Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:11 pm 

Oops! Jumped straight in a while back, and neglected the introductions.

I enjoy forums, for the opportunity to share stories and ideas with other enthusiasts.

By day, I'm a self-employed electronics technician and computer geek. I'm happily married, with 5 children ranging in age from 9 to 39 (!!!).

I grew up in a musical family, and have been playing bass guitar and doing sound for 50 years.

I've always been a tinkerer. In terms of music, I design, build, repair and modify tube amplifiers, speaker cabinets and other audio equipment. I built a bass guitar with the help of a luthier friend, and went on to build an upright electric bass and a couple of electric guitars. I've also modified and/or restored a dozen off-road and street motorcycles over the years.

Target shooting has always fascinated me. I like the challenge it affords, the precision required, the relative quiet, and the opportunity to work on the equipment.

I had a brief fling with a Gamo rifle in the 1980's, shooting paper targets and plinking indoors. What I really wanted at the time (and still do), was a competition pistol a la FWB, Steyr, et al.

I resurrected the hobby a couple of years ago, starting small with a series of Crosman's- a 1377 classic, 2289 Backpacker, 357 Vigilante revolver, and a 2240. Most recently, I branched out with a scoped Daisy 953 rifle.

Thanks to the good folk at GTAC, I recently won my first BB gun- a Gamo PX-107. Unfortunately, my crowded workshop/music room/office/shooting range isn't BB-safe, so I will probably be selling it in the near future.

I like shooting, but as with everything else, I spend more time tinkering than doing. My 13xx and 22xx's already feature modded triggers. The 2240 currently sports a 10.5" .177 conversion with an extended probe bolt, a fibre optic front sight, and a power adjuster.

The 953 is at stage 1 of a stock extension project (mounted and roughed out, adjustable for vertical offset), and the 3-9x32 scope has been dialled in for minimal parallax at 20 feet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:28 am 

Ah, a fellow musician. Good to have you sir. I'll have to keep you in mind if I need servicing on any of my older amps. I have a 1973 Traynor YBA-3 that might needs new caps soon and a general tune up. :-)

I, like you, have my music room / hobby room / range all together. I found that dollar store shower curtains acting as a corridor from myself to the targets cut back on BB bounce and never hit any of my instruments. Those BB guns are fun and worth hanging onto if you are willing to do a 2 minute precautionary set up before shooting.

How are you liking the 953? I just got one from TSC a couple of months ago and lately it has been my go to gun. Love the thing. Was completely surprised by it.

Bunch of cheap BB guns
Bunch of cheap pellet guns
Bunch of cheap pellet rifles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:26 pm 

Yellowbeard wrote:
Ah, a fellow musician. Good to have you sir...

...How are you liking the 953? I just got one from TSC a couple of months ago and lately it has been my go to gun. Love the thing. Was completely surprised by it.

There seem to be a number of us on the site. I believe that Gerard Samija is a bassist and luthier, as well.

My real airgun interest is 10m target pistols, just can't afford one right now. Everything else is just a distraction.

Still, I was curious about optics and sights (my vision isn't the best), and couldn't resist the $70 sale on the 953 S at PA.

I had mixed feelings about the 953, until I finished a prototype stock extension for it last night. I'd still rather be shooting pistols, but this is a very nice little gun.

Pros:
- I prefer the open sights over the ones on my Crosman pistols. May be the shape of the rear sight cutout and front post?
- The short stock isn't a problem when you're using it with open sights.
- Something just feels right about the way it sits in my hands, even without a stock extension.
- It's more accurate than I am with the iron sights, and doesn't seem very pellet-sensitive.
- Light weight
- Zero recoil.
- Quiet, low muzzle energy- makes it indoor-friendly.
- If you can find the S package w/upgraded glass (3-9x32, instead of 4x20), the scope is surprisingly good.
- Although the creepy, heavy trigger doesn't feel very good, the wide, curved trigger is easy on the finger. It has me thinking about putting trigger shoes on my Crosman pistols. Also, a bad trigger doesn't seem to affect my accuracy nearly as much as it would with a pistol.
- The stock can be extended with plastic spacers, if you order them direct from Daisy.
- Alternatively, a simple wooden or metal stock extension can be made and attached with longer #8 wood screws.
- Did I mention that the scope is awesome, once you sort out the stock and dial in the parallax?
- Unreal value in terms of accuracy per $$$ spent.

Cons:
- The stock reflects the intended use with youth training programs. Anyone over about 5' 8" is definitely going to need a stock extension.
- The short stock and low mounting make it very difficult to get a good sight picture with the Scope. Youth shooters will quickly grow out of the short stock, too.
- Daisy ought to package this rifle with the plastic stock spacers from the 853. Or at least make them available as a dealer accessory.
- It needs less gunsmithing than cheap Crosmans, but I did have to shim the rear scope mount. It was shooting too low with the vertical adjustment maxed out, even at a mere 18 feet.
- As mentioned above, the trigger action is crap. Overly heavy for a target rifle, with an unpredictable release.
- Closing the cocking lever feels horrible. It's just an overly notchy, stiff catch at the end of the travel, but until I got used to it, I kept thinking that I was bending the lever and missing the latch when I closed it.
- I'm told that these things are very reliable, but I don't like the idea of a plastic bolt and trigger. It makes sense at this price point, but I would happily pay $10-20 for a metal trigger set.
- The single-shot pellet tray is fiddly, especially for someone with large hands. Also, the 5-round magazines are a bit iffy.

They're much more convenient than the single-shot tray, but while the one that came with the rifle only skips a pellet once every 3 or 4 loads, the first one I tested from the extra 5-packs I bought kept skipping, and completely refused to fire any pellet placed in the fourth hole.

Haven't tested the rest yet, but the other 9 better be a whole lot better...

The other issue, is that the magazines are overly size-sensitive. IIRC, RWS Meisterkugeln were OK, but JSB lights fell out of the magazine every time I tilted the muzzle up, or cocked the lever too enthusiastically.

All in all, I think this is an amazing purchase at this price point, especially if you can catch it on sale at TSC or PA.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:42 pm 

Welcome aboard!
Quote:
children ranging in age from 9 to 39

You might want to look into what the cause of that might be. . . :lol:

I thought I was bad; I have 4 ranging from 2 to 13. I bow to your undeniable prepotency on this matter!

It does beg the question; are you done yet? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:23 pm 

Holy Crap Steve 9-39!
Sounds like my best friend. When I met him at 18, he had a younger sister at 16 and his oldest sister 56! 8 kids in all. Protestants, not Catholics, as if that matters.......

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:36 pm 

I wish I could take the credit, but my wife and I were foster parents for 18 years, and ended up adopting a couple.

If we're only talking biological offspring, we're down to "only" a son and daughter 25 and 29, and a stepson who is 39...

Adoption is an amazing journey. I worried about having enough energy to take on a two year old boy at age 54, but 7 years later, I have to say that raising him has actually increased our zest for life.

Parenting is a lot easier once you get through the first batch without anyone poking their eye out. Far less stress and anxiety...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:09 pm 

Welcome aboard BassmanSteve! It's good to see more fellow musicians on this site. Maybe I'll catch you at GTAC one of these days.

Megiddo65