Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:36 pm 

Sorry, I have not yet taken the time to take a picture of my unit. Then again, there are plenty of images on the web.

Ordered this past Thursday, arrived Monday; kudos to D&L and Canada Post!

Grips are right hand, the only available. They feel very good for two handed shooting, and quite good for left handed shooting, but only because I have long and slender fingers. Either way, the gun points perfectly for me. Just for the fun of it, I plan to build left handed wooden grips eventually.

The sight picture is is very good; solid front sight post, rear sight slot width with generous light on either side, great for aging eyes. I would have preferred a straight top edge, rather than an angled one - Cometa is probably the only gun manufacturer doing this and it is not a big problem. The rear sight can not be adjusted for elevation and the Indian has a reputation for shooting low. This is not the case with my unit, factory settings were right on target at 10 yards, shooting left handed and two handed*. Overall, the sights are definitely better than I expected.

The single stage trigger has a relatively long pull that is very smooth. Pull weight is around four pounds. Again, the trigger is better than I had expected.

Initial muzzle velocity, after cleaning the gun of storage grease, five shots each, avg. 500.7 ft/ s with RWS Hobby 7.0 gr.; 431.2 ft/s with RWS Super-H-Hollow Point 6.9 gr.

The pistol is perfectly balanced on the trigger finger in shooting position. That and the solid weight of the pistol make for a steady hold.

Loading is very easy. That long cocking lever does a fantastic job compressing the main spring with very little strength needed. It requires less than half the effort needed to cock a P17 and no danger of pinching your hand!

Fit and finish is very good, including the bluing. Solid build, smooth action.

Manual: useless. A few small pieces of paper held together by a single staple, explains cocking and loading procedure in three languages, nothing about maintenance. This is not a problem for experienced air gunners, but what about newbies?

Great value for the money, in my opinion. How much longer will this price hold, considering the low C$ ?

*A final note: I only got the Indian to shoot low with a two handed hold, muzzle end supported.

OzzieM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:51 pm 

Great info/review, Ozzie. Please be assured, though, that pictures of your unit might be disappointing, and what we'd really like to see is your Cometa Indian (as well as some performance info).

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:30 pm 

Ooooo, you are a DIRTY old man, Murray.
O.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:59 pm 

I shower daily, even at my age. Some things, soap and water can't handle! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:04 pm 

Yes, I agree with you there. Now, back to the main topic of the posting...
O.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:50 pm 

Forgive the wandering mind of an old man. :rolleyes:

I've tried the Cometa, and I was very impressed with the exception of the plastic breech, which seemed to be a design point offering high potential for negative performance shifts over time. That's my PC description. What I meant to say was, why would a pistol that is seemingly well-engineered use a plastic breech. Price point is an obvious rationale, but would a steel breech add that much cost to a handgun that is leagues below the cost of entry-level guns in its genre?

Also, although my experience was brief, I didn't particularly find the cocking to be that light. I found the Cometa easier to cock than my beloved P17, but not necessarily lighter in strength requirement. I admit that even the P17 tires me quickly (fun should not be that much work after 10-20 minutes - and not to mention my Alectro .177 at more than two pumps :lol: ), but I don't find it much easier for its genre.

$0.00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 am 

OzzieM wrote:
Sorry, I have not yet taken the time to take a picture of my unit. Then again, there are plenty of images on the web.

Ordered this past Thursday, arrived Monday; kudos to D&L and Canada Post!

Grips are right hand, the only available. They feel very good for two handed shooting, and quite good for left handed shooting, but only because I have long and slender fingers. Either way, the gun points perfectly for me. Just for the fun of it, I plan to build left handed wooden grips eventually.

The sight picture is is very good; solid front sight post, rear sight slot width with generous light on either side, great for aging eyes. I would have preferred a straight top edge, rather than an angled one - Cometa is probably the only gun manufacturer doing this and it is not a big problem. The rear sight can not be adjusted for elevation and the Indian has a reputation for shooting low. This is not the case with my unit, factory settings were right on target at 10 yards, shooting left handed and two handed*. Overall, the sights are definitely better than I expected.

The single stage trigger has a relatively long pull that is very smooth. Pull weight is around four pounds. Again, the trigger is better than I had expected.

Initial muzzle velocity, after cleaning the gun of storage grease, five shots each, avg. 500.7 ft/ s with RWS Hobby 7.0 gr.; 431.2 ft/s with RWS Super-H-Hollow Point 6.9 gr.

The pistol is perfectly balanced on the trigger finger in shooting position. That and the solid weight of the pistol make for a steady hold.

Loading is very easy. That long cocking lever does a fantastic job compressing the main spring with very little strength needed. It requires less than half the effort needed to cock a P17 and no danger of pinching your hand!

Fit and finish is very good, including the bluing. Solid build, smooth action.

Manual: useless. A few small pieces of paper held together by a single staple, explains cocking and loading procedure in three languages, nothing about maintenance. This is not a problem for experienced air gunners, but what about newbies?

Great value for the money, in my opinion. How much longer will this price hold, considering the low C$ ?

*A final note: I only got the Indian to shoot low with a two handed hold, muzzle end supported.

OzzieM

I'm in total agreement, one of My Favourites, just received My Black one. Love to have Left handed grips, can't believe after making this for over twenty years, that they haven't made them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:04 am 

Quote:
I've tried the Cometa, and I was very impressed with the exception of the plastic breech, which seemed to be a design point offering high potential for negative performance shifts over time. That's my PC description. What I meant to say was, why would a pistol that is seemingly well-engineered use a plastic breech. Price point is an obvious rationale, but would a steel breech add that much cost to a handgun that is leagues below the cost of entry-level guns in its genre?

Also, although my experience was brief, I didn't particularly find the cocking to be that light. I found the Cometa easier to cock than my beloved P17, but not necessarily lighter in strength requirement. I admit that even the P17 tires me quickly (fun should not be that much work after 10-20 minutes - and not to mention my Alectro .177 at more than two pumps :lol: ), but I don't find it much easier for its genre.

Real steel would be my ideal as well, Murray. However, over time I have been persuaded by some popular firearms making copious use of plastics that seem to stand the test of heavy use. As for the Indian, time will tell.

To iterate, I find the cocking of this pistol to be very easy. Technique?

O.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:06 pm 

Subsequent findings:

Initial maximum force required to cock the pistol: 8.8 lbf, or 40 N. After approximately 350 rounds greased the cocking rack. The cocking cycle is very smooth now and requires a maximum force of 7.7 lbf, or 35 N.

This is a very quiet pistol. With the door closed, one cannot hear the gun discharge in the next room.

Shooting the Indian one handed I get occasional flyers, which are my fault. Shooting it two handed there are no flyers. This Indian and my S&W 586 will be the ones I might prefer to shoot two handed (Note: my Steyr LP10, the Beeman P17, the Pardini .22 lr and the Alfa Proj .22 lr I shoot one handed).

The cocking lever is laterally flexible and will mark the compression tube. I applied electricians tape along both sides of the compression tube to prevent marking. The tape is nearly unnoticeable. The cocking lever is absolutely rigid in the direction of applied force.

O.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:33 pm 

OzzieM wrote:
Ooooo, you are a DIRTY old man, Murray.
O.

Yes he is! DOM! Not "drawn over mandrel", but Dirty Old man! LOL!

If you have a room without fluorescent lighting you should be able to get a decent picture.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:42 pm 

Quote:
If you have a room without fluorescent lighting you should be able to get a decent picture.

Lighting is not a problem. I just don't want to join any photo hosting website, which prevents me from posting pictures on this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:55 pm 

OzzieM wrote:
I just don't want to join any photo hosting website, which prevents me from posting pictures on this forum.

You can post pictures directly to this forum. I just did a couple of minutes ago. There may be a limit on size but I don't know for sure. You may also be limited to three pictures per post. The one I just posted was a 1024x680 .jpg and just under 300,000 bytes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:06 pm 

Although I don't work in the Windows environment, I can likely help you out, Ozzie. PM me if you're interested in adding pix to your posts regularly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:12 pm 

The absence of rear sight elevation is ridiculous, and the reason I sold mine quickly. I enjoyed the look, trigger and balance. I didn't seem to be too hold-sensitive, either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:46 am 

Quote:
Although I don't work in the Windows environment, I can likely help you out, Ozzie. PM me if you're interested in adding pix to your posts regularly.

Thank you, Murray, I will take advantage of your offer. I don't work in the Microsoft environment either. My iPad meets all my needs. I'll take pictures tomorrow and send them off to you, if you pm me your email address.

Quote:
The absence of rear sight elevation is ridiculous, and the reason I sold mine quickly. I enjoyed the look, trigger and balance. I didn't seem to be too hold-sensitive, either.

The lack of rear sight elevation adjustment has not been an issue for me. Out of the box the sights were perfectly set for shooting at my 30 ft basement range. I have taken the pistol to my firearms range twice and found no adjustment was needed setting the target at 42 ft. There I have the Cometa compete against my Alfa Proj .22 lr revolver, which I shoot at that distance as well.

Finally, I tested the Cometa with several different pellets. The most efficient pellet turned out to be RWS Hobbys 7.0 gr.: avg. muzzle velocity 502 ft/ s, which equals 4.1 ft lbs.

Ozzie