expressions of joy and gratitude are any measure of reputation, a search of this forum will reveal some of them. Whether they have the time or inclination to take on new clients is another story. It's nothing about being in any kind of an "inner circle." It's just human nature to come to the aid of someone you've met, even if it is initially on an Internet forum. And there are likely only a few exceptions yo the fact that members here have befriended other members solely (at least at first) from their interactions here.

So, don't be left out; join in.

I am with 100% on joining in as there is a great deal to be learned and friends to be made.

An "inner circle" does not really exist; I agree. A group that have been around long enough to actually know, does exist. I am sure you and many others have been reading through "expert" advice and you are just forced to smile, shake your head or whatever you do when your BS detector goes off. You immediately know you would never let that individual touch any of your guns, much less the good ones. Not everyone will pick up on the clues like that. It comes with time, experience and sometimes like you state, with advise from a friend whether it is online or in person.

Would that everyone thought like you and I and a number of others do, that it is natural to help someone out when needed. Not everyone is motivated that way. Some see new members as marks to put a few bucks in their pocket. They generally do not last long, but can victimize a few before they are exposed. Out of the 13000+ members here, how many are active and well known? There is a core that have been here for many years and another group that changes constantly as time goes by. I think the few that know what is going on have a responsibility to be honest and helpful to the new folks. I have tried to do this by PM, but have found many resistant to the idea that someone is trying to take advantage of them. (maybe a pride thing) The number of new spring gun experts out there at this time is truly astounding. To call someone on their bad advice on the open forum is like suicide; many really knowledgable people did this and are no longer posting or have been banned. Even if you believe, based on experience that a particular gun is a POS, to say it openly draws very negative attention.

I like that the forums allow us to meet over long distance and share a common interest, but one of the great things is also that you can learn about people in your own and and get out to share a day of shooting with them. Get a bunch of air gun enthusiast together with a variety of guns and that is where learning can happen fast. If your entire air gun experience happens online, you are missing the most important part of our hobby. I have met a good number of forum members in person and it is always much more satisfying than trying to read their intent in the written word. Not saying the written word is bad, it is just the best we can do until we are face to face.

A little longer and more involved that I intended, but get out there and meet some great folks that share this hobby with you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:24 pm 

good video - nice accuracy - 3/8" at 51 meters by the looks of it. That would be nice, at 15fpe