Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hayabusa 7mm Testing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:43 pm 

Nearly a year ago I assembled a 7mm version of my Hayabusa PCP.... Right after that my ShoeBox compressor quit on me, and by the time I had my new Freedom 8 up and running we were busy in the Motel and I never got a chance to even shoot a shot string.... Today I rectified that situation.... First, here is the gun....

I built it on the .308/.357 version of my Hayabusa test platform, using the same valve, which ends up being full bore size porting in 7mm (.284 cal).... The tank is a 22 CI, 3000 psi unit, and the tube above it is 100 cc, with a large passage between, so the reservoir is a total of 460 cc.... The main difference with the 7mm is that I am using a barrel that is tensioned to about 1000 lb. using Belleville washers, to make it super stiff.... I intend to shoot this gun most of the time tethered to my Great White 88 CF 4500 psi tank, through a Ninja regulator modified for inline use, and set to 2900 psi.... Therefore, the first step was to determine what the maximum velocity was at that pressure, and where the knee of the curve was, so that I knew about how to adjust the preload.... Here is a graph of velocity vs. preload at 2900 psi, shooting my 96.5 gr. Bob's Boattail bullets....

As you can see, the gun peaks at 950 fps, which is 193 FPE, just about exactly what I was hoping for.... with the knee of the curve from 4 to 6 turns out on the preload.... I then removed the regulator from the system, filled the gun to 3000 psi, and shot some strings at various preloads to see what the shot strings were like.... I did three strings with the FN 96.5 gr., and then one with the 91.0 gr. HollowPoint version, and you can see the results below....

With the hammer spring preload at 4 turns out from maximum, I got five shots averaging 181 FPE ending at 2520 psi for 0.98 FPE/CI.... At 6 turns out, I got 7 shots averaging 171 FPE ending at 2420 psi for 1.07 FPE/CI.... and at 8 turns out, I got 13 shots averaging 157 FPE ending at 2060 psi for 1.21 FPE/CI.... With the Holowpoints, at 4 turns out, I got five shots averaging 179 FPE ending at 2500 psi for 0.93 FPE/CI, with the first four shots averaging 948 fps (181 FPE) within an ES of just 17 fps (1.8%).... and of course tethered it will be even tighter.... So, I can shoot on the tether at right about 1.0 FPE/CI (just fine for that use), or get 4 full power shots off tether, at 180+ FPE.... which should be just fine for hunting, as I do that from my Rhino ATV with the tank in the back....

The plan is that once the snow melts I can get some proper testing done at longer ranges.... in preparation for Varmint season in the spring....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

Post subject: Re: Hayabusa 7mm Testing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:49 pm 

You do remarkable work, Bob.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:45 pm 

Bob? Did you put your new SSG(tuner) into the Hayabusa?

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:55 pm 

Nope, at least not yet.... I'm a bit concerned that trying to get 1.5 FPE of hammer energy with one might prove difficult.... :lol:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!