Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:04 am 

Hi all, I posted about some scope base troubles recently(this morning) and I have a question about tuning the same rifle.
First of all, will tuning the gun make it easier on scopes and mounts? I feel like it should since it will make the recoil less harsh, but before I spend the money I want to be sure its worth while.
secondly, how difficult is it to install say, a Vortek tune? it just slides into the piston doesn't it? I'm looking for smoothness, not power gain.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:43 am 

Hello magnum22,and welcome to the CAF :) . The man you want to speak with is Chevota, he's kind of our resident expert in break barrel tuning here on the forum. IIRC, he owns a Diana 350, so you'll get first hand knowledge from him. Sure hope he'll chime in.

As a side note, I do believe that a good tune helps a lot for smoothness. I have a Benjamin Classic .22 495 fps that was a scope destroyer before tuning it, after the tune I never had another issue, and it's way easier and pleasant to shoot. A smooth running machine is always easier on the hardware :wink: .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:48 pm 

airmec wrote:
Hello magnum22,and welcome to the CAF :) . The man you want to speak with is Chevota, he's kind of our resident expert in break barrel tuning here on the forum. IIRC, he owns a Diana 350, so you'll get first hand knowledge from him. Sure hope he'll chime in.

As a side note, I do believe that a good tune helps a lot for smoothness. I have a Benjamin Classic .22 495 fps that was a scope destroyer before tuning it, after the tune I never had another issue, and it's way easier and pleasant to shoot. A smooth running machine is always easier on the hardware :wink: .

Thanks for the welcome! I figured this would be the case. Am I stuck with buying a tune kit, or is there things I can do to the gun to make it smoother to shoot without buying anything? looked up a vortek tune today and was not pleased with the price....then there's shipping!!
Thanks for your advise though, airmec, and I will be taking that into consideration on my build for sure.
cheers! :drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:07 pm 

Write me at chevota at hotmail and I'll send a tuning package that will answer many if not all your questions.
It covers your scope mount issue, reverse recoil problem and problems you didn't know you have. No you don't need to buy the Vortek kit, it's nice n all but not needed and imo not worth the price. You will most likely need a new main seal so I'd start looking for that. I'd suggest an oem Diana seal since I haven't found a better one so far. You could try the Vortek O-ring version I spoze but I'd pass on the regular Vortek seal. You could also try this place; http://airrifleheadquarters.com but I can't say which seals are best or if any are as good as the oem Diana.
Remind me of who you are and your gun when you write so I can throw in data more specific to that gun.