Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: New from the Yukon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:46 pm 

Hello
I have been thinking about getting an AG and thinking a 2240 is the right fit. Found a member on here that has one for sale, so have joined.

Anyway I am trying to learn more about the 2240 and mods that seem so popular. Namely the AG I am looking at has a longer barrel? Can't find any reference to why. Sure it has to be here some place. (Don't want to repeat topics) Anyone able to point me to something?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: New from the Yukon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:52 pm 

Hi - welcome to the CAF!

The 2240 is by far the most modifiable air gun out there.

You can add a longer barrel (for more fps and greater accuracy); a steel breech kit (to allow you to mount scopes and other things better) a better trigger; better sights; etc, etc...

All you have to watch out for is to keep it under 500 fps - or it turns into a Restricted pistol and you require an R-PAL to own it and use it (at an approved gun range only).

Feel free to use the "Search" function at the top right of the page to look up more info on the "Crosman 2240"

Have fun with your 2240...

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:56 pm 

Thanks wllm

I have a R-PAL and am clear on the implications, but of course it has to be said! So for me it is more about usability. Not having the gun range only implication.

Yes I tried to use the search function, but you get so much on the 2240 and most seemed to be about converting to 177. That I have no desire for. Knew that someone would have the answer to the barrel length question. Speed was my guess from my fire arm exp. but wanted it confirmed.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:26 pm 

Greetings!
The 2240's a Great start!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:45 am 

Not sure exactly what you are looking for in the way of info, but if you're looking for confirmation that a longer barrel will yield higher fps, then you have it. Swap in a 10-12" barrel and you had better have a chrony on hand to check its output against the 500 fps limit. It's possible you may need to lighten the hammer to remain <500.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:54 pm 

Thanks for the info. Not sure what I want or need to do. Just educating myself so I can make better choices. Next step is to get one in hand and see what it can do, then decide what to change...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:17 pm 

Also remember the 2240's ...or ANY CO2's aren't the best performers outdoors in the kind of climate you have 9 months of the year.I found THAT out this winter with mine.Fps really drops in the cold.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:19 pm 

Yes the cold is a issue. I am not looking for a winter gun but fall for sure. How bad would it be in the 0 - 10 C range? What pistol might be more suitable, and give much of the same as the 2240?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 pm 

Well I would see a fall off of 40 to 50 fps in +5 degrees compared to a 25 degree summer day.That's significant......If you load up and shoot quickly it will cool even more.They're great guns but they're best in summer or indoors.Can't beat them for mods thats for sure....they really dress up nice.Hard to say what YOU would like because not everybody likes pumpers.....as in the 1322.Clack..…clack....clack,..etc.But one thing is nice with pumpers you can vary the power output with each pump.
Not as affected by cold....mine would lose about 10 fps or so in the middle of winter outdoors.That's all.Still fully usable.
But there's that darn pumping. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:07 pm 

You could invest to convert a 2240 to HPA; to make it over 500 fps and legal (assuming you have your PAL), you would need to use a rifle tube (e.g., a 2260 tube). At that point, with all the basic mods done (yourself), you would be pushing and perhaps surpassing a $250 investment. For just a few dollars more your options open up considerably.

MyCrosman raises a good point. A springer or HPA is the best option in your climate. ("The" Yukon?) He should know, living in the Fort/Port (alias Thunder Bay). :)
(and I should talk, living in Edmonton).