Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Rifle Balance
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:07 pm 
Supporting Member

I learned something new today. It probably isn't new to most, but I thought some low information folks like me might be interested. I did a search but couldn't find a thread about this.

I've been in the habit of routinely doing a lube tune and trigger mod/tune, and also adding weight to the butt stocks of my rifles to move the balance point to just ahead of the trigger.

It has worked well, except for my Crosman Nitro Venom. It was extremely hold sensitive, and I just couldn't get it to group well.

I had tried various other scopes and was almost ready to give up on it but yesterday when I put my heaviest scope on, with no other changes it started to put pellets in the same hole at 25 metres.

I got the lead out of my butt (sorry, I couldn't resist), put the original scope back on, and it's now grouping just fine.

I'm sure that someone here knows the "formula" for balance of an air rifle, but I don't and I guess I was just lucky until it came to the nitro venom.

I'd be really interested to understand more about how the fore and aft balance works.

Peter :D

Post subject: Re: Rifle Balance
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:11 pm 

I've relocated weight on all sorts of air-arms, and never had a hiccup. . . . But I am playing it safe. . . . I've never tried to redistribute a springer. . . .

With springers it's my understanding, that they are balanced using Voo-Doo and Black Magic . . . :mrgreen:

But it sounds like you've already experiencing hints of that! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:12 pm 

I try to balance my springers so my support hand balances the gun close to the middle of the compression tube when cocked. Can't remember where I read it, but it seems to work.
Sounds like the voodoo is strong in your nitro venom. :D

I'm not multitasking. I'm doing something else until I remember what I was doing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:55 pm 
Supporting Member

Hmmm. Voodoo huh? :shock:

Kind of ironic, when the reason I feel the need to practice daily is to defend against the coming zombie apocalypse.

Maybe with the strong voodoo in my nitro venom it'll be especially effective. 8)

I'm ready for 'em! :x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:41 pm 

As far as balancing I think you should focus your energy so the piston movement has minimal effect on the guns movement. When fired the gun will tilt barrel up, then down, which can sling pellets all over, plus whatever barrel whip it adds. I don't have a high speed camera so I can't say how much barrel whip is reduced once balanced better, which would vary from gun to gun anyway, but balance does help.
Overall gun weight and your hold are much bigger factors imo. Aside from that there are many other factors that affect accuracy, especially with cheaper guns so a perfect balance may have little or no effect. So not voodoo/magic, just a lot of factors and poor quality. I don't even bother with balance, I consider the scope enough and the rest is all those other factors which are much more important and easier to fix.
I'd have to see your gun to decide what I'd do to it, but I think the biggest factor is bore quality which in a chinese gun is poor. I start by sanding the bore, but often a new barrel is a better option.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:48 pm 
Supporting Member

So, it looks like balance is very subjective, depending on the individual gun, and the individual shooter.

Right now my nitro venom is shooting at 940 fps with excellent accuracy using JSB Exact 4.51 pellets from Dan.

I've changed the shape at the front of the fore-stock, refinished the stock, added and removed weight, added little "gritty tape" pads where my right hand little finger and thumb go, and a strip on the rear of the stock so that it can rest ever so lightly on my shoulder, yet have a little stability, and done a lube tune and trigger mod. I also took off the very light plastic muzzle brake (break?) which seems to be only for looks. I thought when I was having accuracy trouble that it might be interfering with the exiting pellets like a bad crown. When I got it off, the crown looks just fine but I haven't put it back on, and I don't miss its sharp edge scraping my hand each time I cock the gun. :shock:

Everything is working really well, but now a .22 caliber barrel I ordered from Rob at R&R is about to arrive so I'll take it all apart again, and start some more fun. It'll be my first high powered .22 rifle and I hope I can make it as accurate as the .177 has become.