Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 pm
Posts: 87
My 953 (recently picked up from PA) hasn't been getting much attention, because of another project. I doubt I've put more than 30 pellets through it since I picked it up.

Now that I've got the scope and a butt extension sorted out, I'm starting to shoot it more.

It seems to be shooting a little slow.

Using 8.2 gr Meisterkugeln wadcutters, I'm only seeing an average of 408 FPS. Others have reported as much as 440 FPS from a stock 953, using heavier pellets.

Mine is very accurate, and the SD and spread are reasonable at 5.0 and 17 FPS respectively, so I don't think it's a leaker.

Do these rifles speed up as they wear in, or do I need to think about a tuneup?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4114
408fps is quite low for a 953....you might have gotten a dud..
No it will not improve with time...only with a tune..

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3574
Location: Edmonton
I'm going to say YES and NO, but first I'm wondering what your concern may be about this rifle's performance. It's cheap. It's accurate, and any possible velocity variation between one 953 and another would not make it any more than what it is: a plinker. Hence, my seemingly meaningless answer. Here's what I mean.

No. these rifles will not gain much in speed as they wear in. The 953s are mass-produced, low-end, single-pump pneumatics, and tolerances will most certainly vary from one gun to the other. I have three of them (club loaners - looking for one or two more), and they all shot at different velocities out of the box (~420-450 IIRC). But at 10 metres they all shoot with the same relative accuracy, and even extending it to 15 metres, patterns were very similar.

Yes. These rifles will improve with use. As a single-pump pneumatic, the 953 should produce very consistent muzzle velocities. This consistency factor (leading to better accuracy) will improve with use. But the rifle will turn into nothing more than an accurate plinker. 410 or 450, it's still only a plinker.

As for tuning, I guess all rifles will show some improvement with a stripping, cleaning and re-lubing. Ace has likely worked on these rifles, but nonetheless, knows much more about that than I. He also has a thread on this forum about improving the trigger pull, but I'm not sure if we have consensus on the safety factor of same (Ace was challenged on its safety, but in later posts the uncertainty seemed to have diminished - chat with Ace about this). Obviously, the more you put into it, with limitations, the better the output. But the question is, how much time, effort, and dollars do you want to invest in a $70 plinker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 661
Location: Mississauga, ON
Seems a bit weak. Do the piston mod as described by Ace here: post402411.html?
Quick, easy, works. Then leave it alone.

_________________
Daisy 953 * QB78D * Walther 1894 * Beretta CX4 & PX4 * Zoraki HP01 * Beeman P17 * Walther CP88 Comp. * Crosman 1377/2240/SA6/357-8
Swiss Arms P92 * Colt Commander 1911 * Walther PPK * P08 * Colt Python 357 * TW 1911/Limited * S&W M&P R8


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4114
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Ace was challenged on its safety, but in later posts the uncertainty seemed to have diminished - chat with Ace about this).

Murray the trigger job safety your talking about was the one I did on my Ben classic .22....and its still working and shooting fine thanks.... :D
but I did do a trigger job on the 953 as well...here it is topic61086.html no issues either and still working great.... :mrgreen:

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 pm
Posts: 87
Before pulling out the chronograph, I was stacking pellets most of the time.

Aside from accuracy, I have no reason to want more velocity:
- I shoot indoors at fairly short range, and quiet is of primary importance.
- I don't want to damage other things in the room while plinking at reactive targets.
- I'm not into hunting.
- I don't get many opportunities to travel to out-of-town club events.

I was only really concerned about the slowest shot of the string (397 fps). While tuning my 2240, I found that consistency dropped when I got below 400 fps.

My only pressing reason to take the Daisy apart at the moment, is to work on the trigger.

I had to take most of the hammer spring preload out of the 2240 to get it shooting in the mid-440's with a longer .177 barrel, and that really improved the trigger feel.

It still isn't match-grade, but the 953 feels like a tank in comparison. Even my unmodified $60 Crosman Vigilante feels better for that matter, at least in single action.

Still, I might take a look at the 953's piston and seals while I'm in there...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4114
BassmanSteve wrote:
- I shoot indoors at fairly short range, and quiet is of primary importance.
...

there you go...well said...
do the trigger job and enjoy it ...
because the little rise in fps for indoor would make much deference... :wink:

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3574
Location: Edmonton
Ace wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Ace was challenged on its safety, but in later posts the uncertainty seemed to have diminished - chat with Ace about this).

Murray the trigger job safety your talking about was the one I did on my Ben classic .22....and its still working and shooting fine thanks.... :D
but I did do a trigger job on the 953 as well...here it is topic61086.html no issues either and still working great.... :mrgreen:


Apologies for the mix-up. My bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:35 pm
Posts: 87
From what I've been reading, the 953 trigger job documented on the Pilkguns website probably originated from a tuning video that Daisy distributes to shooting coaches.

They are a reputable outfit, and it looks like a pretty simple job as long as you're careful about the angles when setting up to drill the trigger guard, and don't overdo undercutting the tip of the tang on the front of the trigger.

Hundreds of coaches and cadets can't be all wrong...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4114
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Ace wrote:
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Ace was challenged on its safety, but in later posts the uncertainty seemed to have diminished - chat with Ace about this).

Murray the trigger job safety your talking about was the one I did on my Ben classic .22....and its still working and shooting fine thanks.... :D
but I did do a trigger job on the 953 as well...here it is topic61086.html no issues either and still working great.... :mrgreen:


Apologies for the mix-up. My bad.

don't sweat it bud...just wanted to make that correction... :wink: :wink:

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:46 am
Posts: 4114
BassmanSteve wrote:
From what I've been reading, the 953 trigger job documented on the Pilkguns website probably originated from a tuning video that Daisy distributes to shooting coaches.

They are a reputable outfit, and it looks like a pretty simple job as long as you're careful about the angles when setting up to drill the trigger guard, and don't overdo undercutting the tip of the tang on the front of the trigger.

Hundreds of coaches and cadets can't be all wrong...


your correct Steve..the trigger job is not that difficult as long as you pay attention to the drill angle and the amount you cut off...
this mod will greatly improve the 953 much more then the piston mod...I think the trigger job is a must if you really want to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as possible... :wink:

_________________
"A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle"

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO