Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:25 am 

Hi to all fellow plinkers,

Been lurking here for many months now and finally decided to introduce myself to the rest out there.
I have been active in the WCFT get togethers, and have made many new friends in person already.
And their first question is ...whats your forum name? Ummmm........ I'm too shy to post on forums :oops:

Why I had chosen the name Metal Mouse is due to the Mouse Targets I had made for FT practice.
(Will try to post some pictures once I relearn how) Someone had mentioned MightyMouse and I was tempted..... but after seeing
some of the devestating power of these HP PCP I don't think "Mighty" would hold up for that much punishment.

I would like to say that this site has some great intellectuals that I look up to. Kudos to you for posting your experiences and findings. Many online searches have and will always linked me to the wealth of informatioin I have soaked up here. Birds of a feather flock together.

My background as a Toolmaker makes me always want to tinker and build things. I enjoy tuning stuff and better still designing and making stuff. There have been many awesome builds posted that have wet my appetite of building my own PCP.
Designs have been sketched and the details of fine tuning its mechanics is what stage I am at now.
So many revisions that my design folder is a mess..... sorry I digress.

Anyhoo just wanted to finally say "Hi Stranger!" to all my fellow AirGunners out there.
I consider myself a Newbee and have much to learn about still.

Thanks for reading my silly long intro. :D
And friends call me...

Bren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:30 am 

Hi - MM!

Welcome to the CAF.

Sounds like you will fit in here just fine with your metal working skills (don't be surprised if you have members here asking for your help in building air gun stuff).

Lots of helpful members here to bounce your ideas off of as well (but not me - I have 2 left thumbs when it comes to building anything...).

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:15 am 

Glad you entered the light Bren. looking forward to your build. If you have been lurking long, you will know that we love pictures. especially of air gun building. I have found photobucket very easy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:46 pm 

Thanks Joe and wllm995 for your warm welcome.

I will look into an image sharing site once I do find something decent worth sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:40 am 

Welcome to the forum Bren! Your mice have been such fun to shoot at, especially for my son who was so proud when he first managed to knock one down at 18 metres. Really well designed and tough, though the tails suffer a bit from the more hard-hitting airguns as you say.

No need to get overly humble about your skills. That airgun design you're working on boggles my mind a bit from the stuff you showed a while back at Mission. Going to be something pretty special. Are you going to build your own pressure tube, or go with a Cothran tube, or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:57 am 

Hey Bren!

Good work on joining up, helps us stay in contact. Those mice are a great time! It goes from frustrating to satisfying really quick knocking those little guys down with their very small target zones.

Oh, and I found my space cylinder... It's not looking great, must have been some water under it, so a part of one side is rusted up. Still seems to be holding about 60 bar of pressure, though. Definitely will need the replacement air gauge. I'll bring it along on the next shoots in case you still want it.

Can't wait to see your design / build.

Cheers,

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:59 pm 

Hi Gerard and Mike,

Hope both of you can head out this weekend at Mission R&G club.

Well I had taken the plunge and signed up at photobucket, and now eager to test some image post.
ImageImageImage
Wow it works! This is a gas through bolt design I had on the back burners for many years. Something borrowed from my Paint Balling days. It is in the roughing concept phase right now and far from completion. Wish I knew how to show animations. Some of the mechanics do interact very nicely.

As to Gearards question about cylinders... thoughts about adapting my Hatsan cyl. and valve into the buil.... or plan to use an adjustable external regulated tank to charge the plenum via a remote line. (AGD Flatline) Ideas are floating in my head and all I need to do is drop it in an assembly.

I will leave any further discussions about design work on another topic. Don't want to clutter this intro page up.

Cheers,

Bren

PS - Including Threads and Springs, just eat up so much resources on my computer that I just hide drawings to save time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:56 pm 

There are apps out there to convert animations into animated gifs, which are uploadable here. I own Mac, so the odds say suggesting an app would be pointless. Good hunting, and I'm looking forward to seeing your build unfold.

Edit: Meanwhile, are your metal mice still available?

Last edited by Edmonton<500 on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:39 pm 

Welcome Bren!
Long time no hear!
Glad you have stepped from the shadows of a lurker! :D

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
Welcome Bren!
Long time no hear!
Glad you have stepped from the shadows of a lurker! :D

Hi ya... Rick!

Was wondering when you would pop up :wink:
Looks like its going to be a fun adventure.
I hope to be able to see you soon this year.
Its too bad we did not sit back and enjoy some :drinkers: while you lived down here.

And thanks for the warm welcome!

Bren

Last edited by MetalMouse on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:38 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
There are apps out there to convert animations into animated gifs, which are uploadable here. I own Mac, so the odds say suggesting an app would be pointless. Good hunting, and I'm looking forward to seeing your build unfold.

Edit: Meanwhile, are your metal mice still available?

Sorry :oops: but My Mouse Targets are mostly one offs. Only 3 units made and one Franken Rat that was a real 3D treat.
Many have asked, but I had only lent them out for field testing (more like destructive testing) and they have survived some real hard punishment. 35ftlb.
Best way to find your weak spots. Parts were mostly handmade from scrap materials from the scrap bin, so no 2 will ever be the same.
I am a junkyard dog :mrgreen: always hording chunks of metal under my work bench. My access to a Tig welder is something of the past for now. If it were not, I would be making tons of different designs in my garage and sharing them with those who wanted one.
Have some starlings and grouse cut plates just sitting there awaiting for some TLC. Should post some of my home made targets on that other post.

Or .... I can post a DIY on how I made my own...... LMK if interested.

Funny I am using a Mac right now. But just thinking about that animated stuff makes my head hurt. I am just a beginner with my CAD stuff and have only videoed it on my cell phn and showed it to a few. May be Gerard can help post one of my vids I had sent him? I really admire his GIFs posted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:26 am 

MetalMouse wrote:
Hi Gerard and Mike,

Hope both of you can head out this weekend at Mission R&G club.

Well I had taken the plunge and signed up at photobucket, and now eager to test some image post.
ImageImageImage
Wow it works! This is a gas through bolt design I had on the back burners for many years. Something borrowed from my Paint Balling days. It is in the roughing concept phase right now and far from completion. Wish I knew how to show animations. Some of the mechanics do interact very nicely.

As to Gearards question about cylinders... thoughts about adapting my Hatsan cyl. and valve into the buil.... or plan to use an adjustable external regulated tank to charge the plenum via a remote line. (AGD Flatline) Ideas are floating in my head and all I need to do is drop it in an assembly.

I will leave any further discussions about design work on another topic. Don't want to clutter this intro page up.

Cheers,

Bren

PS - Including Threads and Springs, just eat up so much resources on my computer that I just hide drawings to save time.

Welcome to the madness there Bren. Nice lay out of the flow thru bolt. Its a design that a few others and I worked into when the Crooked Barn 32 cal pistols were build upon the 2240 platforms. Suggest orings either side of the bolt port vs a single under the bolt.

Enjoy yourself here.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:50 am 

Hi Whitewolf,

That Crooked Barn 32 is a Work of Art!
Awesome Muzzel Brake design. Did Rick or Kim machine that? Nice Job Guys!
That RVA caught my eye due to its pull to cock design. (I'm Guessing here).

topic69549.html

I was planning to lap the bolt for a metal to metal seal.... but see merits on adding the o-rings to help seal any leaks.
Easy enough to sketch it in. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:40 am 

MetalMouse wrote:
Hi Whitewolf,

That Crooked Barn 32 is a Work of Art!
Awesome Muzzel Brake design. Did Rick or Kim machine that? Nice Job Guys!
That RVA caught my eye due to its pull to cock design. (I'm Guessing here).

topic69549.html

I was planning to lap the bolt for a metal to metal seal.... but see merits on adding the o-rings to help seal any leaks.
Easy enough to sketch it in. Thanks for the tip.

That is Kim's work, Bren!

he 's got the imagination! 8)

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177