Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:39 pm 

I pulled apart my 2560 today and swapped it over to the new style one with the internal stop.... Here are the old and new parts....

I am now using a 10-32 machine screw with a piece of 7/32" OD tubing slid onto it for the guide.... Then you slide on the spring and an aluminum collar that hits the end of the gap adjusting bolt when cocking the gun and compresses the spring.... The stop nut is turned from a piece of 5/16" rod, drilled and tapped 10-32 and tightened against the end of the brass tube.... I start out a bit longer than I need and keep shortening the tube until I can get the gun shooting on the plateau with no gap.... Once I get the right length, I install the stop nut with a drop of blue Loctite, tightened against the end of the tube.... The stop nut has a slot in the end for this purpose.... The gap adjusting nut is drilled just over 5/16" because the stop nut has to slide through it.... The end cap is tapped 7/16"-20NF for the adjusting bolt, and then counterbored just over 7/16" to miss the cocking collar.... At the bottom of the photo is the original SSG I made.... You can see how much shorter the new guide is.... Below is the new SSG assembly, ready for installation....

When the gun is uncocked, the stop nut is recessed about 1/2" inside the gap adjusting bolt, so you can't see it.... Compare this with the one above, where the stop nut and bumper O-ring (no longer required) are outside the gap adjusting bolt.... Below is what the gun now looks like when cocked....

This installation is much cleaner, and there is no way you can pinch your fingers like could happen with the old one.... However, you still have a cocking indicator because the stop nut (the part with the slot) is visible when cocked.... With no gap I had about 985 fps, which I could adjust down to whatever I wanted.... At 1-1/2 turns out the velocity was just over 900 fps and the gun was very quiet.... I ended up about 1 turn out, with a average velocity of 960 fps, the same as I had before.... I might have lost a couple of shots compared to the first SSG, but I have still gained about 40% more shots per fill than without the SSG.... and I no longer have to worry about pinching my fingers and I can wrap my thumb over the wrist of the stock again because is it so much more compact.... The efficiency is around 1.40 FPE/CI....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:43 pm 

Cool. 8)

Took some "personal" time this morning too...and thinned out the scrap box a bit. :wink:

Al

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:12 pm 

AHA!.... the fun begins.... :twisted:

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:51 pm 

Since I received no comment upon my last post. Please let me know when your design catches up to steak and rice stir fry rice . lol :D

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:13 pm 

Dinner at Kim's?.... I'm in !!!

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:22 pm 

Just let me know the majority of flavour deer, moose, elk or bear. Sorry about your luck it'll be smoked, my choice and the cook rules...lmfao

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:52 am 

Kim does make some mighty fine jalapeno chedder smokies......just sayin. 8)

Bit more time in the garage after supper. :)

Scrounged up enough parts to assemble an otherwise stock-ish 2240. No chrony numbers tonight, but does flush a 14.3 CPHP in a well seasoned 2x4. First test shot had a bit of the usual BRaappp...turned the adjuster bushing out a half turn and....GONE. Crisp snap to it now like I've NEVER heard from a 2240. 8)

Still need to trim the guide rod to length and add a screw driver slot to it...and make a proper pin spanner to adjust the bushing...already scratched the brass turning the bushing with a screwdriver. :oops:

Curious to see how fast it's actually running...and how many shots per cartridge...tomorrow.

Thanks Bob. 8)

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:57 am 

I've been wondering how long it would take for somebody to try this on CO2.... :lol:

Any bets?.... twice the shot count?....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:57 pm 

Al? I am surprised you own a bare bones 2240. :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:32 pm 

Now thats what I be talking about. Bob and Al, love the clean looks. :shock:
Hitting that nice 6# moose roast covered in minced garlic, rolled in dark brown sugar wrapped in baccon. Coated with coarse ground 5 blend pepper cones. Smoking with hickory chips.......oops lost train of thought thats tonights supper.....ha ha. :lol: :lol:

Looking great guys, just need more creativity submissions of the system in different gun applications. Suspect little better then double from a powerlet.

Regards

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:20 pm 

Hey, cavemen started with a chunk o' meat on a stick.... making the equipment pretty came as a later development.... *LOL*....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:03 pm 

Seems I do now Rick...took some scrounging. :wink:

Took some tinkering to get this working sort of right. Initial shot count was no better than stock. Seemed like too much dwell due, I suspected to too much striker mass. Tried it with a hipac and could only manage a decreasing string from 2000psi. Sooo...put the striker on a diet.

Still too much hit. :roll: Changed to a spring that I thought was WAY too light and got an increasing string with the hipac. Cocking effort is pretty much the same as stock.

Also made the spanner wrench...WAY easier to make adjustments now.

So back to the 12g carts...not really "tuned", just enough preload to pierce the carts and about a .030" gap. Quieter than before and no cloud of co2....and no braapp. :wink: Zeros are a read error on the chrony.

Pretty pleased with these as initial results, will do more tweaking yet....which is the fun part. 8)

Al

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:29 pm 

over 400 FPE from one cartridge for a first string ain't too shabby.... 8)

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 pm 

T'will suffice for a start. :) Figure a longer barrel might improve that somewhat...have a 10" kicking around. May choke up the transfer port a little if the velocity picks up with the barrel change.

Have a valve modified (stem diameter increased) for increased closing force/reduced dwell kicking around too...

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:48 am 

Nice string their Al. Which brings about the question. Whats your shop's ambient temperature?

Oh and Bob its still just fire and smoke, with a chunk o meat on a spit vs a stick. Dressed up, taste oh so, so much better....lol..

Whitewolf

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next