Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 pm 

I picked up one of the Daisy 953 S packages with the 3-9x32 scope upgraderecently.

Good price for a nice little scope with rings included, plus a free starter target rifle thrown in for good measure!

The only trouble is, I am 6' 3", with a 54" chest and 37" sleeve. The youth-friendly proportions of the stock make me scrunch my neck something awful in order to use the scope.

Shooting the 953 this way was uncomfortable, and results in frustratingly random groups. I can actually get better results at 20 feet with my Crosman 1377.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:51 pm 

Have you built an extension yet? If so, pix would be great. I'll gladly pay for someone to build one for my three 953s (actually the club's).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:53 pm 

I recently had a chance to see everhopefull's modded 953 "match rifle" in the flesh. After studying photos of Olympic 10m rifles, and looking at the various contributors posts to Joolz' excellent DIY thread, I felt ready to take the plunge.

I took some measurements off my 953, and determined that I needed about a two to two and a half-inch extension, plus a cheek riser to extend the Monte Carlo stock upward.

I looked at doing a high-tech look with tubing and/or rod stock, but decided to prototype a simple solid wood extension instead, with some inletting at both ends to tie it solidly into the stock and butt plate.

Given the scrap softwood I had on hand (not going to waste good teak, maple, we get or padauk on a $70 rifle), I ended up with a pine block, and a separate plywood end plate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:57 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:11 am 

Geez, guys, give me a break, I'm trying to put this together on an iPad!

Anyway, I roughed out the extension a little oversize, and then test-fitted it.

The first thing that was clear, was how much easier it was to hold the rifle steady. The proper reach helped to lock my upper body in.

The second thing, was that the scope and comb height were still too low. I had to contort my neck in order to see through the scope, and it was hard to duplicate the position from shot to shot.

I tried a piece of pipe insulation foam over the top of the stock, and it helped a little. But it was much easier to lock on a target if I raised the butt pad up on my shoulder, well beyond the natural position.

Clearly, everything needed to come up about an inch and a half to two inches.

That was when I had my "Aha!" moment.

I could easily offset the piece of plywood with the butt plate let into it. All that was needed, was one extra hole, and some different length screws. If I added some extra holes, I could even make it adjustable, just like the Olympics (only dorkier)...

Here are some pictures of the assembly at this point, still only roughed out and unfinished:

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 52.59 KiB | Viewed 2462 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 45.1 KiB | Viewed 2462 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 53.2 KiB | Viewed 2462 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:19 am 

BassmanSteve wrote:
Geez, guys, give me a break, I'm trying to put this together on an iPad!

Just ribbing a little - please note all the 'stick handlers' have smiling faces...

I already like what you have done. Problem is, I hate working with wood and have virtually no woodworking tools.

How did you deal with the 'ridge' that joins the two plastic pieces?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:22 am 

Understood. Smiley faces to be inferred in my last post.

BTW, this is definitely the ticket. No need for a comb extension. That's a relief, since it was going to be a pain to implement.

My cheek finds the stock naturally, without dropping or angling my head excessively. I was able to pull the scope further back on the rail, which gave me more room in the breech area for loading the pellet and cocking the bolt.

The sight picture in the scope is larger and more stable, and holding the crosshairs still on the target is no longer a problem.

I fired off a couple of clips, and instead of getting groups that seemed almost randomly offset from my intended POA, I was able to get nice, tight patterns, right on the bull. With no fliers, even though I was shooting cheap Crosman non-Premium wad cutters.

Here's the gun full length, along with the new scope position:

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 32.88 KiB | Viewed 2447 times ]
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 36.11 KiB | Viewed 2447 times ]

Last edited by BassmanSteve on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:35 am 

lleader wrote:
...I hate working with wood and have virtually no woodworking tools.

How did you deal with the 'ridge' that joins the two plastic pieces?

I love working with wood, and have access to a drill press, Dremel, router, sanding drums, etc., which gives me an edge.

I slapped some tempera paint on the "rails" underneath the butt plate, then screwed it to a piece of wood, so that the rails stamped a pattern on there. Then I cut matching grooves in the plywood, so the the butt plate would sit flat when I put it back together.

At the stock end of the extender, I plan to sand back the ends (the back of the stock is slightly curved, not flat like it looks), and then rout a little channel around the outside edge, so the extender will sit down into the stock a bit, just like the plastic butt plate.

That said, it was pretty stable, just screwed to the original stock mounting holes with stainless steel #8 wood screws. It's a little unsightly, because you can see a small gap. But it's strong enough, and would be fine for daily use.

Note that you only need the fancy offset butt plate, if you're like me, and built like an ape.

Most people would be happy with a simple extension, going straight back. If you go to the last part of Joolzy's DIY stock extension thread, you'll see that he found a nice way to make extensions, without fancy woodworking tools and mad skillz.

All you need is some hard foam, two screws, and a razor blade to shape it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:15 am 

Cool. When are going into mass production?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:30 am 

Here's a link to Joolz' excellent original post, which demonstrates a variety of cheap, easy stock extension methods:
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic64695.html?hilit=953%20DIY%20stock%20Extension

I can't get over how much small ergonomic changes improve comfort and accuracy. Now I see why match pistols and rifles have all those fine adjustments.

In this case, the butt pad has only moved 3 or 4 inches down and back, yet it has transformed the 953 for me, especially when shooting freehand.

Far more effective than hours spent goofing around with trigger refinements...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:01 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:

Probably not real soon...

Product must be:
- Priced proportionate to the sub-$100 price of a Daisy 953 at PA
- Reasonably attractive
- Adjustable to suit a wide range of physiques

Startup labour costs of $650 including gratuities, assuming a reasonable $15 an hour:
- 8 hours of Honey-Do's in order to appease my wife for the shop time
- 15 hours of surfing forums and Google Images
- 5 hours of staring at stuff in hardware stores for inspiration
- 10 minutes searching for the drill bit I dropped, times 6
- 7 hours watching useless YouTube videos
- 2 hours of cruising back and forth between Lee Valley, Crap Tire, Home Depot, etc.
- 3 hours drooling over Air Arms catalog
- 1 hour searching for my reading glasses
- 2 1/2 hours at the drill press

Material costs $160:
- $10 gas
- $5 parts
- $15 snacks
- $5 drinks
- $25 unused screws, aluminum rod and tubing, etc.
- $100 cool/useless gadgets from the impulse aisle at Lee Valley

Don't even get me started on administrative expenses. My wife saw me carrying all those bags in from the car, and now she thinks I'm making her something nice for Christmas!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:26 am 

BassmanSteve wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Probably not real soon...

Product must be:
- Priced proportionate to the sub-$100 price of a Daisy 953 at PA
- Reasonably attractive
- Adjustable to suit a wide range of physiques

Startup labour costs of $650 including gratuities, assuming a reasonable $15 an hour:
- 8 hours of Honey-Do's in order to appease my wife for the shop time
- 15 hours of surfing forums and Google Images
- 5 hours of staring at stuff in hardware stores for inspiration
- 10 minutes searching for the drill bit I dropped, times 6
- 7 hours watching useless YouTube videos
- 2 hours of cruising back and forth between Lee Valley, Crap Tire, Home Depot, etc.
- 3 hours drooling over Air Arms catalog
- 1 hour searching for my reading glasses
- 2 1/2 hours at the drill press

Material costs $160:
- $10 gas
- $5 parts
- $15 snacks
- $5 drinks
- $25 unused screws, aluminum rod and tubing, etc.

Don't even get me started on administrative expenses. My wife saw me carrying all those bags in from the car, and now she thinks I'm making her something nice for Christmas!

I like a guy who knows the true cost of a project. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:29 pm 

I'll have to save that post for later use... If the wife ever says something about this or that part been a little expensive, I'll be able to show how much it would "really" cost to build my own :partyman:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:12 pm 

Nicely done Steve, and well written too :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:54 am 

BassmanSteve wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:

Because of said reason pointed out here.... I am not allowed in their anymore.

Thanks for the write up, ideas and the chuckle!

Bunch of cheap BB guns
Bunch of cheap pellet guns
Bunch of cheap pellet rifles